Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

ppaul9
Community Member

Where did this come from?  And why are seller using it.

It seems to be adding an additional  $15 or more to the cost of an item.

Why are Canadian buyers being subjected to this **bleep**, and what are US Sellers being told, that they are using this??

How can we get rid of it??

Message 481 of 3,104
latest reply

There are numerous threads on the subject here

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/bd-p/23003

Message 483 of 3,104
latest reply

If the seller utilizes the Global Shipping Program it states that near the top of the listing.

You can choose not to buy from sellers that utilize the program.

12-01-2014 10-19-24 AM.jpg

Message 484 of 3,104
latest reply

if we dont buy from sellers using it ,maybe they will get the hint.

Message 485 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks for the information. I was in Toronto for a medical appointment so only got back here today.

I filed a "not as described case" as advised earlier this evening.

I paid the seller $139.50 and he is offering a$109.50 refund ie item price but not the shipping he paid. I am not clear at this point if he is still requiring the return of the item. If not it is fair as it will cost me more than that to mail it back,  but If I have to pay for return shipping it is not. The next thing I have to know is were I to accept a partial refund rather than a full one would that affect the refund from Pitney Bowes? Without that refund it is not a good deal either.

So much is not clear with the GSP.

Message 486 of 3,104
latest reply

You need to go the whole way with the claim, and not accept a partial refund to get anything from PB.

Message 487 of 3,104
latest reply

OK...no wonder people hate the GSP.

Message 488 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi higgswtop12. 

The process should happen automatically. There is no reason for you to have any further dialog w/ the seller, unless of course you want to. 

If all checks out w/ your claim you will be "made whole" by eBay/Pitney Bowes. We will take care of getting our costs reimbursed from the buyer. But again, nothing for you to worry about. You have filed the claim and that should be that from your end. 

Returns are not required in order for the refund to take place. A return (if desired) would have to be arranged directly between you and the seller. 

If everything doesn't move along on schedule please reach out via Private Message and I will look into it from this end. Make sure to include transaction #, item #, eBay user id and email address used in the transaction, claim #, etc.

Thanks.

---Bennett

Message 489 of 3,104
latest reply

In Canada, the allowable amout that does not pay import/duties is $40.00 American, yet the Global shipping program regularily adds to duties to amouts less that that. Not always-so I assume some sellers know how to use the system?

Message 490 of 3,104
latest reply

"In Canada, the allowable amout that does not pay import/duties is $40.00 American"

Please take a look at the official Government of Canada webpage:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

As you can see, the official limit is Cdn$ 20, not US$40

Now, we all know many parcels valued at more than Cdn$20 go through Canada Customs without taxes being levied.  But that is a different story.

Message 491 of 3,104
latest reply

And having the parcel marked "gift' only means that the duty/taxes kick in at $60 CDN, instead of $20. But since the item is being shipped by the seller it is still a purchase, even if you are having it sent to your great-aunt for her 83rd birthday.

Message 492 of 3,104
latest reply

Not a question, but something that needs to be clearer.

Made a purchase. Great.

Can ship to Canada with customs issues resolved up front. Great.

Go back into MyEbay when I get the shipping notice and see TWO purchases for the same $179 item. YIKES!

Contact seller in mild panic and they respond in a matter of minutes. Great.

Seller explains one is the shipping and one is the item. Communication fail on eBay's part. 😞

I'd send you a screenshot of it, but there's no way to e-mail a human. So I'm posting it here.

I was fully expecting to pay for shipping (the free thing is only continental US). I do live in the back wilds of Canada, after all.

Someone needs to fix how shipped items vs. shipping costs are displayed in the Global Shipping page. One should CLEARLY say "shipping fees on item XXX", because it's confusing. I wasted time checking PayPal and my Visa trying to figure out if I'd been double billed before contacting the seller, and they've had REPEATED queries about this from international purchasers, so I'm not just too stupid to figure it out.

-BP-

Message 493 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi bpunkert. 

I can look into this problem from this end. Can you send me some more info?

Please send me a Private Message and include screenshots where this issue has occurred. Also include transaction #s, item #s, the email user id and email address(es) used in the transactions, etc.

Thanks. 

---Ben

Message 494 of 3,104
latest reply

My package has been sent to the ERLANGER, KY  global shipping center. My seller said  It appears to be a global shipping transaction so it was sent there and told me to contact ebay. Shouldn't the seller contact them. 

Message 495 of 3,104
latest reply

Does this mean I will not receive my item?
Message 496 of 3,104
latest reply

I can't buy stuff on ebay anymore because the global shipping program is over charging outrageous amounts and I have no idea where that money goes because there is not suppose to be customs charges on items under 100 dollars. The GSP increases the cost of items sometimes over 100%. This is insane and I hope ebay has to eventually give all the money back they are scamming from this.

Message 497 of 3,104
latest reply

ebay has no business getting involved in custom charges! I look forward to the day these greedy corporations fail. I will never purchase an item with global shipping and I hope other Canadians would follow suit. We are over charged and ripped of on just about everything in Canada and enough is enough. Any Canadian who pays the GSP charges is not doing anyone any favors except feeding the pockets of the greedy corporations. There is no need to pay those outrageous fees ebay isn't the only game in town.

Message 498 of 3,104
latest reply

Any Canadian who pays the GSP charges is not doing anyone any favors except feeding the pockets of the greedy corporations

The money for import charges mostly goes to the Canadian government and is legally payable import taxes that the government would not otherwise collect, due to the high cost of collection on an item by item basis.

The Canadian revenue benefits far more than any corporation, greedy or not.

Message 499 of 3,104
latest reply

carsncash , the limits is $20, not $100 for customs charges to take affect.

Part of the money being charged for the global shipping program goes to the USPS for the cost of shipping, Pitney Bowes for the cost of their services and rest, import fees and such, goes to the Canadian government.

"This is insane and I hope ebay has to eventually give all the money back they are scamming from this."

They're not doing anything illegal so there is nothing to give back. Additionally, you are not required to buy on ebay. There are hundreds if not thousands of other online sites you could buy from. You're not limited to ebay and you don't have to buy from U. S. sellers.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 500 of 3,104
latest reply