eBay closed the case without much information

I bought an object and when I opened it, the paint was clearly flawed. I messaged the seller, it didn't work, so I opened a case with ebay. They gave us a couple of days to try to resolve the problem. Which after much messages, we concluded I'll send it back for a full refund.  That's what I did. And that's where the problem started.

ebay messaged me the same day I mailed the package saying I needed to send it back and suddenly mention I needed to provide a tracking number. Something they didn't mention before, so of course, I didn't use a trackable service. When I got that message I replied immediately, asking what I was supposed to do. I provided all the proof I had the package was mailed (receipt, etc). That was on April 27th.

They just closed my case saying only "After reviewing all the details of this case, we determined that you won't receive a refund."

I'm in shock. Is there anything I can do? Note that it's the first time I have any problem with ebay and I had no idea how refund works. I feel I wasn't correctly informed by the ebay agent and it caused this whole mess. Even before writing this message I re-read the only communication I got from ebay before I mailed it and it doesn't mention I need to get a tracking number.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You have been on ebay for many years, so you should have known the process for returning an item.  Unfortunately, there are rules that must be followed to keep everyone honest.  Sometimes that may seem unfair, but try to see it from the ebays point.    With proof of return, everyone is protected.  See it as a learning experience.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You opened a "item not as described" (INAD) case with eBay.

If this is the case the seller is obligated to provide you with a return shipping label or PayPal you the funds for shipping the item back.

In order for eBay to rule in your favor the item must be sent back with a tracking number (proof of delivery). 

If there is no proof of delivery, eBay will side with the seller.

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

How much has this cost you? 

As has been said, in cases of Items Not as Described, the seller would be the one who paid for postage to send it back.

Call ebay Customer Service back to express your discontent. It's possible that if you are firm and polite they will throw you a bone to keep you happy if you have been a well-behaved customer this whole time. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If this is the same item as in your other threads - helpful people on this forum advised you to send it back with delivery confirmation.

As "pinetreecottage" said - a learning experience.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

EBay may not have been clear about it, but your fellow members were.

You can contact the seller, who helpfully sent you the return postage via Paypal, and ask if the shipment has arrived and politely reminding him that he owes you a refund.

Because eBay has closed the case, and because Paypal also requires Proof of Delivery (the tracking number you did not get) you may have to go to the credit card I hope you use to back your PP account and ask them for a chargeback.

Some, but not all, cards will allow chargebacks with proof of shipping, if you got a receipt when you sent the item back.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Who decided what postal service to use at what cost? You or the seller? If it was the seller who specifically instructed you to use an untracked service, they forfeited right to tracking showing as delivered as is stated in the MBG. But eBay needs to know that before they decide the case, not after.

We all gave you proper advice about this, we’ll do so again. You’d be wise to follow it.

Call and appeal on the grounds you’ll be a better listener if it ever happens again.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply