How come a buyer can cancel an action because the higher bidder ask to retract his/her bid?

I have been an E-Bay buyer for my own personal use for some time with %100 feedback. I have always paid on time keeping my account in good standing. Today is my final day as a member because I am tired of dealing with sellers who do not follow policy and E-Bay doesn't do anything about it. I was actually directed by E-Bay Support rep & Manager to contact the seller and buy it outside the site?? Now thats great policy direction. This is one sellers who's not staying a member of a corrupt business practices. I said my peace, "beware the wolf in sheeps clothing". 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

How come a buyer can cancel an action because the higher bidder ask to retract his/her bid?

@scott.dawe wrote:

I have been an E-Bay buyer for my own personal use for some time with %100 feedback. I have always paid on time keeping my account in good standing. Today is my final day as a member because I am tired of dealing with sellers who do not follow policy and E-Bay doesn't do anything about it. I was actually directed by E-Bay Support rep & Manager to contact the seller and buy it outside the site?? Now thats great policy direction. This is one sellers who's not staying a member of a corrupt business practices. I said my peace, "beware the wolf in sheeps clothing". 

Your vent does not make much sense as written.

Did you mean to type:

How come a SELLER can cancel an AUCTION because the higher bidder ask to retract his/her bid?

-..-

100% feedback as a buyer is not difficult these days. It has been years since buyers could get anything but positive feedback. The only ones who can have less than 100% are those who sell, or have been eBay members for more than 8 years.

-..-

"was actually directed by E-Bay Support rep & Manager to contact the seller and buy it outside the site?? Now thats great policy direction"

Those who be support people who don't value their jobs and/or are in need of more training.

-..-

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

It's not over until the fat lady sings.

Buyers can retract bids for a few (too few in my opinion) reasons.

Sellers can cancel bids for no reason except a gut feeling or on the request of a buyer.

Both of these are reasonable responses to an ever changing marketplace.

If you are having problems with bidding in auctions, bid once, bid your maximum.

Many buyers add bid late in the auction.

These simple suggestions cover most problems seen on eBay auctions.

Better, in my opinion is to ignore all auctions entirely and purchase from Fixed Price listings.

You will know in advance what you will pay, and you will receive your item up to seven days faster.

Over 85% of eBay transactions are now Fixed Price.

directed by E-Bay Support rep & Manager to contact the seller and buy it outside the site?

There's something missing here.

Usually the problem with winning after a higher bid was Retracted or Cancelled is that the selling price remains at the price the underbidder was willing to pay when there was a higher bid.

(eg You bid $100 and are the underbidder at $100 to a high bidder at $110. When the high bid is removed, your bid stays at $100, because only that $110 high bid was removed.)

So apparently this is not the same situation as your first complaint.

It sounds as if the seller actually ended the auction, with no winner. Perhaps cancelling all bids?

In which case, it is odd that eBay would suggest contacting the seller with an off-eBay offer, since eBay makes it as difficult as possible for members to contact sellers with such off-eBay transactions.

And as noted, sellers do not have to explain why they end auctions of their own property.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Perhaps the eBay rep suggested contacting the seller to set up a 'private listing' for you with a previously agreed price and shipping?

That is fully allowed and actually quite common.

With such a 'private listing' both buyer and seller retain their respective eBay protections.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

How do you set up a private listing?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Personally?

I take the already described listing.

Change the title to the customer's eBay ID. (That's the private part. Something unlikely to be Searched)

Adjust price and shipping as agreed.

Listed as Fixed Price / Good til Cancelled . (Because it's cheap and what I use most of the time anyway.)

Tell the customer the title and the item number.

Tell him a deadline (usually 48 hours).

If he bids-- straightforward, pay and ship.

If he doesn't within the deadline, change the title to something more Searchable, change the price and shipping.

And add the timewaster to my Blocked Bidder List. (that's only happened once).

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Dennis and Femmefan, I must applaud your abilities to decipher the OP's post as I had no idea what he/she was on about.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ditto

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I wrote letters for cabinet ministers replying to complaints from the public for some years.

Most were sensible, well thought out and polite.

But ......

Message 9 of 9
latest reply