I am wanting to purchase and item and it has global shipping can anybody explain.

I am wanting to purchase an item from the US for $129.99 US .   Normally I have things shipped to the US, but that's not happening, so to Canada:

Shipping:  $19.17 International Priority Shipping to Canada  via the Global Shipping Program.

Any idea what more will be added at checkout?  What would be my import charges?
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I am wanting to purchase and item and it has global shipping can anybody explain.

From my current understanding of the program (I haven't used in a few years) the display for taxes will vary. (Sometimes combined...Sometimes separate) I think this was something they were trying because of the confusion with the program. You should see final numbers at checkout, but don't hold me to this please. If you search help on dot ca this comes up.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/international-purc...

On dot com there are more details for sellers and the link below for buyers. Hope that gets you going in the right the direction. May the GSP be with you.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/international-pu...

-Lotz

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Are you viewng at the item on ebay.com or ebay.ca ?

I find that ebay.ca does a better job at displaying the import fees.

An example (viewed with a browser on a laptop computer):

note lack of GSP $$ detailsnote lack of GSP $$ details

versus

GSP $$  estimate shownGSP $$ estimate shown

-..-

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Great response ypdc_dennis.  Checked on .ca and this is what it shows.  Not much help on this one.   But what you showed was great.  I just would like to have an idea of the cost of the import charges, I'll be stuck with.

onca.jpgcashipping.jpg

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The import fees are based on your provincial sales tax plus ~$5US service fee.

If the item was not manufactured in a country with which we have a Free Trade Agreement*, there will also be duty.

You can look up how much that would be on the CBSA website.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

But none of this should be necessary.

*There are not many of those anymore, mostly China. USA, Mexico, all of the EU, all 13 of the TPPredux agreement all have free trade in place.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

If the GSP item has best offer option then it will not show you the import charges until you make an offer and that offer gets excepted. So you will being going in blind until the offer is excepted and you checkout...

Look at GSP fixed price items in your price range without best offer to get an idea of what the import charges might be... from eBay.CA of course.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks, this is a fixed item cost.  A bracelet made in Mexico.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

GSP listings with “$0.00” in import charges simply have the import charges folded into the shipping charges.

Change the “ship to” location to “United States,” ZIP code 41025 (Global Shipping Center in Erlanger, KY). You’ll see the amount the seller receives for a US domestic shipment. Subtract that amount from the charge you see for “shipping” to Canada. Does the remaining charge (shipping to Canada from Kentucky + GST/HST + processing charge) make sense?
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Hi she has free shipping to anywhere in the US.  So the $26.98 Cdn would be shipping, GST/HST and processing.  Does that seem about right.  The parcel is a bracelet would would be about 400 grams in the box.  The actual bracelet weighs 70 grams.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

A bracelet made in Mexico.

A NAFTA duty-free item.

You will be paying sales tax plus ~$5US for GSP handling.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

... she has free shipping to anywhere in the US.  So the $26.98 Cdn would be shipping, GST/HST and processing.  Does that seem about right.  The parcel is a bracelet would would be about 400 grams in the box.

The "shipping" cost will probably be split in to 2 parts, one part for the seller (she might have a charge for sending to the GSP centre), and the other part for Pitney-Bowes (sending to Canada, taxes and processing).   The cost does sound about right for that.

Put the item into a shopping cart and see if it tells you differently.

-..-

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Dennis, MYN posted just before you did that the seller offers free shipping within the US, so that shipping charge in the listing is strictly Pitney Bowes’ fees.

A US$130 purchase would pick up US$6.50 to US$19.50 in taxes, depending on the province it’s going to. If the bracelet is going to a province where GST is charged, that should leave Pitney Bowes lots of wiggle room for other charges since GSP import charges don’t include a repayment of PST. If it’s going to a province where HST is being charged, that’s a different kettle of fish.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply