Package stuck in Glendale Heights, IL with no updates.

Hey, I’m wondering if my package is potentially lost/stolen? I bought a sports card from the US and I live in Toronto, Canada. It was received at the Glendale Heights, IL facility 5 days ago and there’s been no updates since. The package was supposed to be inspected and sent to Acsendia, who are awaiting the item and have no info to give me either. The day it arrived at Glendale Heights, it stated “your item is being inspected”. It updated the next day to “your item is on the way”, but no tracking updates or scans had taken place. EBay is useless with actually looking into this, I can’t get anywhere with them. The item is a sports card not something involving batteries like I’ve seen posted here frequently and are known for delays. Iam thinking it’s potentially stolen? I buy sports cards all the time and never had this happen. Any advice?
Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

@a.divalentin wrote:
Hey, I’m wondering if my package is potentially lost/stolen? I bought a sports card from the US and I live in Toronto, Canada. It was received at the Glendale Heights, IL facility 5 days ago and there’s been no updates since. The package was supposed to be inspected and sent to Acsendia, who are awaiting the item and have no info to give me either. The day it arrived at Glendale Heights, it stated “your item is being inspected”. It updated the next day to “your item is on the way”, but no tracking updates or scans had taken place. EBay is useless with actually looking into this, I can’t get anywhere with them. The item is a sports card not something involving batteries like I’ve seen posted here frequently and are known for delays. Iam thinking it’s potentially stolen? I buy sports cards all the time and never had this happen. Any advice?

@a.divalentin 

I'm wondering if Glendale Heights is the place where valuable cards go to be verified and then get traded for a Honus Wagner card never to be seen or heard from again?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143775634360

Was this your missing card?

-Lotz

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Hey, your post reminded me that I have a pair of jeans shipped through eBay International Shipping that's supposed to reach me about now.  I think I checked the tracking on them once after I purchased them at the beginning of the month.

Checking the tracking again, I'd say it's a mess.  I think a lot of the event scans are "off" on their locations.  For example, there's one that says "In transit to destination province."  Location: Richmond, British Columbia.  Guess what?  I'm in British Columbia!

But you know what?  It looks as though the item is about to reach me anyway.  You want advice?  My advice is to not worry about what the tracking information says or doesn't say and if you can stand it, don't even bother looking at the tracking until you're in the estimated delivery time window.  What happens between when the item gets shipped off and when it's received is usually pretty irrelevant and you can't really do anything about it anyway.

Oh, and for what it's worth, there was a nine day gap between scan events at one point in the tracking.  It wasn't at Glendale Heights, though.  Or maybe it was, but the location is listed as Mississauga.  Or Sarnia, depending on which location you think is more credible.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Ya, I’ve had delays in Canada once it’s crossed the border before. I’ve never had this significant of a delay from eBays shipping hub. eBay themselves said it should only take 1-2 days to go from there. Iam asking if anyone has had any issues with items being stuck in Glendale Heights shipping hub specifically.
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Sorry for coming off as snotty in my previous post.  I used to check on the tracking of my items pretty obsessively when I was younger and a tad geekier, but I eventually came to the conclusion that we buyers have been oversold on the value of tracking.  Tracking doesn't make the items arrive any faster or in better condition than no tracking, and it doesn't really matter where an item is at any given time as long as it arrives when and in the condition it's supposed to.

And the big thing about tracking is that it's not real time; it shows you where an item has been, but not where it is at any given time.  Your item probably is on its way, but for whatever reason the scan data isn't getting transmitted properly, particularly if a change in tracking numbers is involved.  My sense from the other posts about the lack of scan information on items forwarded through eBay International Shipping is that the only time to get concerned about an item's whereabouts is if the last estimated date of delivery has past.  Most people posting about their "disappearing" items haven't followed up on their posts, so I'm of the mind that no news is good news.

In short, your item likely isn't stuck in Glendale Heights and there isn't any evidence so far that it grew legs.  Since you can't start taking action on it until the last estimated date of delivery has passed, I'd say just let it go for now and be patient.  You could check the tracking on a universal tracking site such as Parcelsapp, I suppose, to see if it's been able to pull the various scan events together, but in the end, I don't think it matters that much at this point.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

I’ve used parcels app and contacted ascendia. They confirmed they have not received the item and agree that they never have anything take more than a week once they receive electronic shipping info from eBay. In their words they said to “fear the worst” if it doesn’t update in 48 hours.
Message 6 of 46
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I'd take that with at least a grain of salt.  The customer service rep you talked to didn't go down into a warehouse to look for your item; they only have what they see on a computer screen to go on.  

Does the tracking information on Parcelsapp have information on a second tracking number?  Mine did, and it worked on the Canada Post website.  It might be a bit soon to try using it for your item, though.

Out of curiosity, why did you contact Ascendia anyway?

Postscript: My jeans just arrived.  Interestingly enough, they were tagged "DDP" (Delivered Duty Paid) even though I didn't pay PST and GST at Checkout.  No customs form was on the package as it was shipped from Mississauga as a domestic Canada Post Expedited Parcel.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

I got an Ascendia tracking very soon after it arrived in Glendale Heights. However, it’s been stuck on “tracking info received” for 7 days and doesn’t work on Canada post website. I called Ascendia to see if they had any further info, all they could tell me is they never received it from eBay.

There’s a good chance it passed the inspection at Glendale Heights I guess since it was given a new tracking number. One of two things has happened…it either never left Glendale Heights after being inspected. Or Ascendia got it and lost it/never scanned it. Based on other peoples experiences it’s probably the former.
Message 8 of 46
latest reply

This was shipped with eBay international shipping?   There have been a number of posts about the same problem.  The tracking with eBay international / Ascendia seems to be sporadic for many people.  Based on what I've read, the majority of those with that problem have received their purchases before the est.delivery date.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Yes that’s correct. No scans/ movement since reaching Glendale Heights, IL eBay shipping hub. Other than creating an EEUS ascendia tracking which has been stuck at “electronic info received” for 7 days.
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

all they could tell me is they never received it from eBay.

I'm not sure who handles eIS for eBay, but I've seen a post that claimed it was PitneyBowes, who don't have any trucks either.

The Ascendia clerk might have seen some tracking for your parcel, but ignored it since it was not "eBay" that shipped it to them but Pitney Bowes or some other forwarder.

When is the last estimated date for delivery?

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

This is something that’s helpful and sounds plausible. If that were the case what would happen? Would it eventually get to ascendia?

last estimated are for delivery is July 3.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Eventually. It may already be there, but the computer that the clerk is looking at doesn't know that, yet.

The important date is two weeks away.

Mark July 3 on your calendar and relax until then.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Doing some investigating it should have gone from Glendale Heights, IL (eBay’s hub) to Elk Grove, IL (Asendia). The fact an Asendia tracking number was issued and inspections were complete 7 days ago with no tracking updates since, is why Iam thinking this is lost and Asendia hinted at as well. It’s not stuck in customs or has to go through a flight/border cross. 

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Sorry? You're in Illinois? Because this is the Canada board and the truck /flight with your parcel does have to cross a border to get here.

Customs clearance is often done as a sub-contract by the carrier while the shipment is still on US soil.

But again, the only important date is that last estimated delivery date.

Remember there will be Canada Day and Independence Day and two Sundays in the next two weeks.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply

No my point is it was still supposed to travel between Illinois before going across the border and that 8 days within the state seems very very off. I see your point though as there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s based on this info the reps I’ve talked to said in their experience it’s most likely lost. If it’s delayed at inspection or customs even for weeks it’s a different story.
Message 16 of 46
latest reply

@a.divalentin wrote:
No my point is it was still supposed to travel between Illinois before going across the border and that 8 days within the state seems very very off. I see your point though as there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s based on this info the reps I’ve talked to said in their experience it’s most likely lost. If it’s delayed at inspection or customs even for weeks it’s a different story.

@a.divalentin 

As a side note once an item has been received for customs processing it goes into a larger pile of items for processing. You have to realize they are getting thousands of packages and each 1 has several steps. Some are quicker than others. After that they get moved to a staging area to be loaded on trucks. Once that truck is full then it moves on it's merry way. That is most likely what you are seeing as the delay. Then same thing happens when it arrives in Canada to be sorted and forwarded to basically wherever in Canada. 

Note: There have been times when items got scanned every step of the way. Now that seems to be happening less and less. I recently received a parcel with Purolator. Showed scans in Toronto and Calary. Nothing in between. UPS is similar. As of late Fedex is the only 1 I have noticed with scans all along the way.(Each sort point)

-Lotz

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

I totally understand that. However, based on what Asendia is telling me this is abit of a unique case. The package was supposed to be moved within Illinois and multiple reps said it almost always gets scanned within 1-3 business days max. Customs processing etc. would take place after the scan that they’ve received the package. That’s normal for delays, not this particular instance. I’ve had multiple packages go through Glendale Heights, IL to Elk Grove, IL (which is what the next step was). Every one of them was scanned within 24 hours. The delays happened either after Elk Grove to the border, customs or Canada Post which are all normal.
Message 18 of 46
latest reply

Hey I was wondering if anyone has had a package sit at eBay’s international shipping hub in glendale heights, IL for a week or more and actually have the tracking update eventually/ receive their item? Also, if anyone has had the same thing occur and the item never showed up? That would be valuable as well, thanks.
Message 19 of 46
latest reply

Your original thread on the Canadian boards is still active

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Package-stuck-in-Glendale-Heights-IL-with-no-updates/m-p/...

as is the one you posted on the .com
board yesterday and the new one you started today:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Item-to-Canada-stuck-in-Glendale-Heights-IL-facility/td-p/33824...
Message 20 of 46
latest reply