No Shipping Update From Seller

I purchased an item 10  days ago,  and paid for said item immediately with buy it now.  The listing said the seller usually ships within 3 business days of receiving payment,   also stating that a tracking number woud be provided. After  a week,   there was still no indication that the item had been shipped.  Three days ago,  I messaged the seller,  asking if it had been shipped,  and asked them to provide a tracking number, but still no response.   The delivery info lists March 1st as the delivery date. I'm not concerned about not receiving it,  I just want to know that it's even been sent.  Anything else I can do?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: No Shipping Update From Seller

marnotom!
Community Member
Are there feedback comments from other buyers that suggest that this is usual behaviour for this seller?

Let’s be stone cold rational about this for a moment, though. How would your life be different if you knew your package had been shipped out?
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The seller has a good reputation, being at 100% positive feedback.  I view it as a common courtesy to inform the buyer that the item has been sent,  particularly when the listing indicated that a tracking number would be provided.  Does that make sense to you? 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's poor customer service to ignore the request for the tracking number.

It's stupid business practice not to use tracking when promised, especially since tracking is a Seller Protection, and has no benefit for the buyer.

If the item has not arrived by March first, the buyer can win an Item Not Received dispute, even if he has received the purchase, because the seller did not use tracking. The only way a seller can win an INR is to provide the number as proof of delivery.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@carguy44 wrote:

The seller has a good reputation, being at 100% positive feedback.  I view it as a common courtesy to inform the buyer that the item has been sent,  particularly when the listing indicated that a tracking number would be provided.  Does that make sense to you? 

Many sellers may have either their contact link turned off, mail could be blocked by the assorted spam programs available or they regularly receive a large volume of mail and may be behind in responding. In good old days it was possible to request a sellers phone information. (Other option is awol.)  This  option may have been turfed. One other possibility is that seller may be away and not be monitoring their mail. Life happens.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@carguy44 wrote:

I totally agree, but do you also agree that it doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things whether or not you know the item has been sent, particularly if you're "not concerned about not receiving it"?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If it was an item being shipped with Global Shipping program I noticed for some of my purchases that a tracking number does not show with my Purchases until it has gone to Kentucky (Global shipping hub). From there a tracking number is added. Sometimes you can get more info, like the tracking used for seller to send it to Kentucky, if instead of just looking at Purchases, go to View Order Details - there if there is any tracking number it should be at the top of the details section. If not wait a couple of days and see if seller responds.

I know I try to respond to questions quickly but some that maybe don't have notifications turned on might only check in periodically.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Let’s be stone cold rational about this for a moment, though. How would your life be different if you knew your package had been shipped out?

I'm fairly relaxed when it comes to receiving an item. I rarely check tracking unless it is taking longer than expected and if there is no tracking, I don't stress about it. 

But if I had purchased an item 10 days ago, I would be annoyed if it still hadn't been marked as shipped.  I would like to know if it is actually on the way or if I would have to start shopping again in March to find another item like it.   Depending on how much I wanted the item, I would probably be shopping for it now just in case. Obviously it is not life changing but the not knowing would be frustrating.   To be honest, I think that your question is a bit condescending.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If I had purchased an item 10 days ago, I would be annoyed if it still hadn't been marked as shipped.  I would like to know if it is actually on the way or if I would have to start shopping again in March to find another item like it.   Depending on how much I wanted the item, I would probably be shopping for it now just in case. Obviously it is not life changing but the not knowing would be frustrating.   To be honest, I think that your question is a bit condescending.

Totally agree that it's a frustrating situation in which to be, and it's perplexing that a seller wouldn't provide information on whether or not an item's been shipped as it's in their best interests to do so, but having this knowledge doesn't change any of the mechanics of the sale.

I've been in a similar situation myself, and after mildly flipping out over it, I came to the realization that it really doesn't matter what happens to the item between the seller's location and my house as long as I receive the item in good condition at some point within the delivery estimate.  Receiving the item is the goal, not keeping tabs on its whereabouts.

I'm just trying to save the OP some angst, not to condescend.  I guess I'm just being annoyingly hyper-rational about this.  🤷

Message 9 of 9
latest reply