The COVID-19 situation changes very quickly.

We must pay attention to what is happening ......

(1) The Canada-US Border --- not closed ... yet......  Access allowed to a limited number of people  travel to or from Canada... Trudeau and Trump agree, so far

(2) The USPS postal service --- The Mayor of San Jose California has closed the USPS outlets

If you want information  do a search including COVID-19  and the topic of concern --- and read more...

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

BC is not happy with the fact that the Canada-US border has not been closed

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Even if it were to close, the mail would still get through. Mail is an essential service. Service could be delayed and spotty in certain areas, but i don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as when there was job action just over a year ago...
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Knowing how territorial the various levels of government in the USA are I am surprised that a Mayor would have the authority to close USPS outlets. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

And there are reports that USPS has agreements with the US armed forces to help with mail delivery if there is a manpower shortage.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@strange*highways wrote:

Knowing how territorial the various levels of government in the USA are I am surprised that a Mayor would have the authority to close USPS outlets. 

The USPS posted a statement today  which mentions the post office is an essential service provided at the federal level. I suspect that was a response.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/ 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

That last link  about USPS appears to have been removed.

Page or File not found.....

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/

looks like there is some invisible garbage at the end of my previous link attempt.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Has anything been said in regards to packages placed on hold?

The current hold time for pick-up is 14 days? So anyone in self-isolation would not be able to pick-up a package. Will the package be returned? Will they extend the hold time? And if there is a closure at one end and not another what happens to the package then?

Also is eBay doing anything in regards to any sellers in self-isolation or that experience a COVID related shipping delay? Sellers should not have to worry about penalties if they cannot currently ship an item due to issues outside their control? 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

The Canada-US Border will be closed to non-essential traffic.

Essential traffic... food and medical supplies

How will mail be classified?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

The Canada-US Border will be closed to non-essential traffic.

Essential traffic... food and medical supplies

How will mail be classified?

Travellers will no longer be able to cross the border for recreational and tourism purposes.

Transport of goods (including mail) will still be allowed.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Exactly.

They say the border is available for "Trade" but what qualifies as trade? 

eBay cannot require someone in self-isolation to ship an item or penalize them for their current situation. COVID is beyond the sellers/buyers control. Please offer moratoriums (Annual Subscription) for people directly affected by COVID. Cross-border sellers may be required to pull their listing at no fault of their own.

Is eBay ready to address this? As a courier I should not be required to venture into New York State - the most infected state in the US to post someone a non-essential purchase. And I should not be required to post locally if self-isolation measures are in effect. I am a direct care-giver of people who are at a higher risk due to age.  If I travel to New York State under Commercial am I covered to return? When I return I am obliged to be placed under a 14 day quarantine. 

While my business is essential to my life and my quality of life. Everyone needs to work together here to get things under control.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

They say the border is available for "Trade" but what qualifies as trade?

It means the movement of goods. That would include goods sent via the post office and private carriers.

The stopping of goods crossing the border would be cataclysmic economically for both sides.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

A bigger risk for us is going to be if (when) someone in one of the Canada Post processing centres is diagnosed. That can have a large impact depending on how they react and what they shut down for how long.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Or the eventuality of individual carriers getting sick or on 14 day quarantines. As this was unforeseen event, do they have access to trained replacements? Maybe eventually reduced delivery schedules are on the horizon? I usually check my community mailbox daily. Routinely I get some sort of junk mail  or a bill  daily. Nothing since Friday. Not sure if this is a blip or the new normal abnormal?

-Lotz

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Companies will be pulling advertising as they are able. Much of what you get in your mailbox today was "started" weeks ago, that's how weird things like toilet paper being on sale at Costco whilst it is on a run happens, the advertising pamphlets, paper ads etc are done weeks before we see them.

Once the "stoppage" of new ads rolls through, we'll see it all drop off until companies know what's happening and what they can do.

I'm still hearing ads on my radio station for stuff that is closed this morning, so everything is trying to keep up with how fast things are moving! (including me!!!)

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

That makes sense on the advertizing. I truly can live without another ad for Bathfitters, new windows and fridge magnet for my local dentist(sssss). But bills? Yikes!!! Mostly I go for the fresh air.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Fresh air??? Maybe not!
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

For those sellers that rely on Staples for their office and shipping supplies.....

https://manage.kmail-lists.com/subscriptions/web-view?a=H5Zgkx&c=NwMduA&r=pf3AqhC&m=QvL4r3&k=88c16b6...

Message 20 of 22
latest reply