Why is eBay still allowing participation from Russia and Belarus?

I see that eBay has posted a statement about shipments in/out of Ukraine, but WHY is eBay still allowing any buyers or sellers with IP addresses based in Russia or Belarus to participate in this service? They should be banned effective immediately.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@tom-dakota wrote:

I see that eBay has posted a statement about shipments in/out of Ukraine, but WHY is eBay still allowing any buyers or sellers with IP addresses based in Russia or Belarus to participate in this service? They should be banned effective immediately.

Why should the common folk be banned?

They are not Putin...

...but they suffer under him.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I don’t disagree with you but I also don’t think we just need a universal ban on anything russian without some consideration. I think they will get there but might just need a little time. Plus as said above there are a lot of good people in Russia who do not support this war so any restrictions should carefully consider how to, if possible, walk this line.

Again, all that said, I agree that they should at least be paused for now
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

A poll suggests that Putin's actions are supported by only 45% of Russians.  As there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming amount of enthusiasm for this war, I think it would be best at this point to leave the decision to buy from or sell to Russia up to individual buyers and sellers.  I don't think there's much for sale on the site that would be of benefit to the Russian war effort, anyway.

Besides, with the transportation network betwen North America and Russia being effectively shut down, how would any purchases being made reach their destination, anyway?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

AKA as a "Catch 22" so there really is no reason to ban anyone on the site.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Agreed. It's unfortunate that so many innocents are caught up in this but eBay absolutely must shut this trade down. It is very doubtful these transactions can be completed.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

44.9  percent if Russians are afraid not to support the government

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Russian buyers are blocked right now.  They have been added to all sellers shipping excluded lists.  

Any listings that I've seen from Russian sellers can't be completed as

all of their 'ship to' locations have been excluded.  

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

No mention of Belarus in any commentary. All Belarusian accounts should be Banned Immediately.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@d-apocalypse 

eBay has blocked all listings from shipping to Russia and Belarus.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I am sure Putin and Lukashenko aren't buying their things from eBay. Banning citizens from these countries who don't have any role in this conflict is absurd.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

arty-9m
Community Member

Saying that a person should be banned (or limited in his rights in any way) solely based on his nationality is called.. what, again? I don't think those who demand those bans are ready to admit to themselves who they really are.

Also banning buyers (not sellers) from Russia and Belarus makes no sense at all since it is eBay and its sellers who are losing money. Russians and belarussians are only saving money and will probably just spend it elsewhere.

It is also unclear what the goal of this is. To make people angry so they "overthrow" their government? This is not how it works in those countries. There are problems far exceeding any western sanctions, and that still didn't manage to make a change.

A better way of dealing with the situation would be to put a tax on russian and belarussian buyers (and probably sellers) which would go towards helping the victims of war.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Really? Why? I don't recall eBay banning any US or UK sales due to the illegal invasions of Iraq or Afghanistan, to name but two such offenses..double standard?
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

What about those Americans and what they did to the native peoples of North America or the Spanish and the South American cultures, or those Germans murdering millions, or the Norse **bleep** and pillaging, how about those Mongolians...

...every single one of us is descended from wars, plagues, and famines.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

The fact that Ukrainian ebayers are asking outrageous prices from dead russians gear and kit is reprehensible. Ebay should be ashamed.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

No way do I want one cent of monies going to the most corrupt nation in Europe, we in the west have been suckered.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

not you, nor anyone else>NO ONE is obliged to look at, search for, or in any way need to be in contact with and/or do ANY business with ANY country, ANY seller/ANY buyer they do not wish to do so: this all can be BLOCKED!

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@kh-leslie 

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2022!

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 19 of 19
latest reply