Items marked as "shipped".

Hello all,

I believe the policy of marking an Item as "shipped" when it has only a shipping label created from home or office needs to be changed. It is a way to give the allusion of quick shipping when in fact the item purchased does not get to the shipping agent (USPS, F/X, UPS, CPS, etc. until days later. If possible the item getting marked as "shipped" should only be marked when it is picked up by or delivered to the carrier. Has any one else had problems? My latest was a 7 working day delay from the label being created and the item arriving at the carrier! 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If the seller gets the shipping via paypal -- paypal will automatically mark the item as shipped when the label is printed -- this not something the seller does.

As for the carrier -- sometimes the first label scan is missed and does not happen until further along.

In the ideal world, marking as shipped should occur when it's left the hands of the seller.

However, as a buyer, all you need to really worry about are eBay's Item-Not-Received deadlines.

-..-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@toms_favorite wrote:

Has any one else had problems?

It's only a problem if you make it one.  I don't think you really need a computer or website to tell you that you haven't received your item.  You know that already.  Knowing accurately that it's been shipped doesn't change that fact.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@toms_favorite wrote:

....My latest was a 7 working day delay from the label being created and the item arriving at the carrier! 

And what was the seller's handling time? If it was listed as seven days, then printing a label for the order and sitting on the package (for reasons undisclosed) for seven days is not relevant. Also, as other users have replied, just because the parcel doesn't show as scanned again for seven days doesn't necessarily mean it didn't move for seven days. If the seller used a street letterbox to mail it ten seconds after the label is printed, that first scan might not show up for a few days for reasons beyond his control. (Like weekends and stat holidays. Postal employees don't work those days.) Check the handling time and the delivery estimate to see if you have a right to feel put-upon by this situation. 

Some sellers have realities that don't allow for them to ship same-day. Others do. If rapid delivery is paramount to you, then pick sellers with short handling times and offer to pay for Priority or Xpresspost services.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I'm guessing that you are posting as a Buyer since this is Buyer Central.

But as a sometime Seller you should know that any form of tracking, including marking an item as shipped, is a Seller Protection and meaningless, except emotionally, to a Buyer.

For the Buyer the important date is the Last Estimated Delivery date given by eBay.

If the item is not delivered by the last estimated date the Buyer has 30 days to open an Item Not Received Dispute.

If the Seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) the Buyer is refunded.

So while it is useful for a Seller to mark items shipped, this is important to her because it affects her Selling Account including fees and discounts.

If the Buyer is not home when the shipment arrives, the carrier will leave a Notice telling him where and when he can pick up the shipment.

And the word you were looking for is 'illusion' .

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I understand this because shipped should mean that the item has indeed been shipped, ie is in transit.  When this does happen to me I do cross reference with the estimated delivery date and I can then put 2 and 2 together.  Maybe a solution would be to have an icon that said "in process".  This let's the buyer know that their order is being worked on after payment has been made but has not actually left its location to its destination.  A favourite Pizza chain of mine sort of works like this.  Order recieved, in process (ie the oven), out for delivery.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
And yet it doesn't make the pizza arrive any faster, hotter or tastier.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply