Toner cartridge HP 17A

rmori7
Community Member

If you have to replace your HP 17A toner cartridge, do buy only original HP item because all those replacement cartridge manufacture by others are pure **bleep**.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Toner cartridge HP 17A

There you are for the legal warranty.

Regarding the manufacturer, there is notning or the box except the GSP shipping charges from Pitney Bowes who manufacture toner cartridge for their products.

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

“A legal warranty covers products bought or leased (rented) in Quebec, even if they come from somewhere else. It is provided to consumers free of charge.”

Quebec has loads of interesting laws, do they not?
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

@rmori7 wrote:

I bought a home A/C with a 6 years warranty and a 20 years expected life. When I got a leak on the evaporator in year 9, I have requested a full replacement of the evaporator under the legal warranty because it fails before the product expected life, and I got it under the legal warranty. In my case both toner cartridges fail at page 1 on an expected life of 1600 pages. So the Canadian E-Bay should respect the legal warranty and refund the defective items.

A 1600 page "yield" is not the same as an expected lifespan for an item.  It's merely a visualization of the capacity of the cartridge and is an approximation.  If you're only going to print one character on a page, the page yield is going to be far more than if you cover all your pages in black toner ink. 

It's a bit like saying that my little Toyota will go 600 km on a tank of gas.  It probably will under ideal conditions, but conditions aren't always ideal, and there's no warranty implied in that sort of statement.

There are too many factors to consider when estimating the lifespan of a printer cartridge.  While laser toner cartridges tend to be more robust and forgiving in storage than inkjet cartridges, I agree with @momcqueen that having the cartridges in storage for six months may have affected their condition.

eBay Canada owes you no refund on the cartridges just as Cadillac Fairview wouldn't owe you a refund if you had purchased the cartridges from, say, a kiosk in Fairview Pointe Claire shopping centre.   eBay and PayPal give you the means to pursue a refund, but even those means have a time limit.  This has to be worked out with the seller of the cartridges.  eBay did not sell you the cartridges.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

Here then is your recourse.

https://m.opc.gouv.qc.ca/index.php?id=30&L=1

Best of luck to you.
Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@rmori7 wrote:

Regarding the manufacturer, there is notning or the box except the GSP shipping charges from Pitney Bowes who manufacture toner cartridge for their products.

Pitney Bowes--doing business as the GSP--forwarded the items from the United States to you, with the help of a freight carrier and Canada Post.  They don't manufacture toner cartridges.  Your cartridges were either manufactured by or for HP Inc. or else they're an unauthorized knock-off.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

This product was purchase in my home located in Quebec from Canadian E-Bay web site and this item is cover by the legal warranty regardless of the E-Bay 30 days coverage because it fails at page 1 of the 1600 pages of its expected life. It was purchased from a seller who is selling on Canadian E-Bay and shipped by Pitney Bowes.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

I suggest you file a claim under the government consumer site identified. Trying to convince other eBay users of the legitimacy of your claim is fruitless. Good luck to you.
Message 27 of 34
latest reply

A page yield specification is not a basis for a legal warranty. 

From the HP website:

Approximate average yield based on ISO/IEC 19752. Actual yield varies considerably based on content of printed pages and other factors. 

You'll need to base your claim on something other than page yield.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

The casing is different from the original HP toner

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

@rmori7 wrote:

The casing is different from the original HP toner

If you think you can make a claim for the cartridges not working as intended based on the casing, go for it.

Message 30 of 34
latest reply

@rmori7 wrote:

This product was purchase in my home located in Quebec from Canadian E-Bay web site and this item is cover by the legal warranty regardless of the E-Bay 30 days coverage because it fails at page 1 of the 1600 pages of its expected life. It was purchased from a seller who is selling on Canadian E-Bay and shipped by Pitney Bowes.

That seller is based in the USA (since 2001) and sells on eBay.COM (USA).

They export to Canada using the Global Shipping Program (GSP) which is managed by Pitney Bowes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitney_Bowes).

The American seller appears to sell a mix of original, compatible and refilled cartridges. Most of the feedback complaints in the last year are about defective product (roughly 1.5%).

The 17A cartridges they have currently have for sale are a non-branded generic laser cartridge, not manufactured by OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) .

Even so, it should not fail on page one unless the HP printer has detected it as a problem cartridge (perhaps the chip in the cartridge has gone bad). 

Unfortunately, you're beyond the defective product protection times allowed by both ebay and paypal. And enforcing it via Quebec court against an American based seller will be difficult.

-..-

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

You left out:

• Do not store cartridges for six months and expect them to work perfectly.
  • Be aware of deadlines for disputes and guarantees.

You may have warranty protection from the ACTUAL MANUFACTURER of the cartridge.

Not the retailer (eBay seller)

Not the shopping venue (eBay)

Not the shipper (USPS/ GSP/Canada Post)

So look on the instruction leaflet for the name and address of the manufacturer and try there.

Many manufacturers do not extend their warranties to online sales unless the seller is an authorized dealer.

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

NO name on the instruction sheet

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

Message 34 of 34
latest reply