Leave neutral feedback, get a small refund from & not revise feedback = your banned by a seller.

Well, I have been buying stuff on eBay for 18+ yrs. Just discovered that a large seller here in Canada from whom I had purchased 5 items over the years has banned me from buying anything further. The reason appears to be because, during the last purchase, I had issues with the courier never delivering the item to my home but requiring me to go to their depot. I gave the seller neutral feedback due to this. The seller refunded me $8 and asked if I wanted to revise my feedback. I did not reply. They banned me without any notification and that behaviour is fine with eBay, 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Leave neutral feedback, get a small refund from & not revise feedback = your banned by a seller.

They banned you because they deem you difficult to deal with. The seller did nothing wrong and now they have to stare at your neutral feedback for the next year.... Everyone recieving packages in the mail have to on occasion put in a little extra work to receive their packages. It's part of online purchasing. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I had issues with the courier never delivering the item to my home but requiring me to go to their depot. I gave the seller neutral feedback due to this.

Was the item large or expensive? If so, the seller and courier are reasonable to expect you to pick it up at the post office if you were not home at the time of delivery.

The seller refunded me $8 and asked if I wanted to revise my feedback. I did not reply.

Why would you not reply?? The seller took the trouble of trying to make things right with you and compensated you financially, and in response you just ignored him. That would probably make someone feel like **bleep**.

That said, I do think the seller overreacted a little by banning you. Personally I'd only ban someone who's a scammer, not someone who was a bit difficult to deal with one time. I also don't think a neutral feedback is a big deal as it doesn't really harm one's account health, although if it was a big deal to someone I don't mind removing it for them if they tried to right things with me. It's just good manners to return favour for favour, kindness for kindness. Positive reinforcement is what makes the world a better place.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I have to side with the seller (and tinydancer!) here on this one. Some couriers won't leave an item if you're not home. It is a pain to have to go to the depot but the seller is one you've bought from several times you say. They must have items your like and service you have enjoyed in the past. They can't control the courier's policies. If they used a different courier than the other few times you've bought "over the years" there have also been many changes over the years and perhaps they had trouble with other providers and are using someone different now. In any event when the seller heard you were unhappy they refunded you $8 as a goodwill gesture and they probably thought that should have made you happier about the situation. The fact that you didn't revise the feedback or even respond back to their message would have put you in the difficult to deal with category and therefore you were blocked. Blocking is for buyers who don't pay or are difficult to deal with. I would try revising the feedback, maybe it's not too late, they may unblock you.

I know I've missed courier deliveries before and either had to go to the depot to get it or call in and wait the next day. It's a pain of course but I wouldn't blame it on the seller.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The item in question was an external USB hard drive and I was home all day so the courier did not even attempt to deliver it. the item was purchased early 2022 so there is no way to revise feedback now.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

That's too bad, I thought it had just happened.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I believe you can add a Response to any feedback including your own indefinitely.

Worth a try.

Responses don't change anything, but then neither do neutrals, but if a future customer looks at neutrals while making a decisions on purchase, your Response would jump off the page.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

No and I had no idea they banned me until 10 secs left in an auction earlier this week I briefly saw an error message saying that the seller has placed restrictions on the item.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I did that and indicated the seller resolved the situation.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@theoldestfart "The item in question was an external USB hard drive and I was home all day so the courier did not even attempt to deliver it"

This has NOTHING to do with the Seller...

...who was "gracious" enough to try and "make it right" (even though they were not required to do so) and your response was not to respond?

Have to side with the seller on this one.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

As others have mentioned, your issue should have been with the courier, not with the seller.  Go to the UPS site and get your frustrations/disapointments out there.  Your seller went WAY above and beyond what he/she/they needed to do by refunding you the item price.  And in spite of that, you felt it was perfectly ok to ignore your (to me, stellar) seller's request to revise the (to me) undeserved neutral feedback. 

If the roles were reversed and you were the seller,  can you honestly say you would continue to do business with such a buyer?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Sellers on eBay block buyers for everything and anything, nothing you can do. Some would block a buyer just for sending a question. Your seller specifically sells a lot so sadly he do not care about losing a single customer. Tho your feedback was unnecessary, it was on carrier and it's also not unusual to have to go at the office to claim a package

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

For me, Canada Post doesn't deliver to our door. Anything I receive with them I have to go to the post office to pick up. Other carriers are hit and miss. Some will deliver to the door, others will literally call me up and say hey, meet us on the highway in 10 minutes or you'll have to pick up the parcel from our depot (which is an hour drive each direction away).

For the OP, I'm kind of curious what carrier the seller specified (or if it was generic) and whether it was actually sent using that service or not. Either way, I don't know what the OP expected. Ignoring the lack of changing the feedback, would you want someone to buy from you if they had just complained about the service you used to ship the item and you're still using the same service?

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@flipistics 

Canada Post has instituted the newish FlexDelivery service for just that situation.

It is the addressee that sets up the service, but it is free and means that you get a Notice rather than a parcel with the rest of your mail and pick up at the nearest PO.

It looks like it also can be used for courier services, but I'm not sure about that. The webpage is a little obscure.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/alternative-delivery/flexdelivery.p...?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@flipistics 

Canada Post has instituted the newish FlexDelivery service for just that situation.

It is the addressee that sets up the service, but it is free and means that you get a Notice rather than a parcel with the rest of your mail and pick up at the nearest PO.

It looks like it also can be used for courier services, but I'm not sure about that. The webpage is a little obscure.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/alternative-delivery/flexdelivery.p...?

I'm pretty sure they don't accept parcels from other couriers (well, maybe Purolator since I think they own them).

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I'm pretty sure they don't accept parcels from other couriers (well, maybe Purolator since I think they own them).

The webpage that Stamps linked to states that the carrier (well, retailer) has to be able to ship to a PO box.  Purolator can ship to PO boxes, by the looks of things.  UPS can't.  I suspect most other carriers can't, either, unless the service being used is already linked to the postal system.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply