Is anyone having trouble with shipments from China to Canada?

hraithamar
Community Member

I used to buy from China and Hong Kong (to Canada) a lot, the mail was actually faster than from the US. Now I have not received a single parcel I ordered from China since May. I don't think it's a problem with my sellers, I always got good service from those sellers before. I'm wondering if something went wrong with the mail service somewhere between China and Canada.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Same problem? Theories? Actual facts?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Is anyone having trouble with shipments from China to Canada?

silviastrnad2012
Community Member

Yes.  Im even having problems with the US.  Never had a problem til November and December.

Message 21 of 66
latest reply

Just had a package arrive that was shipped 21st October from China. Patience really IS a virtue!

Message 22 of 66
latest reply

butta
Community Member

Delivery is really slow. Took 6 weeks to get my package from China to Toronto. I thought it was lost and had already filed for a refund from Paypal, then it showed up drew days later. Jesus!

Message 23 of 66
latest reply

closeupfanatic
Community Member

I've just got 3 items from China - no delay at all...

Message 24 of 66
latest reply

boredhousewife*123
Community Member

I just started shopping China and have I think 8 items in total from two different China sellers... Yup patience is what you need..Anyone know if you have the import duties to pay in Canada and what it is if over a certain amount cannot seem to find the information on it for China and Canada.. I also am from Canada..Much obliged OP for posting gives me an idea what to expect in terms of China.. 

Message 25 of 66
latest reply

housewife: Anything valued over $20 that you import from anywhere is subject to a Canada Post service fee of $9 + provincial and federal sales tax (HST) + applicable duty.

The least likely of these is duty, since there are now so many free trade agreements in place.

Canada Post often lets private shipments like yours slide through without charge, but don't EVER count on it.

Your biggest problem will be when a US seller ships an item valued over $20 to you by UPS. They always collect and their service fee (customs brokerage fee) starts around $25.

Message 26 of 66
latest reply

bbleila56
Community Member

I have been buying from China  a lot, normal shipping time is between 30-45 days. At the end of 2012 , especially merchandise bought around October, these items are very late and arriving just now. Other buys at later date were delivered withing reasonable time ahead of the October purchases. Go figure.

As for items from US, I count myself  lucky, because the shipping to Canada so far was amazingly fast.

Message 27 of 66
latest reply

boredhousewife*123
Community Member

Thanks Femme:-) Actually I have bought many items from US without a hitch and without one iota of extra payment but the shippers price of bringing it to me.. I mostly buy clothes, shoes, make-up, before when daughter was into webkins phase plush toys, sunglasses, watches and sometimes perfume amongst other smaller things..Not sure of perfume rules now.. But do not use any seller who even says UPS had one item out of I think 1 got tagged with UPS seller was not honest about her shipping was not pleased since we were offered different shipping and she did not ship that way.. pretty much skip any seller who offers UPS or any brokerage carrier.. If they do not give me an option for US shipping then I do not bid or buy with them..First time actually for China, Thailand and GBP lately having hard time finding any sellers.. Have not been on ebay buying for over 3 years just came back recently because our loonie against the US currency too hard to past up. I never count what postal will do just make sure I am prepared for it the UPS one we had threw me off for a loop when we did not click UPS for the shipping on that particular item..

Message 28 of 66
latest reply

3 orders in the past 2 months coming from China to Canada have taken more than 30 days to arrive here also. It's frustrating, and the sellers have not been helpful. Plus, they don't even supply a tracking number. I am at the point of making a decision never to order from China again. This is crazy

Message 29 of 66
latest reply

Nope shipping from China is great!  As long as Ebay keeps it's nose out and does NOT use the Global Shipping Program with Chinese shipments everything will stay that way just fine.  Shipments from the USA now that's another story!  This GSP is a disaster and I'd rather buy from China then deal that again. 

Message 30 of 66
latest reply

I think Canada Post and Customs take 3 to 4 weeks to release my items. I've purchased 100's of items over the past decade. What used to take 12 to 15 days now takes over twice as long. I can see the item shipped immediately then disappear onto a shelf.
Message 31 of 66
latest reply

@saltspringal wrote:

I think Canada Post and Customs take 3 to 4 weeks to release my items. I've purchased 100's of items over the past decade. What used to take 12 to 15 days now takes over twice as long. I can see the item shipped immediately then disappear onto a shelf.

I doubt that Canada Border Services and Canada Post would sit on items from China for longer than they would for items from the United States.

Slower shipping from China is actually nothing new.  Those low postage rates do come at a price.  There's probably too few planes dedicated to getting a high volume of packages out of the country.

Message 32 of 66
latest reply

I ordered two items from two sellers in china on October 13th and 16th 2012. Neither of these items arrived, and i filed for refund. I ordered again on January 8 from yet a different seller, and still nothing has arrived.  Something is up with shipments from china, a few friends have mentioned similar issues and I am reading on various online forums that this has been a problem for the past 6 months. Either Canada customs is sitting on these items or losing them, or they aren't even leaving china.  I would love to order $5 items from USA if they would stop trying to make money off the shipping costs.

Message 33 of 66
latest reply

This is what exactly happening to me right now. I have at least 4 to  parcels missing from ebay shipping out from china/hong kong since november 2013. Contacted selling after more than 1 month of not arriving and usually got money refunded. The shipment are not only slow but they never came at all. Wondering what had been happening from China?? I will not consider order again from them. It's not the selling, they are all reliable, I felt bad for them.

Message 34 of 66
latest reply

so has any of you recieved your parcels yet?

im in israel. i ordered a bunch of things from different sellers from china (all with very good feedback) and have not seen anything arrive yet in around a month. i considered that to probably be reasonable, but now that im seeing here this forum with many complaints from the begining of the year, im wondering if this is still the case. thnks

b

Message 35 of 66
latest reply

Hi, I too used to buy many small items from China, but not now. Too many problems never receiving the item(s).

Ebay did send out an announcement early in 2014 that the mail service in China was undergoing many changes that would probably cause delays, and to allow more time to receive your purchases.

In 2013, I could expect air-mail packages to arrive in about 20 days. Now I either receive them in 50 or 60 days, or never.

About one third of the orders I have placed since March 2014 never arrived.

It has completely discouraged me from buying from any seller from China. I believe the sellers ship the products, but the revised postal system they now have in place loses the parcels.

It will have a serious effect on their economy, unless they are able to get things moving faster and more reliably.

It is a very unfortunate situation.

Message 36 of 66
latest reply

This is very true.

Message 37 of 66
latest reply

I don't think it is a matter of slow shipping. It is a matter of the item not being shipped at all and the seller hoping the buyer never remembers or complains about a low dollar item they ordered. In the end, these sellers end up with free money.

If it is a matter of slow shipping, I would have received the item I ordered January 1st and it is now May 4th. I got a refund for that order.

I am now waiting for a shipment from another seller for the same item and it have been over 45 days. I highly doubt it will ever appear in my mailbox.

ebay should clamp down on these fraudulent practices and shut these sellers down or fine them heavily (place a hold on their accounts).

Message 38 of 66
latest reply

As we can see from the date of the original posting (2012) this is an ongoing problem with shipments from Asia.

While most purchases will go through with no problems, buyers should keep in mind:

You get what you pay for. If you are paying a loonie with Free Shipping from Hong Kong, why would you think this will be a real diamond ring?

It is worth checking to see what a term actually means. There is no silver in Tibetan or German Silver, these are alloys of various white metals.

The cost of tracked shipping to Asia starts around $40. If the product is unsatisfactory, you will be told to return it for a refund.

China has no Rule of Law. While most sellers are honest and want to sell good products, there is little to restrain the scammers and hucksters.

Read the feedback. A 98% positive feedback rating is bloody awful. If the FB consistently mentions a problem (did not arrive, replacement did not arrive, poor quality, fake, broke, smaller than described) pay attention.

Dollar store prices? Dollar store quality.

ULC and CSA labels testing exists because the item has inherent safety problems. If the label you expect is not there, don't use it.

Message 39 of 66
latest reply

@travelled1 wrote:

I don't think it is a matter of slow shipping. It is a matter of the item not being shipped at all and the seller hoping the buyer never remembers or complains about a low dollar item they ordered. In the end, these sellers end up with free money.

If it is a matter of slow shipping, I would have received the item I ordered January 1st and it is now May 4th. I got a refund for that order.

I am now waiting for a shipment from another seller for the same item and it have been over 45 days. I highly doubt it will ever appear in my mailbox.

ebay should clamp down on these fraudulent practices and shut these sellers down or fine them heavily (place a hold on their accounts).

You are only covered by the eBay MBG for up to 30 days after the estimated delivery date so you may want to open a claim very soon.

Message 40 of 66
latest reply