Why are the Asian sellers allowed to create variation listings with one cheap item in the mix?

tc-77
Community Member

Its extremely frustrating to try and search for an item such as an external cel phone battery backup, using price+shipping lowest first, only to have the results skewed because the seller has included a cord, or screen protector in the variations for 99 cents.  Then when you select one of the chargers, suddenly the price jumps to a few dollars.  This is intentionally misleading, and only designed to place their more expensive items at the top of the search results.   Variation listings should only be allowed for one kind of an item, not to be abused by including a different type of an item purely to make the listed item appear cheaper.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Why are the Asian sellers allowed to create variation listings with one cheap item in the mix?

using price+shipping lowest first

Which is why this is not a useful Search.

Start with Price+ Shipping Highest First.

It is usually faster to scroll down through a few dozen items to your price range, than to scroll up through hundreds of sketchey listings.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

This infuriates me. I have very little money, I'm sure I'm not alone. I'l think Oh I can buy a cell phone finally.

I need one for protection.  And it' s advertised at 95.00 and as soon as I click any choice even the colour

it goes to 300.00

If you actually need something,  it's not just frustrating I've ended up in tears

I do wonder why EBAY allows this. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2014

The problem with zombie threads is that the information they contain may be out of date and inaccurate.

@tyler@ebay.com

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Betty.

Change to the Highest Price +Shipping First Search and drill down to your price point.

On the left side, choose Canada Only for location.

When you have your Search whittled down, use Watch List to make comparisons.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Betty, I would also suggest doing some searches for phone reviews and using those to help narrow down the possibilities, then you can just search for a specific phone and bypass much of the junk listings in the process.  There are lots of pages on review sites that just focus on budget phones.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply