"The seller can't send a return shipping label"

Hi,

I purchased a phone but it was locked by PIN once it's turned on. The seller replied "I have the pin but I cannot provide it as that would create a security breach." I tried the factory reset procedure from the manufacturer's site, but it did not work, and the phone gives "No command" message. I tried suggestions from websites to get around this message, but I was not successful.

Also, the phone's description mentioned that the charger is included, and the picture shows a charger, but that charger is not included. The charger wouldn't be a big deal to me if the phone was not PIN locked.

I requested a refund, which was accepted, but got an email:

"Seller [...] let us know that they can't buy a return shipping label for you to use for ASUS ZenFone 2 ZE551ML - 64GB - Silver (Unlocked) Smartphone."

I spoke with eBay support who promised that I'd receive a mailing label yesterday, but I have not received a label yet.

I sent a message the seller for a return label, but there was no reply. The last message from the seller: "wow did you know there are actually humans behind these sales? I am a busy person so i forgot to check one last time if it was reset. Most people can do simple troubleshooting and I'm sorry it's proven to be too much for you. I'm nto trying to scam anybody. Buying used phones requires a little bit of willingness to learn."

Both the seller and me are in Canada.

I am quite surprised about the "The seller can't send a return shipping label" message. I thought the seller had to provide a mailing label.

How do I get the label to send it back?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: "The seller can't send a return shipping label"

I requested a refund, which was accepted, but got an email:

"Seller [...] let us know that they can't buy a return shipping label for you to use for ASUS ZenFone 2 ZE551ML - 64GB - Silver (Unlocked) Smartphone."

I spoke with eBay support who promised that I'd receive a mailing label yesterday, but I have not received a label yet.

So you have an open Dispute for Not As Described, the seller has been told to send you a Return Shipping Label and has not.

Customer Service reps have a quota and will say anything to get you off the phone. Don't trust them.

Try contacting one of these (Facebook allows more keystrokes). These reps are better trained and are not yet burned out.

State in your message that you are both in Canada.

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

You could also (politely) demand of the eBay rep that the Dispute be closed in your favour immediately because of the refusal to send a return shipping label.

"wow did you know there are actually humans behind these sales? I am a busy person so i forgot to check one last time if it was reset. Most people can do simple troubleshooting and I'm sorry it's proven to be too much for you. I'm nto trying to scam anybody. Buying used phones requires a little bit of willingness to learn."

What a snotty vratch! Sheesh!

And he can't spell worth a tinker's.

Do you back your Paypal account with a credit card? Or did you pay with a credit card? Keep in mind that if you lose the Dispute for some reason, you can get a chargeback on the card.
Maybe you should call your card and ask about their policy on returns.  Don't open the chargeback unless the eBay Dispute goes against you though.

Chargebacks go through PP. And PP will charge a recalcitrant seller a $20 or so fee for refunding when they don't cooperate.

But that is not something you need to share with eBay or with the seller. Just keep it in mind.

Usually I would be suggesting that after losing an eBay dispute, the unhappy customer should go to PP, but PP insists that the customer pay to return the item with tracking.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your advice, reallynicestamps.  I had a feeling the eBay rep wasn't going to follow through, because I offered to wait on the line for him to send the shipping label, but he said he could only do it after the call.

I tried contacting customer service again, but the rep wouldn't close the case yet.  He said he'd sent a message to the seller to send me the label, and if the seller still refuses after 3 days, a decision could be made in my favor.

If there's still no resolution, I'll try those two links you sent.  Thanks!

I had paid directly with credit card through eBay (not Paypal).  Hopefully I won't have to do a chargeback.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The chargeback is actually handled by PP, but there is no need for you to worry about that. It's just part of how the sausage is made.

If you do have to go that far-- and the three days is actually a Good Thing since the idea is that the seller gets a chance to think it over and decide to cooperate-- let us know how it goes.

Chargebacks are not often heard about here from the buyer's perspective.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I see, femmefan1946!

I was actually quite puzzled how I got the message titled "The seller can't send a return shippnig label," because the message appears to come from eBay itself (not the seller).  I was under the impression that according to eBay policy, the seller has to provide the label when it's not as described, so I was a bit surprised eBay would send a message like that.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The only time an automatic label can be provided by the seller or eBay is if both are in the US.  However there are ways for the seller to send you a label or money for a label although some aren't aware of that or hope that you aren't aware of it.

Since you're both in Canada the seller could go to PayPal.com/shipnow and  set up a label from you to their location as a pdf and then send it to you through the case in a message or by email.  Since you are both in a transaction it is ok for you to give them your email address.  You might want to first package the phone so that you can give them the weight and dimensions for the label. Or if you can use the same packaging, let them know so they can use the same dimensions.

Based on the sellers on response they don't sound very buyer oriented (I'm being nice) so they might just ignore you.  If they don't send you a label do contact cs through FB it Twitter before the date that you are supposed to send the phone back.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, pjcdn2005.  That is starting to make more sense now.  I thought if both the buyer and the seller were in Canada, the system could easily generate the return shipping label.  I didn't realize it was a US only thing.

And yes, you are absolutely right: the seller ignored my message when I asked for a return shipping label!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, everyone.  I finally got a refund from Customer Service.

The strangest thing happened on the phone today.  An agent I spoke with last week had mentioned that he'd sent an automated email to the seller asking him to send me a return shipping label by May 17 and to call back on May 18 to close the case if the seller still didn't respond.  Today, the agent I spoke with promised that he would close the case in my favor, but then I immediately received an email stating I need to wait 3 days, until May 25.  Both the agent and I were surprised, but then he looked into it some more and was able to close the case in my favor.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply