Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: GSP tracking stops at Erlanger (for 13 days), ebay says it's coming

The seller messed up, by not working out their domestic shipping cost correctly. The lesson cost them 22 dollars.

That's their look out, not yours. You have no obligation to pay for their mistake.

Message 1441 of 3,104
latest reply

The seller received $16.49 for shipping because that is exactly what their listings state that they would charge to ship within the U.S. If they did not figure out the shipping prices correctly, it is their mistake and it is not up to the buyer to make up the difference. You paid exactly what was advertised and sellers are not allowed to ask for more.

However, if the seller refuses to send the items unless you pay the extra postage, ebay  has no way of forcing them to send the items at the agreed upon price. If the seller refuses to send them, they will have to refund you unless you are willing to pay the extra amount.  If you go the refund route, make sure that you are refunded in full before you agree to a cancellation....ebay will have to refund the international shipping portion.

You can leave negative feedback if you choose to but do not mention the gsp in the feedback or ebay will probably remove it.

For the future, if you are buying more than one item from a seller that is using gsp, put the items in your cart and the shipping price will be discounted. However, if the combined total of the items is over $20, then you will also have to pay tax and duty if applicable. In this case, any import fees would probably have been less than paying shipping for each item.

Message 1442 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi, how long should I wait before opening dispute, in your opinion. It is 13 days since the tracking froze on "Customs Labeling" in Erlanger Kentucky. Estimated arrival date was 3 days ago. Seller says ebay assured him this is normal and item is coming. I do not believe that, especially after reading the horror stories about pitney bowes (repackaging, damaging, perhaps stealing items). Also how can ebay tell the status, sitting in the call center with just that tracking number to refer to? They can't; seller emailed me the same tracking info to support ebay's words. Funny... Also part of the deal is international tracking. Hello, Ebay!? A was about to buy $1000 worth item using GSP, I am glad I did not...  

Message 1443 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello 'salmonito',

Your story highlights yet another reason that conscientious shoppers avoid GSP listings.

Of course, there will always be one or two people around to extol its goodness.  Haha, - usually

people who don't buy much at all. Smiley Very Happy

How long to wait?  Well, -- do you want to receive the item or not?

If you don't really want the item, why did you order it? 

In over 12 years of buying online (mostly Amazon and other places) I have never once had anything

'go missing'.  But then, I am always willing to wait for my items to show up.

Obviously your GSP item is on its way.  Mail order is always slow, even when the mail is speedy.

GSP items frequently take ridiculously diverted routes to the buyer.  If the tracking has 'frozen'

that may simply mean it has not yet been scanned again.

Tracked items are scanned at certain points along the way.  So yes, you are correct in noting that no one

from ebay can possibly discern where your item is.  Their info is the same as yours.

By all means, buy lots of GSP listed items.  That way you will always pay the import tax on items

valued at $20+ Cdn, you will surely pay far more for shipping than you need to, and the items will

most certainly take an eternity to arrive, and even then perhaps not in the same condition they were

sent.

But don't let me discourage you. Smiley Wink

You have 45 days in which to file a claim for reimbursement if the thing never arrives.   That's just

over 6 weeks.  If you actually want the item then I see no reason not to wait for 40 days before

taking action.  But that's just me.  I buy items because I want to receive them, not because I want

to receive refunds.

You'll have seen this link about what to do when something does not show up:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Have patience, and enjoy your item when it (finally!) gets there.

Message 1444 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks:) Of course I want it, but I also want ebay to deliver the goods and services paid for (this time shipping on time). Estimated delivery date was given for a reason would you agree? But I think I am expecting too much from ebay. 

Message 1445 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi again, 'salmonito',

I agree that shipping estimates ought to more closely reflect the reality.  Alas, that is so often

not the case.  If you truly want your items you will keep your blood pressure down by not paying too

much attention to shipping estimates.

Just know how to get a refund for an item that honestly does not arrive.  It's not ebay who delivers

the goods, - it's the GSP that passes the item on when they've done with it, usually to Canada Post.

If you need some particular thing in a hurry, it is best to buy locally even if it means you have to spend

more money.  Me, I'm never in a rush, so I don't mind the wait.  And it is often a very long wait indeed.

And yes, I agree that estimated dates are given for a reason:  to encourage people to buy.

Once you've spent the money, you have 45 days in which to file a claim. Smiley Happy  When it comes to mail order,

don't be in a hurry.

You'll be happier if you are willing to wait. 

Message 1446 of 3,104
latest reply

Was this for the Kindle purchased late on June 30th?

The shipping information page reads: International Priority Shipping Estimated within 7-12 business days

Assuming immediate payment (counts as next day July 1st) and taking holiday and weekends into account, 12 business days from July 1st would be July 18th (today).

I suggest you contact eBay on Monday and inquire.

Good Luck.

Message 1447 of 3,104
latest reply

Always immediate payments. 🙂 Thanks, my blood pressure is now significantly lowered. 

Message 1448 of 3,104
latest reply

Same thing happened to me. I filed a claim as item not received (as it did not arrive when it was supposed to) and after investigating eBay gave me the shipping cost back. They were still in the process of investigating when the item arrived 8 days late. I then cancelled the claim, the seller got to keep the money for the item but not the money for the shipping.

Message 1449 of 3,104
latest reply

Estimated delivery date was given for a reason would you agree?

Yes, that is probably the average delivery time but it is just an estimate and unexpected delays do happen.  However, with the way that ebay promotes the gsp and the 'international tracking', I would probably be impatient too.  I would probably wait until the 24 or 25th before filing a claim. 

Message 1450 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi, 

I recently bought an item marked with Global Shipping program with import charge automatically added to the product. However, seller did not use it, and paid separately at the post office.

Is there any way of getting the import charges back that was paid to bowes?

Message 1451 of 3,104
latest reply

It matter little to Ebay how much we **bleep** and complain. They are going to continue with this GSP because it brings in a hefty chunk of coin to their coffers even though they have to share it with PW. Isn't it bad enough that Ebay already beats sellers and buyers to death with unnecessary fees for this and that and even wanting a share of any profit you might make on your item. As a former seller on Ebay, I saw where this was going and I stopped using Ebay to sell any of my products. I now use free sites. The GSP would have been the icing on the cake. I still buy from sellers on Ebay but only from those who have the intelligence not use the GSP. Complain all your want about the GSP but Ebay could care less. As long as they make even one penny in profit using this it will never be dropped.

Message 1452 of 3,104
latest reply

@blu3sky86 wrote:

Hi, 

I recently bought an item marked with Global Shipping program with import charge automatically added to the product. However, seller did not use it, and paid separately at the post office.

Is there any way of getting the import charges back that was paid to bowes?

This is an outrageous scam. The wording NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES is absolutely not truth.

Message 1453 of 3,104
latest reply

Greetings. I am dealing with a us seller and he wants to opt out of the gsp but does not know how. I need instructions to help him.

Message 1454 of 3,104
latest reply

Start an Item Not Received dispute.

Since there is no record of Pitney Bowes receiving the item, you should get at least the import fees returned.

Message 1455 of 3,104
latest reply

The seller is sending the item directly to you rather than to Kentucky?

I would probably phone ebay and ask them about a refund for import fees. I wouldn't file for an item not received as that would give the seller a defect. If an inr is filed for an item shipped using the gsp, then the seller isn't held responsible but if gsp wasn't used, the seller would be held responsible.

Message 1456 of 3,104
latest reply

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#opt_out

If you have already purchased the item then he can't opt that item out but to send you an invoice with regular shipping he can go to paypal and use the send invoice function.

Message 1457 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi There. I have been trying to get an answer for the following question that I posted and it got moved by the mods to post 1451 on this thread:

Greetings. I am dealing with a us seller and he wants to opt out of the gsp but does not know how. I need instructions to help him.

It would appear that the mods are trying to keep specific questions like this about the gsp from getting answered by moving them into a lump in a  thread like this one. I am not impressed. This is unprofessional.

Message 1458 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi, how long should I wait before opening dispute, in your opinion. It is 13 days since the tracking froze on "Customs Labeling" in Erlanger Kentucky. Estimated arrival date was 3 days ago

Start your claim now.

The seller will not lose any money, and the more this scheme costs in refunds from the GSP the sooner it  will vanish.

Message 1459 of 3,104
latest reply

"I am dealing with a us seller and he wants to opt out of the gsp but does not know how. I need instructions to help him."

It depends.

Have you purchased the item already?

Have you paid for the transaction already?  Two payments?  One to the seller and one to Pitney Bowes?

Or are you contemplating a purchase from the seller?

"getting answered by moving them into a lump in a  thread like this one."

They are following instructions given by eBay, their contractor, to incorporate ALL questions and comments into those two threads.

Message 1460 of 3,104
latest reply