Why is the Global Shipping Program so expensive between the USA and Canada?

I'm a casual collector of coins and trading cards and eBay used to be one of my go to places for making such purchases. However, more and more, I have come up against the Global Shipping Program and I find it very dissuasive. I can't tell you how many items I've decided not to buy because of this stupid program. Shipping for a single coin or card from the USA to Canada usually hovers around 19 USD, which is ludicrous when you're trying to buy a single item that costs less than 2$. I'm supposed to pay 10 times the price of my item in shipping costs?

Worst of all, you can't even buy multiple items from one seller and combine shipping. This is completely absurd. There's no way to even offset shipping costs by buying multiple items. Sellers must be losing money left and right. I don't understand why the program makes shipping so expensive (shipping for small items from the USA to Canada used to be like $5 through USPS) and, most of all, I don't understand why you can't combien items. Can anyone explain it to me.?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Why is the Global Shipping Program so expensive between the USA and Canada?

ken027
Community Member

Agree, This will pretty much kick me out of buying items from E-Bay that are shipped from the US, costs for a shoe-box sized parcel that weighs about a pound have now risen from 28-32 us  to 50 us....so I'm done, can only use E-Bay Canada now, or find the odd seller in the US who still uses the USPS. 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@ken027 wrote:

Agree, This will pretty much kick me out of buying items from E-Bay that are shipped from the US, costs for a shoe-box sized parcel that weighs about a pound have now risen from 28-32 us  to 50 us....so I'm done, can only use E-Bay Canada now, or find the odd seller in the US who still uses the USPS. 

@ken027 

The GSP shipping service is being phased out. Details attached for the replacement program. What you will see from US sellers going forward may vary. Still very much a wait and see to confirm if this replacement will be better or not so!!! As with all online purchases best to question prior to ordering so there are no end of the line surprises.

https://pages.ebay.com/internationalshippingprogram/seller/terms/

-Lotz

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 24 of 24
latest reply