Seller threatening me after I received an item different from the description

d999ma-2
Community Member
I purchased an item from a seller from USA who has 100% rating. The listing description stated that the item is brand new, sealed and unused. I received the order almost one month after placing the order. However, when I opened the package there was a damaged postal packing inside the box and the box had no seal. They seemed used and old, with only one earpiece working, other wasn’t working. I checked the serial number on each ear piece and it was different from the one on the box. I reported this to seller and he started threatening me and blaming me that I am lying. He threatened that he will make my life hell, get myself and my family arrested. He threatened he will fly to my place. I talked to the customer agent at ebay over the chat and they told me to wait a few days, if the seller don’t provide return label, ebay will step in. I right away reported the threats and the fraud to my local police. He sent me like 10-15 messages blaming and threatening me. What else should I do?
Will I be able to recover my lost money or am I out of luck?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Okay you're dealing with a madman.

You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee .

From the original listing, open a Dispute for Not As Described.

The seller will be told to send you return shipping.

(He can purchase a Canada Post shipping label through Shippo. )

If he refuses, you get your money back.

If he send return shipping, as a label or through Paypal, you send it back promptly. When it is delivered, you get your money back.

After that, use Report on the original transaction or on the Dispute to explain the threats.

There is no reason to read his Messages.

Don't delete them, while the Dispute is going on. But do put them into a file until you don't need them any more.

Remember he is many many miles away and across a border that is not quite open.

He's not going to show up on your doorstep with a tireiron and a friend named Moose.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

You can't just throw it away and get your money back at this point...you have to follow the money back guarantee ruless. As the other poster suggested, open a return request stating that the reason was that the item was not as described or damaged...something along that line. Regardles of what the seller then wants to do, they are required to either refund  you or pay for a shipping label so that you can return it.  eBay can only issue returns labels for returns within the US but they will require the seller to either send you a shipping label or the money for a shipping label. You can figure out how much the shipping will be via Canada Post. If the package is under 2 kg. you can use Tracked Packet USA. If it heavier than that it would have to be sent Expedited Parcel US. It will take a little effort on your part but since ebay has no way of knowing the actual condition of the item when you received it, it is up to the seller whether or not they want it back or to refund with a return.

If the seller refuses to send money for a label or send a label, you will have to contact ebay to let them know. If that happens the seller will be forced to refund without a return.

Should I go ahead and drop the return at fedex or should I confirm with fedex first if the tracking number will provide me updates when the package crosses border and gets delivered?

Yes.

You want Proof of Delivery.

If the item is high value  (eBay considers $650 high value) you also need Signature Confirmation of Delivery. You may want to pay for that  anyway, as insurance.

With any luck your  crazy Seller has sobered up.

marnotom!
Community Member

It is possible that because the item was handled by the GSP, a less than ethical employee of the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky may have pulled a switcheroo.  If we had known at the beginning that your item had been handled by the GSP our advice may have been a bit different since sellers are relieved of their responsibility for the item's safe delivery once it reaches the Global Shipping Center.

Having said that, your seller's attitude and customer service isn't making them look very good here so I can't 100% entertain the notion that he's got nothing to do with this situation.

The seller's original shipment shows shipping from their location to Kentucky because the Global Shipping Program is a forwarding service.  The seller sent it to Kentucky, other carriers sent it from Kentucky to your location.

If it's likely that loss or damage occurred to the shipment after it reached Kentucky, the GSP is supposed to take responsibility for it.  Unfortunately, it is unclear how the dud merchandise was sent to you.

As far as your concerns about the mailing label are concerned, I don't have enough information to figure out if it would work for a shipment from Canada to the US.  I hope you have an actual FedEx shipping office nearby and not a FedEx agent staffed by non-FedEx employees who may not be very familiar with how this sort of thing works.

d999ma-2
Community Member
This seller started calling and texting on my phone and started abusing me and saying racist words.