Sellers cancels order due to "out of stock" but states reason as "Buyer requested cancellation"

kahur8
Community Member

Hello, so two days ago I purchased the Mobil Suit Gundam Seed PS Vita game from the seller (Top Rated Seller). He notified me yesterday that the item was out of stock and cancelled the order. Mistakes happen, I understand that BUT the reason he gives for cancelling the order is " Buyer asked to cancel the order". Is this normal? I'm fairly new to ebay with a total of 12 reviews (all positives) and want to make sure I'm not being used as a cover up for the seller's mistake. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Sellers cancels order due to "out of stock" but states reason as "Buyer requested cancellation"

Your seller has lied and put the onus on you, the buyer so that the seller will not be penalized by eBay for an "out of stock" strike. 

If you refuse the request, saying no it was not your idea to cancel, the seller wasn't able to supply my item, then they get dinged by the eBay system. Too many dings and the punishment can be costly to the seller.

If you agree  to their "story" then they get away with it and, who know's, perhaps rewarding bad behaviour like that will only encourage this/other sellers to continue doing wrong by and disappointing honest buyers?

Your call, go with your gut. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The seller did this to protect his selling account, because cancellations for "out of stock" are heavily punished by eBay, while "buyer request" has no effect on the account of the buyer or the seller.

I'd ask the seller if he is likely to get the game again in the near future, and if so would he notify me and honour the price you bought at.

And in future, read the feedback.

While eBay doesn't use feedback to assess seller accounts, a pattern of complaints about cancellations, slow shipping, or poor communication can mean the seller is dropshipping (or just bad at the job).

Dropshipping sellers have no control over their supplier's stock, only learning there is nothing available after they accept payment for an order.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I would refuse to accept this. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but will not go along with lies. Be reasonable with sellers and buyers but first and foremost, be honest.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Cancellations don't always give you the option to accept or deny so if you don't have this option, you could report the seller. Is there a report seller option in your purchase history? If not, you might have to phone ebay customer service. 

I can understand a seller not wanting to get an out of stock defect but when they lie and blame the buyer for the cancellation  instead of admitting to their mistake, it alienates buyers and that reflects on all ebay sellers.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply