Why do I have 2 different tracking numbers from 2 different countries

Hi there ! I recently bought a gemstone from a seller in China. I received a tracking number where it's being shipped from China. It's just been picked up in the regional distribution facility. I also received a tracking number from UAE saying it's just been picked up in Dubai. Not sure what's going on. Ive seen sellers sell from outside their country of origin before, but why is there 2 tracking numbers from different places ? I don't see how it's possible that the item is in 2 different places in the world at the same time. I guess it doesn't matter as long as I receive the product, but I'm curious how this comes about. Is it coming from China or Dubai. It's a unique one of a kind product, it's not like I'm getting 2 of them.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

marnotom!
Community Member
Your item may be being handled by a mail or freight consolidator. My guess is that it's being shipped out to a hub in Dubai with a lot of similar merchandise and will get reshipped from there.

I once purchased a cell phone case that I suspect originated in China, despite the listing stating it shipped from a US location. However, the package itself stated that the postage was purchased in Sweden. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

We see a lot of mail (mostly British philatelic auction catalogues) which have actually been shipped from Malta, and a few from the Netherlands.

Mass mailings of heavy items from the lowest priced national postal system.

Shippers in the European Union do this a lot.

Keep an eye on the last estimated date for arrival eBay gave you. If the stone has not arrived by then, you can open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If it arrives during the Dispute, you can change the reason to Not As Described if necessary.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I'm pretty confident that I will recieve the item ahead of the delivery date. I am just curious how 2 different tracking numbers seem to be updating and working from 2 different countries.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@puritygems wrote:

I'm pretty confident that I will recieve the item ahead of the delivery date. I am just curious how 2 different tracking numbers seem to be updating and working from 2 different countries.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this.  I've found other things to distract me on the internet besides eBay.  😇

If your item is being shipped with a mail or freight consolidator, the company handling your item in Dubai will have received the other tracking number you received.  From there, they generated a tracking number for your item that will be used once your item is received in Dubai.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply