Need some advice re purchase

I need to buy a USB 3 hub with on and off switches like this one.  When I look on ebay most of the sellers are from China, Hong Kong or Malaysia, if I look at a large online retail seller (BB) they don't stock what I want but most of them are made in China anyways, even on the river, they may be sent from the US but of course made in China.   Now there are problems with shipping from China & Malaysia and quality.  On ebay I can get it as low as $5 with free shipping, on the river about about $20 looks to be about the same thing but the company has fantastic reviews, mostly 5/5.   What would you do?

usb hub.JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@musicyouneed wrote:

What would you do?

On an item this important one thing I would NOT do is scrimp on cost.  I would not pay the most expensive just because it IS the highest, but I would check seller feedback and make sure there are no complaints about the item (or genuine ones about the seller).  I would do like always and only look at listings from North America.  Even if an item from China arrives, it could take nearly 3 months to arrive and is broken when it gets here. Yes I would get my money back. Eventually.  But imo it is just not worth the hassle. I'd rather pay a little more for the most painless experience I can get, and eat beans for a week to make up for it if I'm budgeting.  

Two things that matter to me are a quality product and seller reliability.  That is why I don't buy from China.  Others here will have radically different opinions.  If it was me I would mostly want an item that is going to work and be up to code,  want it reasonably quickly, and if there's a problem I want to be treated decently.  

Decide what your priorities are and use that as your guide to shopping.  

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks Viv, 

I have decided after watching some youtube reviews  of USB hubs to purchase a Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs.  Really good reviews and it is definitely more expensive, but I think that I will be happy with it.  With shipping it was almost $25 Cdn and will be delivered in 4 days from a reputable seller. 

I hate to buy anything from China too!  The products are usually cheap knock offs and shipping is really late even if you do get it.  

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I cancelled that order as it didn't have external power source and now have ordered it in the US at WM pickup next week at store.  It is even cheaper and gives me a chance to go down to the US for the day. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply