Your item is being inspected on shipping hub

gabric-50
Community Member

Hello can somebody explain why my package is being inspected at the shipping hub for 3 days, I just don't understand what they are doing can someone explain it to me please ? Thank you.

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Your item is being inspected on shipping hub

@chipnetics wrote:

Just wanted to chime in too, Albertan here with a $2300 item stuck in Carol Stream, IL for 2 weeks now.  I'm relieved to see this is an epidemic. I really don't know how eBay can run this way.  I would have rather bought a plane ticket with Flair and picked the item up personally at this point. No way will I purchase from a seller shipping via the eIS program ever again. 

Epidemic?  About a dozen buyers have posted to this thread, one of them isn't even in Canada.  We really don't know how much of this is a reflection of most buyers' experiences with eIS.  If things go well for people, they don't usually go out of their way to post about it on these discussion boards.

From what I can figure out from the tracking (which is a bit confusing with the multiple carriers involved), my item spent two days in Elk Grove Village, Illinois.  Maybe that hub is less busy than the other ones that tend to get mentioned in these posts, or maybe it's better organized, or maybe it's because all I bought was a pair of jeans.  If there was any delay, it appears to have happened once the item entered Canada.  There's a nine day gap in the tracking with no event scans whatsoever.

Is your item late at this point?  Mine arrived the day before the last estimated date of delivery, and quite frankly, I don't care what kind of journey it took or where it was delayed.  It got to me within the estimated timeframe in the condition stated in the listing and that's what matters.

Look, I get it.  Your item is expensive and you have some emotional investment in it already even though it's not officially yours yet.  But checking the tracking before it's due to arrive isn't really doing you any favours in the blood pressure department.  I would also suggest to you that if you're in the habit of buying high-ticket items like this that you're unlikely to find sellers using the post office to ship them out of the United States, and the protections offered to sellers through eIS would probably encourage sellers who use carriers like UPS and FedEx to use eIS for their international sales.

If you're wanting to avoid having your items shipped by eIS in the future, you're probably best setting up an account with a forwarding service in the US that will do the same job as eIS, but probably faster and more expensively.  You'll probably also see a loss of some of your buyer protections through eBay, unfortunately.

Message 41 of 55
latest reply

A freight forwarder would also deal with duty and sales taxes (for the same fee) which eIS does not, unlike the older Global Shipping Program.

But yes, using your own freight forwarder loses some Buyer Protections.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?....

However , if the buyer pays with Paypal backed by a credit card, they have two other layers of Buyer Protection from those businesses.  And possibly something from the freight forwarder.

Message 42 of 55
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@chipnetics wrote:

Just wanted to chime in too, Albertan here with a $2300 item stuck in Carol Stream, IL for 2 weeks now.  I'm relieved to see this is an epidemic. I really don't know how eBay can run this way.  I would have rather bought a plane ticket with Flair and picked the item up personally at this point. No way will I purchase from a seller shipping via the eIS program ever again. 

Epidemic?  About a dozen buyers have posted to this thread, one of them isn't even in Canada.  We really don't know how much of this is a reflection of most buyers' experiences with eIS.  If things go well for people, they don't usually go out of their way to post about it on these discussion boards.

From what I can figure out from the tracking (which is a bit confusing with the multiple carriers involved), my item spent two days in Elk Grove Village, Illinois.  Maybe that hub is less busy than the other ones that tend to get mentioned in these posts, or maybe it's better organized, or maybe it's because all I bought was a pair of jeans.  If there was any delay, it appears to have happened once the item entered Canada.  There's a nine day gap in the tracking with no event scans whatsoever.

Is your item late at this point?  Mine arrived the day before the last estimated date of delivery, and quite frankly, I don't care what kind of journey it took or where it was delayed.  It got to me within the estimated timeframe in the condition stated in the listing and that's what matters.

Look, I get it.  Your item is expensive and you have some emotional investment in it already even though it's not officially yours yet.  But checking the tracking before it's due to arrive isn't really doing you any favours in the blood pressure department.  I would also suggest to you that if you're in the habit of buying high-ticket items like this that you're unlikely to find sellers using the post office to ship them out of the United States, and the protections offered to sellers through eIS would probably encourage sellers who use carriers like UPS and FedEx to use eIS for their international sales.

If you're wanting to avoid having your items shipped by eIS in the future, you're probably best setting up an account with a forwarding service in the US that will do the same job as eIS, but probably faster and more expensively.  You'll probably also see a loss of some of your buyer protections through eBay, unfortunately.

@marnotom! 

With your own recent purchase through EIS when you view the charges especially the portion does it give you a breakdown of the fees for shipping, tax and processing? If it doesn't maybe it should. That way buyers might have a better understanding of what they are getting billed and if it's value makes any sence.

I haven't used PayPal in years since the switch to MP.  In those pre PayPal days you did see a bit of a split or an explanation of each purchase and what it was attached to. As I recall now going forward if you were to go to PayPal it is just an amount and a date. 

Having this sort of change would add some transparency to the process. Does EIS make things any better for the international buying experience especially when there are problems, delays or what appears to be more cost than there should be? Sure doesn't sound like it!!!

-Lotz

@reallynicestamps 

In practice if a buyer were to use a freight forwarder vs EIS would it improve (lower) the shipping cost and speed up transit time? Has anyone recently tested this using eBay? These seem to be the 2 most common complaints. Well those and maybe the lack of a combined shipping option.

Message 43 of 55
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

However , if the buyer pays with Paypal backed by a credit card, they have two other layers of Buyer Protection from those businesses.  And possibly something from the freight forwarder.

Keep in mind that just as with MP, PayPal considers proof of delivery to the address provided for the transaction. so if a buyer is dealing with a Freight Forwarder who doesn't want to take responsibility for an item missing in transit or whatever, the buyer is not going to get help from PayPal.  I'm not sure how credit card issuers deal with these sorts of cases.

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@marnotom! 

With your own recent purchase through EIS when you view the charges especially the portion does it give you a breakdown of the fees for shipping, tax and processing? If it doesn't maybe it should. That way buyers might have a better understanding of what they are getting billed and if it's value makes any sence.

Don't forget, @lotzofuniquegoodies, at this point eIS isn't officially levying tax and duty charges at Checkout.  My purchase was valued at less than C$40, so it was shipped from Illinois with a "DDP" (Delivered Duties Paid) sticker on it, even though that's not really an accurate description of the shipment.

Reviewing the order details in my My eBay, I see what I would have seen on the listing page: A charge for the item, and a single charge for shipping.

@

I haven't used PayPal in years since the switch to MP.  In those pre PayPal days you did see a bit of a split or an explanation of each purchase and what it was attached to. As I recall now going forward if you were to go to PayPal it is just an amount and a date. 

Yes, I suspect that now that PayPal is spun off from eBay it no longer has access to the details of the sale.  When I review the archived PayPal transaction, I don't get any sort of breakdown of the total I paid to eBay.

Having this sort of change would add some transparency to the process. Does EIS make things any better for the international buying experience especially when there are problems, delays or what appears to be more cost than there should be? Sure doesn't sound like it!!!

Right now, eIS listings seem to be a mixture of those where taxes and duty are paid upon receipt, those where taxes and duty are charged at Checkout, and ones where there's a note on the listing page that proclaims that the item isn't subject to duties.

A little while ago, I went through the motions of "purchasing" an item handled by eIS where the taxes were charged at Checkout and the breakdown was an absolute mess.  It included a 1% charge for something and some oddball percentages for BC PST and GST.  However, doing the math it seemed to work out fine.  I'd say that at this point asking for transparency is a "careful what you wish for" exercise.

Message 45 of 55
latest reply

a freight forwarder vs EIS would it improve (lower) the shipping cost and speed up transit time?

I don't buy enough to make it possible to check myself.

After decades in mail order I have learned that 21 days in transit is not unusual between Canada and the USA.

I feel that a lot of the angst here is because people don't look at the last estimated delivery date.

Perhaps making that more prominent on all purchases would be useful.

And another problem is import fees.

Buyers complained that the GSP "shipping " fees were too high, without understanding that those included* duty and sales tax.

As Marnotom points out, eIS makes a mess of reporting import fees. Some buyers are paying them upfront, some on the doorstep.

Neither is going to make the buyer happy.

*Sometimes the import fees were on a different line. This did not help with the complaints.

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@marnotom! 

Don't forget, @lotzofuniquegoodies, at this point eIS isn't officially levying tax and duty charges at Checkout.  My purchase was valued at less than C$40, so it was shipped from Illinois with a "DDP" (Delivered Duties Paid) sticker on it, even though that's not really an accurate description of the shipment.

Reviewing the order details in my My eBay, I see what I would have seen on the listing page: A charge for the item, and a single charge for shipping.

@

Yes, I suspect that now that PayPal is spun off from eBay it no longer has access to the details of the sale.  When I review the archived PayPal transaction, I don't get any sort of breakdown of the total I paid to eBay.

Right now, eIS listings seem to be a mixture of those where taxes and duty are paid upon receipt, those where taxes and duty are charged at Checkout, and ones where there's a note on the listing page that proclaims that the item isn't subject to duties.

A little while ago, I went through the motions of "purchasing" an item handled by eIS where the taxes were charged at Checkout and the breakdown was an absolute mess.  It included a 1% charge for something and some oddball percentages for BC PST and GST.  However, doing the math it seemed to work out fine.  I'd say that at this point asking for transparency is a "careful what you wish for" exercise.

@marnotom! 

Details & history used to be easy to find within Ebay. Going forward it has become a 180 in relationship to transparency. Seems the goal is to make anything important suddenly poof in the dark of night.  Advise eBay that something is important is missing and it's avoided when it comes to being properly addressed. 

According to previous responses from eBay they "monitor" what is going on with EIS. Total agreement there should be some sort of transparency prior to a purchase being made that any taxes are being paid either at time of purchase or on receipt. It's stuff buyers need to know.... in advance. For many (Canadian) buyers all it takes is 1 transaction to go off the rails. In majority of cases they won't be coming back. The old fool me once situation. EIS (for the buyers that show up here) does not seem like an improvement in the scheme of things. The problem when something is designed by eBay mostly from a sellers perspective and doesn't address buyers concerns. Isn't eBay supposed to work for both parties? 

Put another way, in eBay's mind it is perfectly acceptable for an EIS transaction to take 3 to 5/6 weeks to either be delivered or considered lost, yet when a Canadian seller ships something that as per eBay should be 7 to 10 days (ebay's whimsicle transit times...not mine) takes a day or 3 longer it suddenly has become a major travesty. Refund Refund Refund, with nothing built into the eBay system for a seller to get their money back for a delivered item. Getting (US) buyers to be cooperative when it comes to a late is a whole other subject. 

-Lotz

Message 47 of 55
latest reply

but I want my item....

It is not about the refund, I bought this item because I need it.

And what make me crazy is that eBay is not doing the job

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

The Money Back Guarantee is just that.

If the transaction doesn't work out, you get your money back.

What is the last estimated date for delivery?

September 19th?
Open the Not Received claim.

You will be refunded.

You will not be required to return the shipment if it arrives late.

You can't always get what you want.

Message 49 of 55
latest reply

According to previous responses from eBay they "monitor" what is going on with EIS. Total agreement there should be some sort of transparency prior to a purchase being made that any taxes are being paid either at time of purchase or on receipt. It's stuff buyers need to know.... in advance. For many (Canadian) buyers all it takes is 1 transaction to go off the rails. In majority of cases they won't be coming back. The old fool me once situation. EIS (for the buyers that show up here) does not seem like an improvement in the scheme of things. The problem when something is designed by eBay mostly from a sellers perspective and doesn't address buyers concerns. Isn't eBay supposed to work for both parties? 

For listings where eIS is used, there's a section for "import charges" on the listing page where it used to be for GSP listings.  It states whether taxes and duties are charged at Checkout or if they may be due upon receipt of the item.  There's a similar statement about taxes and duties possibly being charged on listings where the seller uses more direct shipping methods for their international sales.

Posts from buyers blindsided by import charges aren't nearly as common on these discussion boards as they were twenty or so years ago, but of course these boards see a lot less traffic as well.

Message 50 of 55
latest reply

What if I don't get my item, after getting refund?

I get what you mean, but like I said.

I bought the item, because I need it, not because just to waste my time and get refund.

Getting refund is not important, getting the item is important.

Message 51 of 55
latest reply

Hey All, 

Here's a new chapter of my EIS story.

Last 13th Spetember, I received a new PB tracking number after 1 month and half without any info. The last date of delivery was August 24th. This PB tracking number has *of course* not updated since. I investigated this PB tracking number and found an EEUSXXXXXXXFR as "reference number" of my delivery.

This EEUS reference number provides me more information about the parcel but it also doesn't update. Each day the status reminds that the "Package being prepared by easyship" at the time I'm updating the delivery status on parcelapp.

On easyship tracking tool it says that I used a carrier with limited tracking.

Definitely, Ebay lied about its so-called EiS full-time tracking...

I'm not sure this story will end.

Have a nice day.

Message 52 of 55
latest reply

does it give you a breakdown of the fees for shipping, tax and processing? If it doesn't maybe it should. T

GSP did not break down the import fees it collected either. They collected the fees and THEY paid the duty and tax as applicable and included a small (~$5) service fee.

And one reason for doing this was that GSP was specifically not supposed to be used for business to business transactions.

Another was of course that the buyer was not paying the duty or tax, GSP was, so it was none of the customer's business how GSP calculated the import fee or how those fees were distributed.

Any more than it is the customer's business how the seller came up with the price for his goods.

Is there anything in the eIS agreement that prohibits B2B transactions?

Message 53 of 55
latest reply

Zombie thread from 01-04-2023 03:57 PM

Message 54 of 55
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 55 of 55
latest reply