Please allow us to filter out sellers who use GSP

GSP seems to be one of the worst things I have encountered buying goods online.

the only thing it seems to offer (from a Canadian viewpoint) is delayed package, opened package and higher shipping/duty on some items... it also seems like its an environmental disaster with the extra shipping required for it. 

get rid of this for people who buy on eBay.CA or at least let us filter out sellers who elect to use this **bleep**.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's fairly easy to self-filter and avoid sellers who use Global Shipping Program when you shop on a desktop by using list view and avoiding anything that says 'Customs services and international tracking provided' in the listing. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

It's fairly easy to self-filter and avoid sellers who use Global Shipping Program when you shop on a desktop by using list view and avoiding anything that says 'Customs services and international tracking provided' in the listing. 

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

delayed package, opened package and higher shipping/duty on some items..

I disagree on the delays, and very few packages are opened, usually only because the Seller did not adequately describe the contents, and GSP did not know if duty would be due.

But with Canada's low duty-free level, which has been at $20Cdn (~$15US) since the '80s, the duty and sales taxes charged are actually legal.

CBSA has made the sensible decision that it costs taxpayers more to process and enforce duty on low value items, and just give them a pass. Private couriers , like GSP/ Pitney Bowes or UPS, cannot legally do this.

If the New NAFTA does go through; and it has to pass both the US Congress and Canadian Parliament first, that allowance will rise to $150Cdn  (~$112 US).  But that's a big IF because the US has a President.... ah well, off topic.

momcqueen's suggestion will work,  but what we need is a way that GSP shipping can be spotted on mobile devices since over half of eBay shoppers are using those to buy.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@thje0218_rdewjxi1 wrote:

... it also seems like its an environmental disaster with the extra shipping required for it

Flying from Vancouver to Calgary by a carrier that takes you to Winnipeg first before flying you back to Calgary is no worse for the environment than a direct flight to Calgary.  The planes are going to fly there anyway.  You're just along for the ride, along with dozens of other passengers.

Same deal with a GSP item.  Items are travelling along established shipping routes with many, many other packages.  They're not going on a solo road-trip.

Shipping in this manner can happen with established commercial carriers.  My wife purchased an item from Indonesia that travelled by FedEx to Japan, then to Alaska, then down to Seattle (or was it Los Angeles?) before reaching Vancouver Airport, where it was then transported by ground to its final destination on Vancouver Island.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

As the thread for the Global Shipping Program, that I contributed on, is down the list - around 23 Dec, I am advising the Ebay members, like momoqueen and marnotom the bottom line of my shipment. Bought cellphone on 16th Dec, from Calexico, Ca, it was given to local GSP on 17, who promptly sent it to GSP Centre (Pitney Bowes ) in Erlanger, Ky, by USPS, arriving on 20 Dec. There it sat, to wait for the truck to be filled until 27th, when the truck to went across the border to GSP in Missassauga, Ontario, where it was given to Canada Post for delivery to me in Montreal, on 31 Dec.

So, the item that was shown on the auction to be shipped International priority, est delivery 6-10 

days, took 14 days, and 3 tracking numbers. I paid $27. 38 for shipping and duties, without any evidence on the package that the Canadian Customs saw and pronounced on it.

The USPS and Canada Post would have charged normal shipping and no duties It would have needed a Customs doc pasted on the box, indicating a used phone. The GSP should do this, obviously. But then they could not charge duties, ultimately not paid in any event.

The Seller has no idea of the charges - Paypal requires the buyer to pay 2 invoices, one for the Seller and the other ($27.38) to Pitney Bowes. Why the Buyer, who pays the whole amount, has no say on any of this, is beyond any normal commercial transaction. 

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Oops, forgot one thing. Got an e-mail today from Pitney Bowes, saying that the item was delivered

on 31 Dec, with "SUCCESS!" as the final word. I laughed.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@latique101 wrote:

... Bought cellphone on 16th Dec, from Calexico, Ca, it was given to local GSP on 17, who promptly sent it to GSP Centre (Pitney Bowes ) in Erlanger, Ky, by USPS, arriving on 20 Dec. There it sat, to wait for the truck to be filled until 27th, when the truck to went across the border to GSP in Mississauga, Ontario, where it was given to Canada Post for delivery to me in Montreal, on 31 Dec.

So, the item that was shown on the auction to be shipped International priority, est delivery 6-10 days, took 14 days, and 3 tracking numbers.

That comes to 9 business days for delivery.

GSP does not have anything to do with the first section of the trip (to Kentucky). That is the seller's choice and responsibility. After that the journey is all GSP responsibility/fault.

As for your GSP accounting concerns, you can send those to the Canada Revenue Agency.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/suspected-tax-cheat...

-..-

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Mailed via USPS  Sunday (?) Dec 16

I suspect the mailing label was printed on Sunday and the actual mailing was on Monday the 17th.

There is only one GSP plant and it is in Erlanger.

Arrives Erlanger /GSP  Dec 20.

Four days, during the busy holiday season.

Dec 20 is a Thursday.

Assessment for Canadian Customs is done by GSP in Erlanger. (Just as FedEx and UPS do. They charge a 'customs brokerage fee' for this. GSP calls it a 'service fee'.)

Dec 22 and 23 are the weekend.

Dec 24 and 25 are Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Dec 26 is Boxing Day.

Put on truck for Canada Dec 27.

Recieved by Canada Post Dec 27(? )

That was fast.

Dec 29 and 30 are Saturday and Sunday.

Delivered to Montreal on New Year's Eve.

Fun fact-- There is a US customs plant in Erlanger in the same industrial plaza as the GSP plant. I was looking a Google Maps and spotted it.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

“... The USPS and Canada Post would have charged normal shipping and no duties It would have needed a Customs doc pasted on the box, indicating a used phone....”

Used phone? That does no render it ineligible for taxes on import if it’s over the $20 CAD de minimus.

We’re not inventing these facts. It’s law.

We all *get* that you’re unimpressed with GSP but you can’t base your dislike on fiction or what you might like to be the facts when they aren’t. I cited CRA and Customs laws on this thread? Or was it a similar one.
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

"Why the Buyer, who pays the whole amount, has no say on any of this, is beyond any normal commercial transaction. "

The buyer has all the say! They can either use the seller who uses GSP or move on to a seller that ships directly.

I'm not a huge fan of the gsp either but considering it took 2 weeks from the US to Canada at the busiest time of year, that's pretty good.  As far as for having to pay for duty and/or taxes, there is no guarantee that Canada Customs is not going to charge you if the item was sent directly to you. I would rather not pay those extras either but those charges are known to you before you make the purchase so that's when you have to decide whether you are willing to pay them.

There is also the possibility that the seller would refuse to sell outside of the US if the gsp wasn't available to them.  Many US sellers seem to think that shipping outside of the US is something scary and dangerous! 🙂

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I agree wholeheartedly. There is a certain head-in-the-sand mentality to occasional online shoppers when it comes to importing by mail which I think is the root of the problem. 

Of course, when I first started shopping online 20 years ago, I too was shocked and appalled by suddenly having to pay duty and sales tax. 

Here is the link I was speaking about:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d8/d8-2-2-eng.html

Also, it's inconceivable to postulate that ebay and/or Pitney Bowes is somehow illegally pocketing import fees through the Global Shipping Program. What they do and how they do it is outlined under the Terms and Conditions of the User Agreement of the program. This isn't a New York street corner in 1977 and Pitney Bowes isn't some guy wearing a long trench coat with a wall of stolen wristwatches sewn into the lining. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Just replying to all of the GSP apologists, above. 

First, the Seller does somehow get the item to Pitney Bowes, who seems to put a label on it and sends it forth via USPS to KY ( the label is a P-B label). So, its wrong to say that the Seller did send it to KY. P-B did that.

Second, Canada Post label shows the sender as Pitney Bowes in Mississauga. So P - B is supposedly dealing with Canada Customs. No evidence - stamp, label of this.

Check Canada customs websites, the $20 minimus is the value where no duties or taxes are applied. But it also shows that most electronics, incl. cellphones, are imported duty-free.

Using their website their estimate for duties and taxes on my item comes to 5%, that being the GST. Again no evidence, that this was actually collected by the Customs. Also, GST is applied to new items, one needs only a customs label indicating used, to avoid any tax. 

Bottom line. I have ordered about 40 electronic items from the US, including a heavy receiver. 

No duties, nor taxes ever paid. either by mail, or by courier. GSP has two main negatives, it exposes the Buyer to extra costs, for non-existant duties, and delays the shipment, to fill a truck, in my case for 7 days in KY, without a peep from anyone. So what is the advantage for the Seller, who pays for this, as opposed to USPS/ CP service, non-stop and tracking all the way.

The end.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@latique101 wrote:

First, the Seller does somehow get the item to Pitney Bowes, who seems to put a label on it and sends it forth via USPS to KY ( the label is a P-B label). So, its wrong to say that the Seller did send it to KY. P-B did that.

Second, Canada Post label shows the sender as Pitney Bowes in Mississauga. So P - B is supposedly dealing with Canada Customs. No evidence - stamp, label of this.

Check Canada customs websites, the $20 minimus is the value where no duties or taxes are applied. But it also shows that most electronics, incl. cellphones, are imported duty-free.

Using their website their estimate for duties and taxes on my item comes to 5%, that being the GST. Again no evidence, that this was actually collected by the Customs. Also, GST is applied to new items, one needs only a customs label indicating used, to avoid any tax.

I make no apologies for GSP -- I make a point of never using it -- but I'm really tired of folk who invent "facts".

The seller mails the item to Pitney-Bowes in Kentucky. In the case of your seller they used the USPS to do the job. They did not give it to a "local" Pitney-Bowes.

The return address on the Canada Post label only shows where the package is to be returned to if it is not delivered.

GST is applied to both new and used products that are imported.

The folks at the border also collect provincial sales tax -- QST in your case.

If you think it's illegal -- then report it to the tax people for Canada and Quebec. They both have auditors that track down sales tax money collected but not paid.

-..-

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I am in complete agreement with you. 

I also avoid buying items related to the Global Shipping Program, but I am allergic to mistruths. 

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@latique101 wrote:

Just replying to all of the GSP apologists, above. 

As already stated, the seller mails the item to the gsp shipping center in Kentucky which is run by Pitney Bowes.  When they send the item out from the gsp center, they cover the original label from the seller.

The Mississauga location is where the item gets transferred from the carrier that brought it from Kentucky to Canada Post.  I'm fairly sure that they are cleared by a customs broker in the US. There is no indication on each package of customs being paid because all the packages shipped at one time from Kentucky to Canada are put on a manifest and duty / taxes are paid are based on that manifest as a whole.

How does putting an item as used avoid tax? When I shop for used items at Value Village, they charge tax just like any other retail store.  If you buy a used vehicle from a car dealer, you would be charged tax.  All new and used items are liable to be charged tax when they cross into Canada regardless if you purchased from a store or private individual. That's true if PB shipped the item or if it was sent by USPS.

Bottom line. I have ordered about 40 electronic items from the US, including a heavy receiver. 

No duties, nor taxes ever paid. either by mail, or by courier. GSP has two main negatives, it exposes the Buyer to extra costs, for non-existant duties, and delays the shipment, to fill a truck, in my case for 7 days in KY, without a peep from anyone. So what is the advantage for the Seller, who pays for this, as opposed to USPS/ CP service, non-stop and tracking all the way.

The end.

I've received many packages from the US without being charged anything duty and tax but I've also had to pay duty and/or tax on some packages sent directly here. You're lucky if you have always avoided paying anything extra.  I don't anyone here would disagree with you that chances are good that items sent through the mail will not be assessed any extra charges...but it isn't a given.

I agree that the gsp can cost the buyer more in some circumstances, especially when the item is inexpensive and under 1 pound.  And sometimes it does take longer as well. The last time I ordered something through the gsp, it took 2 weeks to arrive.  The day I ordered that item, I had also ordered an item that the seller sent with USPS directly to me.  I received that item in 13 days.

The main advantage to buyers is that they may be able to buy from sellers that wouldn't normally ship outside of the US.  I've seen many US sellers say that if they didn't have the gsp, they would not ship outside of the US at all.  Some of them are a bit paranoid shipping outside of their own country and many don't realize that first class international has had tracking to many countries for the past few years. 

The actual shipping cost is sometimes cheaper with the gsp for heavier items. USPS international is getting quite expensive for items more than a pound or two.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

To all the Ebay community - you need to go check actual Canada customs website for the rules.

The $20 minimus is for taxes only, not duties. These can be zero to whatever, depending on the item. For cellphones the duty is zero. 

And some who have argued that what I have written is not factual. The label from Seller to KY is stamped "US Postage Paid Pitney Bowes" . And after the item rested in KY for 7 days, it got trucked to Canada, to Pitney Bowes, Gateway Cresc, 4567 Dixie Road, Mississauga, Ont, the latter showing up, as the Sender on it's last leg to Montreal. So PB paid, and ostensibly was in charge the whole way. Your Ebay/ PB explanatory handouts that you quote, are not factual.

Cheerio

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

You think the eBay and Pitney Bowes user agreements under their terms and conditions are ‘not factual’. Read the provided links to government information on taxes on import.
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

I'm sure every company who makes a profit are scam artists. 

I'm sure I'm a scam artist because I dare to follow the laws and charge people money. 

I must need to be locked up for a long time for all my crimes.

Shall we start the "People's Court of eBay" and start deciding my fate?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As silly as that nonsense I wrote is, is the lack of understanding of tax law and requirements for Canadians that import by mail. It's situations like this that leads to some committing a serious crime when ignorance of the law is not an excuse especially for importing items. Don't play with fire. Learn how to live with fire, it's here to stay. (Fire = taxes, yes it burns but it does actually do something)

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@latique101 wrote:

And some who have argued that what I have written is not factual. The label from Seller to KY is stamped "US Postage Paid Pitney Bowes" .

That is a different arm of Pitney Bowes.

Pitney Bowes has been selling machine postage (metered mail) on behalf of post offices for over 100 years. It has nothing to do with the GSP program. The seller still drops the package off at their local post office.

-..-

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@latique101 wrote:

To all the Ebay community - you need to go check actual Canada customs website for the rules.

The $20 minimus is for taxes only, not duties. These can be zero to whatever, depending on the item. For cellphones the duty is zero. 

I checked the Canada Customs website and it says something different from what you did.  This is the page I checked:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html

I also checked this one:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

You're right that cellphones are not subject to duty in Canada.  They are, however, subject to GST/HST and PST if applicable.  What Pitney Bowes paid (and you repaid to them) was the same federal tax you would have paid if you had purchased the item from a Canadian retailer registered to collect and remit GST or HST.  The interesting thing about the GSP is that you don't have to repay Pitney Bowes for QST, which you would have to pay if your item were sent by any other carrier.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply