Has eBay banned Quebec buyers or is it a glitch?

I noticed since last night I'm no longer able to buy virtually anything on eBay, everything says it can't be shipped to Quebec even though the sellers ship to Canada.

Is this because of our insane French language laws that ban virtually everything that isn't in French or is it a temporary glitch?

Thank you

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Has eBay banned Quebec buyers or is it a glitch?

I would think/hope it's just a weird glitch. I've shipped many, many times to Quebec including earlier this week and it was delivered yesterday. I have long time regular customers so sure hope all will be okay!

If it's not a glitch in general maybe it has something to do with the type of item you are ordering - not sure if all the items you were trying to purchase were same/similar, ie. trading card, etc. There was a posting here on the forum yesterday, not specifying they were in Quebec, but asking why would a Canadian seller be saying Doesn't Ship to Canada. You can look back it will probably still be here. Maybe something has recently changed in certain categories that affect shipping. Also there has been very recent changes with regards to shipping and rates so possibly glitching while they iron out the kinks.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Can’t tell you what’s up, but if it’s not a glitch, I’d say it’s Québec’s consumer protection laws that are more likely to be responsible than the province’s language laws.

Have you tried buying those problematic items on the French language Canadian eBay site to see if it makes a difference?

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@ccrrefills wrote:

I noticed since last night I'm no longer able to buy virtually anything on eBay, everything says it can't be shipped to Quebec even though the sellers ship to Canada.

Is this because of our insane French language laws that ban virtually everything that isn't in French or is it a temporary glitch?

Thank you

That's a weird one. I don't think there's anything, but eBay rolls things out in stages so who knows. Were you looking on eBay USA or eBay Canada?

When I put a Quebec postal code in for one of my listings it showed properly.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I just sold two items to Quebec with no problem so it must have been a glitch or coincidence that the sellers or items have your location restricted for some reason (for instance if you are in rural area the shipping is higher?) Hopefully it was just a weird glitch because of recent changes to shipping with eBay labels.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

While eBay allows sellers to Block shipping to various destinations, including PO boxes, military addresses, and offshore states and territories, there is no Block allowed on Canadian addresses (except again PO boxes).

There is no way to Block an entire province-- or even a isolated address.

So what did the notice say- word for word. A screenshot would be best.

Otherwise you should look for other reasons for being Blocked.

Have you dealt with the seller before, whether or not you actually purchased? They may have taken a scunner to you and Blocked you personally.

Have you accumulated two or more Strikes for non-payment in the past 12 months? Many sellers have an automatic Block on customers with Strikes?

Do you use a PO Box or commercial equivalent?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

are you referencing the issue is with sellers from within Canada or USA sellers as perhaps is implied by the statement>>"even though the sellers ship to Canada."

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

AFAIK ebay does not block buyers in specific provinces from buying something and sellers can't to do it so my guess is that is a glitch.  Does it actually say 'does not ship to Quebec' or 'does not ship to your location'?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I'm in Quebec and I'm trying to buy something from a Seller in Quebec and it say this:

Unfortunately, this seller will not ship this item to QC, Canada. Here is what you can do:

Update your shipping address and try again.

Find similar items from another seller.

I contacted the seller and he contacted ebay, there is no problem on his side according to him. It's frustrating, I really wanted this item and was happy to find a seller in the same province.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Well, it's the weekend, but

devon@ebay  Any idea what's happening here. Now that there are two reports of the same problem?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If we could see the auction pages, it might help check out the problem.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Well, it's the weekend, but

devon@ebay  Any idea what's happening here. Now that there are two reports of the same problem?

Hi @femmefan1946! This sounds like a glitch but let me reach out to confirm on this. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply