Shopping on ebay is No More Fun - 0.99$ - 19.99$ - Many item in the same listing

When  shopping eBay now its very complicate to have the exact price and the correct item.

Now almost all seller put ex: 0.99$ - 20.00$ (Many item in the same listing) - you choose your item and Never available or the price change.

No more fun shopping - We need the exact price for item and if not available then, not supose to be listed on ebay. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Shopping on ebay is No More Fun - 0.99$ - 19.99$ - Many item in the same listing

Because the cheap itens appears  in search, and raise the postal price is a strategy .

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Re: Shopping on ebay is No More Fun - 0.99$ - 19.99$ - Many item in the same listing

you are shopping on a seller's page that has multiple similar items, and yes the cheapest is .99 cents, then when you scroll through the options it changes the price, nothing unusual about that  , it is a seller toll that is available to seller's..  for example when a seller has 20 lego figures there is a name for each of them, and as you scroll through the list the price changes for each one,  but the shipping remains the same.. nothing to be alarmed about,, if you don't like their prices move on to the next seller..  easy..

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Since paypal merged with globalshipping extra costs are added at the Canadian boarder, this all comes down to e-commerce regulations that are old and should be changed, Mark Eyking MP House of Commons Ottawa K1A 0A6 is trying to change old regulations.  Some companies absorb the cost but is this upping the pricetag?  I have called my credit card fraud division and am trying to get my shipping money back, this is not a duty charge it's a money-grab.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@annandrew-37wrote:

Some companies absorb the cost but is this upping the pricetag? 

I think so.  I've compared items sold on the US version of A-nother site to the same items from the same sellers on the Canadian version of that site, and they're a lot more expensive on the Canadian site.  The US site also forbids Canadians from buying those items.

@annandrew-37wrote:

I have called my credit card fraud division and am trying to get my shipping money back, this is not a duty charge it's a money-grab.

No, you're right, it's not a duty charge.  They're called "import charges" because you're repaying Pitney Bowes (doing business as "the Global Shipping Program") for paying applicable taxes and duties owing on your item on your behalf.  There's a bit extra to cover the costs associated with processing and clearing your item through customs as well as possible goof-ups.

You agreed to paying the "import charges" and Pitney Bowes shipping fee when you purchased the item.  There's a link to the agreement on the listing page and at checkout, if memory serves me correctly.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I am re-paying Pitney Bowes who jumped into the picture uninvited.  Undisclosed charges are against internet regulations and I will be writing a letter to an MP in Ottawa that is trying to change e-commerce regulations.  I am requesting $25.53 be returned to my credit card, hopefully the $58.40 will go to the seller.  I will not be doing business with paypal/globalshipping again.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Nowhere did I agree to such charges, this is against internet regulations and I should ask for full payment back but the seller only made the mistake of using e-bay and now e-bay customers are leaving the site for more reputable sites.  I paid for shipping and handling in my original payment of $58.40 the $25.53 by paypal/globalshipping/pitneybowes is undisclosed charges.  shopping Canadian is now  looking even better.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

The charges aren’t undisclosed. You can write dozens of letters if you want but it will be futile. No one will believe eBay is pulling a fast one. The process behind the Global Shipping Program and it’s administration through Pitney Bowes is well known among business and politics, even if it wasn’t to you. Sorry.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

But if you want to shop Canadian, that’s great news. I’m sure the sellers from Canada on eBay.ca will be happy to see you.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@annandrew-37wrote:

I am re-paying Pitney Bowes who jumped into the picture uninvited.  Undisclosed charges are against internet regulations and I will be writing a letter to an MP in Ottawa that is trying to change e-commerce regulations.  I am requesting $25.53 be returned to my credit card, hopefully the $58.40 will go to the seller.  I will not be doing business with paypal/globalshipping again.

Nowhere did I agree to such charges, this is against internet regulations and I should ask for full payment back but the seller only made the mistake of using e-bay and now e-bay customers are leaving the site for more reputable sites.  I paid for shipping and handling in my original payment of $58.40 the $25.53 by paypal/globalshipping/pitneybowes is undisclosed charges.  shopping Canadian is now  looking even better.

The amount you paid to the seller plus the amount you paid to Pitney Bowes should be no higher than the amount you were charged at checkout.  When I purchased my phone, it was made clear to me at checkout that the total payment would be split between the seller and Pitney Bowes.  The $25.53 is not an extra charge on top of what you were originally paid.  

In addition, listing pages also make it clear that Pitney Bowes will be involved in the transaction.  Here is an example:

Disclosure.jpg

Unless you can provide proof to your credit card issuer that there was no information on the listing page or at checkout on the import charges and Pitney Bowes' involvement in the sale and that the Pitney Bowes' charge was in addition to the total you paid at checkout, I doubt you'll see a refund of the $25.53 that you agreed to pay.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@marnotom!wrote:

When I purchased my phone, it was made clear to me at checkout that the total payment would be split between the seller and Pitney Bowes.  The $25.53 is not an extra charge on top of what you were originally paid.  

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Sorry but now its more complicated to find a item  whit a good price ... This is a big change ... waist of time....

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Shop Canadian. Use the filter at bottom left. Item Location: Canada Only.

That way, there are no surprises. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:

That way, there are no surprises. 

Unless the buyer finds out after committing to the sale that the seller charges GST or HST.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Add to Cart shows sales taxes if and when applicable. Paying tax should not be a surprise, nor should avoiding tax when shopping online be an expectation.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Had a chuckle reading your last comment:

No surprises......"Unless the buyer finds out after committing to the sale that the seller charges GST or HST."

I just made a few purchases from a seller I purchased from before & received this "surprise".

I always check before bidding to see if the seller will be charging any taxes on my purchases.   Not a big issue as I just adjust my bid a bit lower knowing that I'll be paying this tax.     In this case, no sales taxes were mentioned anywhere in his listings.

However, after my purchases, I was surprised that 12% sales taxes was tacked onto the invoice.

Went to check my previous purchases from this seller & saw no sales taxes were ever asked or paid.

How can I tactfully let the seller know that it would be wise to write somewhere in their listings that sales taxes may be assessed.

He seems to be a good &  friendly seller from my discussions with him.

Or shall I just let him find out when invariably one of his buyers will eventually will be posting some negative feedback because of this unannounced tax charge.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Add to Cart would show the sales taxes...but what if it is from winning a few auction listings & we must then request a combined total from the seller.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:
Add to Cart shows sales taxes if and when applicable. Paying tax should not be a surprise, nor should avoiding tax when shopping online be an expectation.

Fair enough, but I've never used the Cart in my 18 years or so of eBaying.  Even when I purchased my phone and case recently, I did it as two separate transactions.  I found my phone, purchased it, then started researching cases and purchased it in a separate transaction about half an hour later.  I suspect there are other eBayers who think in terms of "purchasing from a seller" rather than "purchasing from eBay" and ignore the cart as a result.

eBay is a different kettle of fish from most online retailers.  It's still regarded by some as an online neighbourhood garage sale with a patchwork quilt of approaches and not all sellers will handle the issue of local sales taxes the same way.  Some sellers don't have to worry about it.  Some absorb the tax in their listing prices and may or may not declare this on the invoice.  Some will charge it as a separate line item where it will definitely be declared on the invoice.

I don't think the issue is so much that people expect to "avoid" paying taxes when buying online.  I think it's more that at Checkout, eBay buyers expect to have their charges for a purchase match the information on the listing page.  I suspect that's why some people are blindsided by the GSP's charges at Checkout.  If they're using the .com site to make their purchases, the "import charges" aren't always stated on the listing page.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply