What to do with lost package that was delivered?

I bought two Blu-rays for a family member from the US.

The items were sent in one package tracked from the USA. Instead of being sent to Canada to me, the international courier ships it to Australia. This is when the updates stop. Time goes by and nothing. I file for an item not received. 

Seller refunds me but asks if the parcel turns up to refuse accepting it. It'll then be shipped back to the seller.

I'm at work when the package is arrives at my home via Canada Post. Instead of a straight delivery someone at my home ends up paying $22.00 to CP because CP delivered it Xpress Post. I believe I was charged for the screw up.

I've already replaced the items by buying from another seller. How do I return the parcel and get my money back from Canada Post?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Xpresspost should have nothing to do with the $22

Canada Post would be collecting sales tax on the import plus the processing fee of $9.95

If you can still contact the original seller, you could to sell it back to him for $22 plus shipping cost.

-;-

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marnotom!
Community Member

This sounds like a follow-up to this thread:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Question-as-a-buyer-about-possible-lost-shipment/td-p/470...

Unless the Blu-rays were valued at over C$100, I doubt that C$22 charge is strictly from Canada Post and CBSA.  UPS probably has something to do with it, too, as you state in your other thread that UPS Mail Innovations handled the shipment.  In an attempt to mitigate the costs involved in shipping to Australia and then to Canada, UPS may have charged Canada Post to get the Blu-rays to you once they were on Canadian soil or indicated that it was a COD shipment.

I'm not crazy about the idea of the seller buying the Blu-rays back as they've already given a refund for the shipment, but as I don't know for sure what this $22 charge was for I don't know how this should be handled by you and the seller, either.

You two might be best just calling it quits with you selling the Blu-rays yourself and giving the seller some of the proceeds.

Contact the seller and explain what happened.

Ask for the cost of return shipping.

You can have it sent to your Paypal account and because you have been in a transaction with the seller, you can give him your PP email address. (Managed Payments, which as a buyer you don't have to worry about, does not affect this.

You can get the $22 back by contacting CBSA and showing that the imported goods were returned to the sender. 

Umm- no. You can get the CBSA charge back. $9.95 is Canada Post's service charge and non-refundable.

Explain to the seller that while refusing the parcel might work, international returns are very low on the postal system's priority list and he might not see the refused goods for months, if not years.

And of course, refusing the parcel would not get your import fees back.

This is a situation that calls for patience and civility.