New International shipping rates US to Canada

I've been a regular eBay buyer (never a seller) for over 20 years. We lived in the US  for over 15 years, and when we moved to Canada several years ago, I was happy to pay what seemed like reasonable charges to have items from US sellers delivered. As of last fall's  implementation of the new eBay "International Shipping" policy, even small, light  clothing items frequently ship with charges as high as $60 and more. I simply refuse to pay that much to have a $25 item shipped as I suspect much of the profit from these transactions is going into eBay's pocket. I have tried negotiating with individual sellers to arrange lower shipping rates, but I find they often refuse or ignore me. I get that--it's a lot of trouble to change shipping arrangements for just a few items. Does anyone know of a route for appealing this change to eBay? Am I alone in finding this change unreasonable? My only recourse here is to stop supporting eBay sellers, and I really don't want to do that...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (13)

Answers (13)

If you see a charge of $60 ish for a small item, that might be because the seller did not enter the weight and dimensions for their package which causes Ebay International Shipping to estimate the shipping cost, obviously they are estimating high. Sellers were not required to do that with the gsp so some don't realize that it needs to be done now.  Other than that, the seller does not have any control over the international shipping cost. 

There is a list of shipping cost, I'll post the link at the end of this post in case  you are interested.  The way that it works is the cost on that chart is added to whatever the seller is charging for shipping the package domestically.  If the seller has 'free' shipping, the total international cost will seem lower but in reality, that means that at least some of the shipping cost is buried in with cost of the item.  If you want to see what the seller is charging, go to the shipping and payments tab, change country to US and enter zip 60611. Then click on get rates.  I don't know the zip code to the consolidation center but it is in Illinois so that zip will give you a close price of what the seller would be charging to the shipping center.

There may still be some glitches in the program but for the most parts, I'm seeing prices for light items that are comparable or even a bit less than first class international. 

The shipping rates are about half way down the page...

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-international-shipping

@tumutumu wrote:

I've been a regular eBay buyer (never a seller) for over 20 years. We lived in the US  for over 15 years, and when we moved to Canada several years ago, I was happy to pay what seemed like reasonable charges to have items from US sellers delivered. As of last fall's  implementation of the new eBay "International Shipping" policy, even small, light  clothing items frequently ship with charges as high as $60 and more. I simply refuse to pay that much to have a $25 item shipped as I suspect much of the profit from these transactions is going into eBay's pocket. I have tried negotiating with individual sellers to arrange lower shipping rates, but I find they often refuse or ignore me. I get that--it's a lot of trouble to change shipping arrangements for just a few items. Does anyone know of a route for appealing this change to eBay? Am I alone in finding this change unreasonable? My only recourse here is to stop supporting eBay sellers, and I really don't want to do that...

Another way of looking at this would be that when the seller is in charge of the shipping they are more in control. They know what the item is. What it will need to be packed. What "potential" services could be chosen.

Throw it in the hands of eBay(a 3rd party) and less concern about the best rate. It's all being done by bots that really know little about the actual iten. Maybe it's all approximated/guesstimated? But is it truly accurate? There is no flexibility for using A, B or C services. Just the 1 specific service. The one eBay chooses to use.

All I am saying is once eBay got involved with this part of the process, the buying experience for many buyers(Canadian & possibly foreign) became not such a good thing. We've seen the reports of transactions going off the rails...For years. From many a buyers perspective all they want is the item they are looking for in a timely, economical method. That is no longer a possible option or becoming less so as days go by. Leaving buyers little choice but to go elsewhere. Not sure how this is really helpful, in the scheme of things!!!

-Lotz

I and many other Canadian have been seeing and reporting crazy high shipping for low value items for several years. It's come to the point where it is more the norm vs a blip. You find something you are interested in, you see see the crazy shipping cost. You message the seller explaining your interest and bulk of the time either no response or it is what is. We can't change the shipping. Something screwy in Muldova!!

Previous similar type variation I have found in the past and still find from time to time, sellers being shady with their actual location. You will find amongst their listings that state a portion of their items are located in Canada. When you do more research turns out the seller is based in China. Confirmed by the number of negs/neutral feedbacks Past buyers) explaining item was shipped from China and/or seller shipping and tracking does not work or is a duplicate. Item never arrived. Seller will message asking buyer to wait. 

You must either be a part of the new international shipping program or opt out of it, which is what I made the decision to do. Opting in and out is not a viable option when international buyers want me to shipo internationally. Unfortunately the folks at Ebay have become even bigger pigs of the past few years - profits over people - and I am experimanting with other online venues so I can get stop sellling on their platform.  It started off as a great place to sell but ihas become another corporate rip off.

Am I glad to have found this post!

I agree 100% with you.  In the past weeks, I've been shocked to see shipping charges jump to 50-60$CAN for almost everything, from every seller I browse.  And mostly for small or medium items, not very heavy.

I was about to buy another item I've purchased on January 26 for 6.99$US + 14.10$US shipping, but the cost is now 6.99$US + 39.74$US shipping.  That's insane!

Last week I received an offer for an item I was watching.  The price was indeed a deal, but shipping was 67$CAN for a simple pair of pants!  I contacted the seller and he answered me: "Hi, I unfortunately don’t have control over the shipping rates internationally. My price is $8.99, the extra charge is from international. It won’t let me lower it either."

I can't spend my days contacting US sellers to explain that eBay changed their shipping charges, possibly without them noticing, and that they should adjust them or risk losing sales from Canadian buyers.  For now, I don't see eBay International Shipping as being good for Canadian buyers.

But how can we alert eBay that their new system is hurting them?  I don't think that chatting with a customer service agent will change a lot.  I've been buying on eBay for 17 years, but if nothing changes, I'll just leave and go buy elsewhere.  And that's sad...

I suspect that several years ago there was a smaller percentage of USA sellers using the then GSP,  as compared to the most likely way higher percentage of USA sellers that now engage in what is becoming the preferred method of shipping as it removes much of the burden of the shipping risks for those USA sellers.

The bottom line is that it is still the buyer's choice as to making purchases from USA sellers who use shipping methods other than USPS. No one is forcing buyers to purchase from those sellers...and it certainly is not a buyer's place to tell eBay or its sellers what they can and cannot use for the shipping method.

Buyers have choices just as sellers do...

Like you, I have been an eBay "buyer" not seller, for many years. The cost of shipping from the USA to Canada has made buying item from USA sellers unresonable. However, I have had some luck with a few sellers working with me regarding shipping costs. It has been my experience that many "sellers" will not ship to Canada or will stick with the unreasonable shipping fees.

I live in a border city and have a shipping depot, similar to USPS, in the USA that I have parcels delivered to. There is a small charge of $5 per package but most items are free delivery or significanly lower shipping cost to me. 

Ebay is burning people and they use trolls to patch up the leaks here on the forum

Howdy- I hear ya... 

I've noticed that the new 'eBay International Shipping' charges are between $10-15 USD higher than the old GSP programme.

I purchased an item in Nov'r 2022, and was charged $24.70 USD to ship to me here (GSP). The same item today, is $35.31 USD.

Is this because of the increase in prices generally, or has the Bay dropped the ball on this as well?

... Wasn't this new programme touted as a cheaper alternative to the GSP?

eBay keeps the shipping secret. I ordered from a USA seller and shipping stated USPS international. I thought this was OK, but also a bit expensive but the goods were reasonably priced so went ahead with it. USPS to Canada is about 7 - 10 days.

Following the tracking I find the goods got handed over to eBay's SLOW !!! shipping service, with POOR tracking. It took about 3 - 4 weeks on the parcel to arrive.

SOLUTION: I am closing my eBay account as to Canada it is overpriced and under valued.

@pjcdn2005 

said :

But I have seen first hand that sellers using the new program show a really high shipping cost if they don't use the package's weight and dimensions in the listing.

So would it be likely that the new international shipping program does not play nicely with Flat Rate Shipping?

Listings with Calculated Shipping should be fine since those have to include weight and dimensions.

devon@ebay 

@pjcdn2005 

See response: @mrdutch1001  "Worldly visibility".  There are limited other reasons for listing 100 + items worth 10.00 to 20.00 with 100.00 USD shipping to Canada. Only 1 I have a heard on occasion is as a placeholder for out of stock. This is not the case here because shipping within the USA is either free or marginal on those same items.

-Lotz

charges as high as $60 and more. I simply refuse to pay that much to have a $25 item shipped

Perfectly reasonable

as I suspect much of the profit from these transactions is going into eBay's pocket.

No.

The seller charges and gets the shipping fees. EBay does get a fee (12.9%) on that fee, but not the money itself which goes mostly to the shiping carrier.

I have tried negotiating with individual sellers to arrange lower shipping rates, but I find they often refuse

Many sellers have learned that a request for lower shipping charges is part of a scam to remove expensive tracking costs.

Tracking is often the only Seller Protection against false  Not Received claims.

This might be helpful:

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Note that the highest priced shipping rate is at the top of the list of services.

Note also that the weight and dimensions of the parcel are used, but not the value of the contents.

You could try asking the seller if they would consider using FirstClass International Parcel for shipping,which is the cheapest service, and includes the all-important tracking.

If you do, point out the TRACKING which is what they want.

Buyers were complaining about what they felt were high GSP charges, although the GSP charge included Canadian duty and sales taxes.

The new International Shipping does not include those.

While this is unimportant for US imports where the duty free allowance is now $150 and the tax free allowance is now $40, on higher value imports it could be a shock on the doorstep when the carrier demands more money before releasing the item.