Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

"noone other than PB knows what figures they are using when they charge  import fees and what figures they are using when they fill in their paperwork...there is no accountability."

I totally agree.  My first post on this thread - last October - recommends:

better disclosure of the various costs (shipping, duty, taxes, fees) to buyers on the listing page?

This lack of adequate disclosure leads to mistrust as we can see in hundreds of earlier posts on this thread.

Message 1261 of 3,104
latest reply

"I understand the concept.  However, could you provide an actual example where it did happen? Where a Canadian buyer was actually charged duty and that amount was not remitted by Pitney Bowes (or its agents) to the Canadian government."

READ .... In reply to femmefan 1946 , where it was stated "Only items manufactured in the 'free trade' country are exempt."

I stated:
"For the most part that is correct but under "NAFTA Rules of Origin for Causal Goods Regulations" between United States and Canada, Item 3[a][ii] also states:

"the goods do not bear a mark and there is no evidence to indicate that the goods are not the product of the United States or Canada."

The GSP, charges duty on these type of items by the hundreds [?], knowing full well that they are not obligated by law to pay that duty.  They then have two options, one is to reimburse the buyer or pocket the difference.  Does anyone know of a buyer being reimbursed this portion [duty] or any portion of the import charge?

Ask yourself, why its not mandatory to list the country of manufacture or origin in the eBay listing?"

What pjcdn2005 replied to you shortly after you posted my question pretty much sums it up!

Would also add under GSP, Buyer Terms & Conditions, 1[b] [ii] Your Role as Importer of Record: Power of Attorney, the buyer assigns all of his/her rights over to PB.  Should there be NO duty payable on a particular item, then NO duty needs to be paid. Any such duty charged for and paid by the buyer under import charges for that item becomes the property of PB.  Would the power of attorney clause not have assigned that right to PB, making it completely lawful?

This is all speculation on my part, its that gut feeling and there is no proof of it actually happening, not a thing
Message 1262 of 3,104
latest reply

"why its not mandatory to list the country of manufacture or origin in the eBay listing?""

I agree, it should be. As stated earlier, eBay should have technical barriers for American sellers to prevent listings that are not appropriate for the program, Lack of information such as "country of manufacture" would be one of those barrier, preventing the listing. 

But at this stage, that does not solve your problem unfortunately.

Message 1263 of 3,104
latest reply

"But at this stage, that does not solve your problem unfortunately."

It really is not much of a problem for me.  Have no intention of using the GSP and made the decision to cut way back on eBay usage.

There are bidders complaining about the higher costs, pointing the finger at the seller[s] crying it's the **** sellers fault , they made me bid. Good grief. 

I do feel for many of the new eBay bidders, many of them think the GSP is the norm and that is a shame.  But for all I know, maybe it is. 

Message 1264 of 3,104
latest reply

Why is it that Canadians are getting royalty Src..... for sellers in the US using Global shipping program. Anything less than $100

.coming into Canada DOES NOT GET CHARGED DUTY. So why is it that global shipping is charging DUTY plus service fee for something that SHOULD NOT BE CHAGED DUTY. The Canadian buyer is getting  cheated by  this shipping program that ebay has  decided to enforce on sellers

Message 1265 of 3,104
latest reply

It is most things with a value over $20.00 Canadian

Not $100.00.

Read the following link

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html#c1

Message 1266 of 3,104
latest reply

If you are having your purchase imported by a shipper (like UPS or Canada Post) duty is applied if the value is over $20CDN (about $18 USD). You will also be charged sales tax and a fee to the shipper ($10 for Canada Post and $25+ for UPS)

If you are driving your purchases over the border yourself duty is applied if your purchases are over $200. No sales tax is charged.

Occasional buyers are confused because Canada Border Services Agency normally does not bother with charging duty or sales tax on low value items.  I guess they sensibly decided that it would cost more to collect the duty than the amount of the duty.

The GPS uses private contractors to ship across the border. They must by law charge applicable duty and sales taxes. This money goes to reduce the deficit built up by the Conservatives since they took over from Paul Martin. There is a also a small($5 or so) service fee.

Message 1267 of 3,104
latest reply

Paid the exorbantant gsp cost for an auction I won that stated they would provide tracking for priority shipping.....never did get the tracking info??? I don't get this at all?? The listings are totally misleading!! How in the world does ebay get away with all of this? 

Once bitten..twice shy...

Message 1268 of 3,104
latest reply

I am in Canada and just bought four items from one seller and need to know the cost of the combined shipping so that I can pay. The seller says I have to get the invoice from the GSP but I can't find a way to do that. Now what?

Message 1269 of 3,104
latest reply

In general you cannot get combined shipping for GSP items. You should have had four invoices direct from the GSP.

Each one at the full price.

Message 1270 of 3,104
latest reply

Community Member

I ordered a used carburetor that was sent to me through global shipping.It was held in Erlanger as undeliverable so I contacted the seller who said to contact ebay for a refund.This is the first time I have had a problem like this.How do I contact them?

Message 1271 of 3,104
latest reply

You don't. Just start an item not received claim.

The carb fell foul of an idiotic rule that they think it might have gasoline vapour in it and is therefore hazardous.

Message 1272 of 3,104
latest reply

I've read posts from gsp sellers saying that if the items are purchased on the .com site and put into a cart first, then the shipping will be  combined.

That's the theory anyway...I haven't tried it myself. It also might depend on what information the seller has in their listing...if they have combined shipping set up and if they have the package weights entered.

Message 1273 of 3,104
latest reply

"This money goes to reduce the deficit built up by the Conservatives since they took over from Paul Martin."

Sooner or later someone had to bring politics into the GSP controversy ....... to bad.

Message 1274 of 3,104
latest reply

raudet2
Community Member

My item was shipped using GSP from California via Fed Ex to Erlanger, KY. What happens in Erlanger and how do I track my PKG from there  

Message 1275 of 3,104
latest reply

In Kentucky they process your package and then ship it to Canada with another shipping company. I've heard that once it reaches Canada it will be delivered by Canada Post or Can Par. They should post a tracking number in your purchase history once it leaves Kentucky although I've heard that tracking can be spotty.

Message 1276 of 3,104
latest reply

just wondering i live in Canada and when I track my package it shows it leaving from Ontario and then going to the USA nows its signed for by some random person.... any ideas? or is that who is now going to send it to me?

Message 1277 of 3,104
latest reply

Is this for the item you purchased on May 27th? It should have gone from NY to Erlanger, Kentucky which is where the global shipping center is. It will be processed there and then sent to you.

Message 1278 of 3,104
latest reply

how do I track my PKG from there 

You don't .

And that's a good thing.

The USPS tracking was only from the seller to the GSP facility in Kentucky. It is used to prove that the seller did ship and that the item was received.

From KY, it will be put on a truck with hundreds of other parcels, shipped to Canada "in bond". Any tracking at this point is completely internal to Pitney Bowes.

Once in Canada it is given to a Canadian shipper who will deliver it for Pitney Bowes.

Because there is no tracking number, if your parcel goes missing or is late, just file an Item Not Received dispute. PB will refund you in full. If the item turns up later, you will not be required to return it as you would if the seller were shipping directly to you.  PB doesn't want a bunch of random parcels building up.

Tracking may be an emotional need for a buyer, but it only benefits the seller. And the buyer pays for the seller's benefit.

The Paypal and eBay Buyer Protection policies are what helps the buyer, if there is a problem. And for free.

All that being said, there have been very very few reports of shipments being later than the usual 15 to 20 days and of those the buyer/importer seems to be getting prompt refunds.

Message 1279 of 3,104
latest reply

tnmetal
Community Member

Hello,

I am in Canada and have a buyer in United Kingdom. How do I find out if I am eligible for Global Shipping?

I don't see drop down box for that option in Site Preferences and customer support

will only send me links instead of giving me a direct answer.

Message 1280 of 3,104
latest reply