Seller de-listing an auction over and over even though there is bid for it

arteis
Community Member

Hi,

I notice a lot of NES game for sale with many bidding on it, it was up to $500.

I set it up to my watch list thinking about bidding on it later.

But the auction got de-listed and relisted, then few bid on it then de-listed and relisted again.

I bid on it at that point and a I was the winning bidder at $1005.

But right before the auction was over it got de-listed again!

It got relisted but I didn't bid on it again, I only put it on my watch list out of curiosity.

The auction bid when up to $1025 and right before the end of the auction... DE-LISTED!

It got relisted again at a minimum bid of $1000.

I didn't though this was accepted on Ebay.

I gather he got 5 transaction defect and through research Ebay might have charge the seller the final value fee.

Though it's hard to believe that Ebay is charging him $50.50, $100.50 and $102.50, the seller would stop doing his trick if it would cost him $100 a shot.

Does anyone know more on this subject?

Thanks,

Keven Noel

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

arteis
Community Member

I must correct myself, it was a lot of N64 game and the auction at $1025 didn't get cancelled a fifth times... Yet.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Being able to cancel may depend on the time before the auction ends, and if there are bids.  Officially.  

UNofficially I would question who the "high" bidder is, because if it is that close to the end the seller is supposed to sell to the high bidder, unless of course the high bidder happens to be himself, and he's trying to shill up everyone else to meet his price.  :-p  

If it were me, I would make a note of ALL the listing numbers and call eBay's Customer Service.  It would either be to report this irritating nonsense, or I would learn from a CS rep why the seller is allowed to continue like this.  Because you are right, it is really annoying and one of the things that puts buyers off.  

From the eBay help pagehttp://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/end_early.html#requirements

it says, 

We don't charge this fee if you end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder. (In this case, normal final value fees apply.)

But if he's selling to himself, he can do a "buyer requested" cancellation to get his fees back.  He can also relist right away.  

Up to you, but if you have the time you can call and report it to eBay.  They will either stop this, or explain how it is OK. (Or ignore it because the fees on over $1000 are pretty nice for eBay, no matter how the come by them).

Then you can come back and tell everyone how it went.  :-)  

end early.jpg

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Of course, the seller who is doing this is nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is.

Every time he does this, he annoys more of his potential customers, who will recognize the listing and move on when they see it next.

And eventually he lists and finds no bidders at all.

It approaches trumpian levels of dumbness.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply