Rip-offs on eBay by US sellers with inflated shipping fees...???

gagfran
Community Member

I bet most US sellers that overcharge shipping fees to buyers outside the USA don't even know they're doing it.  They don't care because mostly the buyers will end up paying for it. Exemple;

A  Backsaver Grip Handel sales for C $22.27, Shipping to Canada (approx. C $13.87).

I won't be buying from the US anytime soon again!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

What shipping cost do you expect to see on that item? Without knowing the weight and dimension of the item, I'm not sure it's more than a $3 from actual cost. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Yes, I did also see the other item available for sale from another seller. I'm not sure what we are to assume. If it's the other item from a Global Shipping Program seller that this buyer has issues with, then that is another matter entirely. It's not about postage, per se, but the Global Shipping Program and what it offers and what cost.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Yes, I did also see the other item available for sale from another seller. I'm not sure what we are to assume. If it's the other item from a Global Shipping Program seller that this buyer has issues with, then that is another matter entirely. It's not about postage, per se, but the Global Shipping Program and what it offers and what cost.

The item is available from another seller, but for me, at least, it doesn't show up for the same item and shipping prices that the OP mentions in their post.

I also read the OP's concerns as being about shipping costs in general as they don't mention "postage" at all.  To me, "postage" refers to items being sent through the post or mail.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I really have no motivation to second-guess what the OP was 'really' talking about if he wasn't actually talking about what he said he was talking about; he quoted a cost of $13 for a specific (misspelled) item and said it was too much. That's really where it begins and ends for me. I was able to figure out what item the OP was really referring to by juxtaposing the two misspelled letters of the item at the root of the complaint, and I would agree it's likely they were really complaining about the other one of these two items available from a seller that only uses the GSP but I don't think it's appropriate to lead along the argument on the OP's behalf so I'm leaving it here with this: the Global Shipping Program is another subject entirely with its own whole host of complaints. If the OP returns to the thread to clarify his original post was half incorrect and he was actually referring to another matter entirely, then I would be happy to share my insight on the GSP at that point. Until then, I would simply be stoking the coals with no purpose. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Another US seller has that item for just under $20 but shipping is $42C. I'm not a fan of the gsp but I can understand why some sellers use it. I can't really understand why someone would send a $20 tool Priority though. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Whenever I see Priority as the only postage choice from a US Seller, I think one of three things: (a) they never got the memo that USPS First International Class now includes delivery past the US border into Canada; (b) they think that because the eBay.com postage discount applies to Priorty and not First class, they are compelled to use Priority, or (c) they're worried about the automatic five-star Shipping Speed DSR. Or, I guess, (d) they're hoping that too-high postage cost will dissuade international buyers because they don't want to deal with that can of worms.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Going by the title the OP gave to this thread, I'm reading the post as a complaint that there are no good deals to be had from US sellers once shipping is factored in.  The Global Shipping Program isn't the crux of their complaint.  (As PJ points out, it actually seems to be a more reasonably priced shipping option for this particular item.)

I did find that tool set on A-nother site from several sellers.  Most of them were asking C$34.99 in shipping except for one, who wanted C$7.98.  However, they priced the tool set at C$43.18!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

To me, "postage" refers to items being sent through the post or mail.

I would refer you to Alice's discussion with the White Knight when considering the meaning of words.

My pet peeve is referring to 'tracking' as being required of sellers by eBay, when:
  • it's not required
  • all eBay and Paypal want is Confirmation of Delivery, a much lower level of service,  in cases where delivery is disputed.

A better word would be 'shipping'.  But....

Out side of the Global Shipping Program, a Seller Protection option with little value to buyers, it is also possible that an unsophisticated sellers would see this:
https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

And believe he has to use the expensive Priority Shipping, instead of the cheaper, tracked First Class International Parcel rates under Shape and Size.

At any rate, as Mrs. B. Carter points out in her essay on replacability,  "I can have another you in a minute, matter of fact , he'll be here in  minute."

Message 9 of 9
latest reply