Global shipping to Canad no duties due on items Of $150 or less new Nafta agreement

Do not pay dutieson items shipped to canada for $150 or less new nafta agreement

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Global shipping to Canad no duties due on items Of $150 or less new Nafta agreement

@uwcritch wrote:

Do not pay dutieson items shipped to canada for $150 or less new nafta agreement

New agreement is not called NAFTA. Sales tax still applies.

The new agreement still has to be approved by all governments involved.

Plus where did you find this value of $150 ?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The new treaty is called the USA Mexico Canada Agreement.

Donald has such a lovely way with words, eh?

I wonder if the renaming was meant to deny that Mexico has traditionally been considered part of North America?

The $150 de minimus has been reported on CBC.  Lower than the $200 that eBay officers were lobbying the government for last spring. And much lower than the $1000 the US wanted, which would match their own $800 de minimus.

It will be interesting to see how sales tax is handled. If CBSA is not assessing an import for duty, who would assess sales taxes?  One reason many eBay buyers were shocked by GST charges was that they had never been charged import costs on imports between $20 and $100. and certainly did not realize that what they were mostly paying was sales taxes.

But when they did, it was because the import had been assessed.

I don't think that was well expressed.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Alphabetically speaking it should be Canada , Mexico , USA  

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

MUSACA would be easier to say. And geographically south to north.

Or CUSAMA,  north to south.

Either one would annoy The Donald.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Items valued at more than C$40 will still be subject to sales taxes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/de-minimis-duty-free-1.4845458
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Duties and taxes are not one in the same. We import things from USA weekly and only once have we ever had to pay duty on anything, taxes are a different matter. It was on tires and because they were made in thailand there was a $7 CAD duty per tire plus normal import taxes because it is a rubber product from that country. As in manufactured in that country. A USA made tire has no duty due but will have taxes due.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I don't know about anybody else, but I can count on one hand the number of times my wife and I have been charged duty on anything we've had mailed to us from an international location since 1999.

GST and PST?  Of course.  But duty?  Very rarely.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The " USA Mexico Canada Agreement" has not been signed yet - by anyone , nor has it been approved by the US Congress. lets not get ahead of ourselves up here.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 10 of 10
latest reply