Bought a defective item from a seller which clearly states 2 years warranty.

I bought an item from someone, which states it has a 2 year warranty. The seller apparently sent a replacement, which never arrived. The tracking shows it arrived, but I certainly don't have it. So I still have my broken item, ~22 months left on warranty, and the seller refuses to honour their warranty. Are there any steps I can take? I don't want to flame or bash the company, I simply want my item.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I bought an item from someone, which states it has a 2 year warranty.

Most warranties come not from the seller but from the manufactuter.

Was this the case with your thingie? Did you send in the warranty card to the manufacturer? Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Many manufacturers will not honour a warranty when the thingie is sold online, unless the seller is a designated retailer of the company's goods. This is usually because the company does not have a paper trail to show that the thingie was properly handled along the line from the factory to the buyer.

(And that leaves out refurbished goods and stolen goods entirely.)

The seller apparently sent a replacement, which never arrived. The tracking shows it arrived, but I certainly don't have it.

Have you asked at your postal outlet? Have you asked family and housemates about it?

I don't want to flame or bash the company, I simply want my item.

Well, there is no reason to believe the replacement (which seems to have existed at least) was any better than the original.

General wisdom here is to get a cash refund (on return) and then if you are still happy with the company reorder and start a new transaction.

Since the company is being uncooperative, your last step is feedback. "Broke after two weeks Promised replacement has not arrived." for example.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Yeah. The company is the manufacturer is the seller. There is no statement offered as to whom I would go to in this case. Just that they won't do anything further.

I have talked to the postal outlet. It's a PO Box and I'm the only one with a key.

When I tried to leave feedback, it was deleted. No explanation, nothing. Just poof, gone. And I didn't leave anything vulgar or against policy.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Did you open an Item Not as Described dispute with Paypal?

PP allows disputes for 180 days from payment.

The drawback is that you must return the unwanted item and pay for the return postage. Don't forget to get Confirmation of Delivery and Signature Confirmation.*

Paypal's Resolution Centre is under Tools at the top of your account page.

You will need the transaction number from your original payment.

You don't want a replacement.

You ON:Y want a refund.

Why would you think a replacement would work any better?

When the Dispute shows the item has been received by the seller, you will be refunded.

*Signature is only required by PP if the value is over $650. Get it anyway. It's a buck and a half well spent.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I am awaiting another contact with this seller before I go that route. I still have time to do it, and I have zero problem returning the thing. It's useless to me. It's not like I'm trying to scam them out of gear.

But that's a good idea. And yep. I NEVER SEND ANYTHING without requiring signature. It's just common sense.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply