Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Re: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

@rchcreative wrote:

Listing stated shipping through Global Shipping Program and that it included tracking.   Shipping cost me $13.60 and $9.40 for brokerage fees.  Seller shipped via the lowest cost USPS no tracking etc and paid $3.70.  How do I get back the money that I spent when the seller changed the shipping after the fact?

You're probably going to have to phone ebay about that as they are the ones who will have to refund the money. There's no automatic way to do it.

Message 1941 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The value alone doesn't necessarily make an item a "good fit" for the program. I have seen $300 items that were not a "good fit" for the GSP because they were so small and light that they could travel safely in an envelope with two pieces of rigid cardboard for protection.

I understand what you are saying but I think that many (most?) U.S. sellers would be uncomfortable about sending a $300 item by first class international even with delcon. If they used priority, it is a good chance that would be more expensive than the international shipping portion of the gsp.

There is also a very good chance that many U.S. sellers would not ship a $300 item out of the country at all except through the gsp so I do think that it can work to a buyer's benefit in that respect.

You're probably right. I guess I'm lucky because I buy collectibles on eBay and nothing else. Maybe sellers experience fewer problems in that category. Whatever the reason, I've had items worth quite a bit more than $300 sent to me by the least inexpensive shipping method available. Before bidding on or buying a really expensive item from a new (to me) seller, I usually email the seller to tell them about third-party insurers and to get a sense of how they feel about it.

It has always worked for me and there has never been any need for an expensive and parasitic third-party service which adds nothing of value. But I can see where a seller of iPhones wouldn't be so thrilled about doing it this way.

Message 1942 of 3,104
latest reply

How can a item so small and unexpensive cost so much to ship from US to Canada?

Dimensional rates.
The size of the package and the weight are important. The value of the item is not.
Candles are very heavy for their size and outside of some tealights would not fit in a letter size (one inch/ 2 cm) package.
Plus GSP charges.
Import fees, as explained ad eternium above, include duty* on items over $20 CDN .Your candle is about $31USD. Plus Canadian sales tax (5%- 17% depending on province) and the PB service fee, at $5 half that of Canada Post.

However, I've heard a lot of stories detailing bad experiences on the GSP - independent of cost - about shipping taking a long time,
If a buyer realizes that items purchased in the USA will probably take two to three weeks to arrive, I really don’t think this is a valid concern. Most of the complaints are from buyers who rarely buy by mail order, in my opinion.
Damage in shipping from repackaging done at the PB plant is another question.

not to mention issues on trying to get returns or disputes worked out.
Again, most of the problems seem to arise from buyers who can’t find the Resolution Centre** and who try to work things out with the seller, adding misinformation to ignorance.
EBay really needs to add  to the Resolution Form the question: “Was this item shipped through the Global Shipping Program?” even before counselling the buyer to contact the seller.

*Duty is based on place of manufacture, not place of purchase. You might buy it from Georgia USA, but if it was made in The Republic of Georgia, duty must be paid.

**EBay is hiding the Resolution Centre again, moving it out of Help and Contact. It is still on the Site Map, greyed out at the bottom of the page.

Message 1943 of 3,104
latest reply

EBay really needs to add  to the Resolution Form the question: “Was this item shipped through the Global Shipping Program?” even before counselling the buyer to contact the seller.

Great idea.

**EBay is hiding the Resolution Centre again, moving it out of Help and Contact. It is still on the Site Map, greyed out at the bottom of the page.

There is also a link on the right side of the page on my ebay and on selling manager.

Message 1944 of 3,104
latest reply

Does eBay benefit MORE than normal when a customer buys through the GSP? I recently saw an item that stated that it  could be delivered to Canada ONLY through the GSP. I think that Pitney Bowes and eBay are laughing all the way to the bank and that the only benefit that this program provides is to the pockets of these companies. I guess as long as people use it though, eBay will see this as a demand for it. 

Message 1945 of 3,104
latest reply

Who really benefits?

1) Millions of American sellers who were previously selling domestically only and are now selling outside their borders.  Their sales have increased

2) eBay generates more revenue since sellers sell more

3) PayPal generates more revenue since eBay sellers receive more or larger payments

4) Pitney Bowes generates revenue through the fees they charge buyers for every transaction

5) The Canadian federal and provincial governments (and many foreign governments) receive more revenue as taxes are being collected on many shipments that would otherwise cross the border without being taxed

6) Surprisingly many Canadian (and foreign) buyers benefit as they now have access to items offered for sale that were not available previously to buyers residing outside the USA

Who pays for those who receive those benefits?

Buyers pay the entire cost of the program (fees, taxes, extra shipping) while sellers receive the benefits.

Is it fair?  That is not the question, is it?

As stated many times in the last three years, that program is of no benefit to most Canadian buyers for most transactions and should generally be avoided.

Message 1946 of 3,104
latest reply

Ok, does any know who I should/ can call , email, Ebay are you reading this, paypal are you also reading are posts.

listing states GSProgram estamates $13.22 at this bid price.

I win at that bid.

go to order details, total includes the 13.22 from GSP....OK

pay with paypal and now the pitney bowes charge has jumped from 13.22 to 29.27 WOW WOW

I live in Canada OK expect the exchange even though pitney bowes does not state their charge is in US dollars.

Can someone help as to where I can go. I have had the last straw with this Pitney Bowes GShipping.

Ebay, this was not a good idea.

I am a big girl and can look after my own duty if need be.

Message 1947 of 3,104
latest reply

What was the original "shipping charge' in the listing?

How much shipping charge were you charged?

Message 1948 of 3,104
latest reply

I ran into this a year ago. The displayed GSP was one amount. When I got to the final checkout page it was much higher. Why?

Well, I do believe it was Pierre who pointed out that I was living in ON and the system did not calculate the final amount until checkout. Different provinces have different taxes and the displayed GSP was just a WAG.
Photobucket
Message 1949 of 3,104
latest reply

Just got hosed by the GSP for the last time, I am done buying until something changes. Why can sellers not combine shipping when they have subscribed to the GSP? A seller confirmed they could combine shipping and I bought two items, but due to the GSP they could not send me an invoice for both items and I had to pay all fees separately in the end. Two midsized items that total under $70 cost me over $160. Would have been $30-35 shipping if not subscribed to the GSP and invoices could be combined. I did not back out of the sale as it would hurt the seller and it is not their fault, this is Ebay's fault. I understood when bidding that I was agreeing to pay all the values shown, but we do this all the time and sellers are able to subsequently adjust the charges, so you bid according to what the combined shipping charges for multiple items will be. In the end I bid more than I was willing to based on this agreement I had with the seller, and then Ebay made it impossible to be able to follow through with that commitment. Why would you set up a program that negates one of the core upselling features for your sellers? If I were to continue buying I would no longer purchase multiple items, and I sure would not bid nearly as much if I dared to think about it. Who is that helping?

Another question is does this seller now have to ship these items to PB individually? Would it not also save them time and resources, as well as PB to be able to send multiple items in one package? Which, if you thought of this and the seller can ship them together, then I was just charged to ship two packages though there will only be one sent. So the seller and PB pocket a bunch of cash that should be in my wallet?

The more I think about it the more it seems like Ebay owes me some money...

Message 1950 of 3,104
latest reply

Another question is does this seller now have to ship these items to PB individually?

The seller must send each item as one package, to Kentucky.

The exclusion of combined shipping is in the terms and conditions, something people usually skip over, like all those software licences, but with the GSP this is  a big mistake.

This is something no-one should venture into, either as a buyer or a seller without reading and thouroughly understanding the full terms and conditions.

It does seem from these mega-threads that both buyers and sellers just jump in and sink or swim as their native wit and ability permits them.

Message 1951 of 3,104
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This needs to be removed from all auctions that are viewable from ebay.ca then...

No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking. Learn more

because it's misleading.  I mean, we should all be responsible for reading the fine print but honestly... the line doesn't say "You MAY not have additional import charges at delivery" - it clearly states NO additional import charges".  I used to love shopping on eBay but now I'm not so sure. 
Message 1952 of 3,104
latest reply

because it's misleading.  I mean, we should all be responsible for reading the fine print but honestly... the line doesn't say "You MAY not have additional import charges at delivery" - it clearly states NO additional import charges".  I used to love shopping on eBay but now I'm not so sure.

It is completely accurate. Items sent through the GSP will not have import charges at delivery. There is no process for collecting such charges, the 'last mile'  delivery is a Canadian domestic shipment.

If the seller sends the item direct,bypassing the GSP, there may be import charges at delivery, but that is then not a GSP item.

I suppose they could add  the words,'unless the seller makes a complete pig's ear of it' but that's about all.

Message 1953 of 3,104
latest reply

Is it possible to sort OUT all American sellers so I don't have to deal with this.

Message 1954 of 3,104
latest reply

There is combined shipping for gsp when the items are put into a cart.
Message 1955 of 3,104
latest reply

"There is combined shipping for gsp when the items are put into a cart."

I was under the impression that when shopping on .CA, there is no access to "the cart".  Am I mistaken?

Also, there seems to be conflicting info about being able to get a GSP sale switched... from another thread...

"There is currently (and in all likelihood won't be) anyway for you to opt out of receiving an item through the GSP as a buy after the auction ends."

Can we not ask them for a new invoice (GSP-free) and pay them directly through PayPal?

Message 1956 of 3,104
latest reply

Can we not ask them for a new invoice (GSP-free) and pay them directly through PayPal?

The 'Request Invoice' button and the loophole that allowed this to detach items from the GSP has been removed.

You could indeed contact the seller by message and ask how much to send by post, non GSP, and pay them direct by Paypal, quoting the ebay item number in the payment but this is something you would have to arrange 'by hand' as it were, and I'd say the average GSP user would assume this was all some elaborate fraud attempt.

GSP users in general are not likely to be the brightest spoon in the drawer. Competent and experienced sellers  who would understand what you are doing would not be using the GSP in the first place.

Message 1957 of 3,104
latest reply

"The 'Request Invoice' button and the loophole that allowed this to detach items from the GSP has been removed."

Well... that's just... brutal.

Have asked some if they would bypass the GSP. Some indicated 'affirmative' but...

- did not revise the international shipping options or...

- would not specify the cost of USPS alternative

So I passed on those items.

Message 1958 of 3,104
latest reply

Listing less than 12 hrs to go.
And bid price has not changed, but poof GSP jumps from 35.00 to 60.00
35.00 was hard to take, but now tears,
Message 1959 of 3,104
latest reply

What is the listing number?