September 16 2020 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

I'm happy to be back and ready to address your questions! Feel free to drop them below and I'll work on getting answers tomorrow afternoon. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Welcome back tyler! Some of my items (the face masks) will have a new category as per the Fall update. Do I have to manually make the changes or do they move to the new category automatically? Also, if I need to make the changes, when do I do this, now or in October? Thanks!

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Welcome back. Hope no ummm major tropical cruises? I hear lately those can be kinda dangerous. 

Regarding returns, are there any protections for sellers in cases where the item comes back but the buyer didn't package properly and arrives damaged? Also could be a problem where automatic return postage is created by eBay without having the box being used for the return. In some cases a buyer may have disposed of the original box and just uses whatever causing shipping to be even higher and seller being on the hook for the difference.

In the new fall update it mentions moving to a garbled email addresses going forward. Will this garbled email address get posted to a customs invoice as suggested by the postal services as a requirement in cases where there are issues with delivery? Address questions or taxes when applicable. This is why correct information(email/ph. numbers) are attached to ebay accounts. Even more important now during Covid. Currently, atleast with Shippo the email address and phone number DO get posted to customs document for both buyer and seller.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I have noticed lately that for some strange reasons Ebay changes the shipped date by the date my parcels arrived in USA.  Why is that ?  In the past, the shipped date always been the day I dropped off my parcel at my local post office in Canada and then parcel requires 3-4 days before it arrives in New York International Airport.  Will my account be affected for "late shipment" ?  Thanks for your advice.

Jean.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Refund-Return-SquareTrade-Warranty/td-p/445342/

Tyler, can you look into this? I did finally get my warranty registered, but man oh man was it tough. It shouldn't be that tough especially when the seller is not sending out what is promised (email for registration).

Something clearly is falling through the cracks. How do we escalate this? I know eBay heavily promoted Square Trade.
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I asked this on the last chat and you directed me to CS. I called them and well needless to say I have been getting the run around so I'll try asking again because you have always been good at getting answers. 

The issue is I opened a store and can't access it through most methods. On my Seller Hub no links to my store works. Says it doesn't exist. But if I try to access from an actual listing it works fine. I called support, first time they told me I didn't have a store and that I should be on ebay.com... I gave up on that call. Second time I called they said they will 'refresh' the store and try again in 24 hours - that was about 5 days ago. 

It's frustrating to jump through hoops to get at it. Are you able to get someone to take a look?

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Welcome back tyler! Some of my items (the face masks) will have a new category as per the Fall update. Do I have to manually make the changes or do they move to the new category automatically? Also, if I need to make the changes, when do I do this, now or in October? Thanks!

Howdy @msmaggie060 - thanks for the well wishes! It was a really nice time off. 

When it comes to category changes those should happen automatically. If you wanted to manually move them over before then (and if the new category exists already) you could do so. Otherwise we'll handle it for you. 🙂 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

A follow up to your answer to @msmaggie060  . If eBay manually updates should we have to worry about any of the previous information being corrupted in the process?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Welcome back. Hope no ummm major tropical cruises? I hear lately those can be kinda dangerous. 

Regarding returns, are there any protections for sellers in cases where the item comes back but the buyer didn't package properly and arrives damaged? Also could be a problem where automatic return postage is created by eBay without having the box being used for the return. In some cases a buyer may have disposed of the original box and just uses whatever causing shipping to be even higher and seller being on the hook for the difference.

In the new fall update it mentions moving to a garbled email addresses going forward. Will this garbled email address get posted to a customs invoice as suggested by the postal services as a requirement in cases where there are issues with delivery? Address questions or taxes when applicable. This is why correct information(email/ph. numbers) are attached to ebay accounts. Even more important now during Covid. Currently, atleast with Shippo the email address and phone number DO get posted to customs document for both buyer and seller.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - no cruises for me, just some camping well outside of cell range. It was nice to disconnect for a bit. 🙂

When it comes to returns, there are protections available depending on a few things. If you're a Top Rated seller and offer 30 day returns you are able to issue a less than full refund in a situation like you mention (up to 50%). You may also be eligible for a shipping label credit in certain cases. You can read more about this program here

The new email intermediation does mask email addresses, but it acts as a forwarding address to the actual email, so it will still work for the sake of documentation.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@bluekoss wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I have noticed lately that for some strange reasons Ebay changes the shipped date by the date my parcels arrived in USA.  Why is that ?  In the past, the shipped date always been the day I dropped off my parcel at my local post office in Canada and then parcel requires 3-4 days before it arrives in New York International Airport.  Will my account be affected for "late shipment" ?  Thanks for your advice.

Jean.

Hi @bluekoss - that definitely seems odd, do you happen to have an example I can take back to the product teams?

When it comes to Late Shipments, it shouldn't impact your rate. Considering the way that the shipment rate is calculated if you are not using an 'integrated carrier' then those shipments wouldn't be included anyway - so no harm no foul. 

If you wanted to take a more in-depth look at your late shipment rate I suggest contacting CS so they can review your report with you (if there are any late shipments there). Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@retroman_studios wrote:
https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Refund-Return-SquareTrade-Warranty/td-p/445342/

Tyler, can you look into this? I did finally get my warranty registered, but man oh man was it tough. It shouldn't be that tough especially when the seller is not sending out what is promised (email for registration).

Something clearly is falling through the cracks. How do we escalate this? I know eBay heavily promoted Square Trade.

Hi @retroman_studios - I'm sorry that I was gone for this saga! 

To make sure I'm understanding, this was not you trying to file a claim with the warranty, but just to try to get it registered after purchase, correct?

The information I have available on this is limited (most of my resources say to have you contact SquareTrade directly*), but the way it should work is: 

The following takes place after purchasing a warranty:

1. You will receive a confirmation message sent to your My Messages and registered email address.  This message will:
    1. confirm your purchase
    2. Advise you of a future email
    3. Provide you with SquareTrade contact information
  2. The vendor (SquareTrade) will send you a Warranty Care email within 24 hours of purchasing the warranty coverage and provide you with your policy number and service agreement (this will not be seen in My eBay).
  3. Within My eBay, the vendor will populate the tracking number with the Policy number.

It sounds like none of this actually happened, which is what mindboggles me. 

*SquareTrade contact info, for anyone reading this in the future:

SquareTrade on eBay page here

Help Center here

Call SquareTrade at 1-877-WARRANTY.  They are available 24/7

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@ericsells75 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I asked this on the last chat and you directed me to CS. I called them and well needless to say I have been getting the run around so I'll try asking again because you have always been good at getting answers. 

The issue is I opened a store and can't access it through most methods. On my Seller Hub no links to my store works. Says it doesn't exist. But if I try to access from an actual listing it works fine. I called support, first time they told me I didn't have a store and that I should be on ebay.com... I gave up on that call. Second time I called they said they will 'refresh' the store and try again in 24 hours - that was about 5 days ago. 

It's frustrating to jump through hoops to get at it. Are you able to get someone to take a look?

Hi @ericsells75 - sorry that this has continued to be an issue for you. I'll see what I can do from my end to shed some light on this. 

For what it's worth, the links I would go through as a buyer to see your store seem to work as you'd expect, it just seems to be your links (which is extra annoying). 

While I wait for tech to review here are some alternatives:

If you need to manage your store, this link should work.

If you want to visit your storefront, this link should work. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Hi Tyler,
Yes I do have an example below, you see that under "Manage all orders" the shipped date currently shows 15 Sep as "shipped" date but in fact it was dropped off at my local post office on Sep 11th (see tracking history below).  The shipped date only changes when it reaches USA it never did that before.  I currently do not have any late shipment because of that but I will only find out next month during my next evaluation.  This situation does not occur for every parcel only some of them.  And of course, once the item is delivered the shipped date disappears to show the delivered date.  If you click on tracking number, it does show the "Acceptance" date correctly which should be the shipped date as well and it is until it hits USA (New York) then Ebay changes the shipped date for that one under my "Manage all orders" not sure if the buyer can see that info or not.  I can tell you that it never never did that in the past it only started a few days ago.  Thank you.

Under "Manage all orders" Ebay is currently showing:  Shipped Sep 15  

Tracking details
Canada Post tracking #CX644691368CA
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • 4:18pm
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • BETHPAGE, NY 11714
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • 2:45pm
  • BETHPAGE, NY 11714
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • 2:33pm
  • BETHPAGE, NY 11714
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • 5:03am
  • ARRIVED AT INTERNATIONAL SERVICE CENTER
  • ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS), 11430
  • Sep 14, 2020
  • 1:46pm
  • ORIGIN POST IS PREPARING SHIPMENT
  •  
  • Sep 14, 2020
  • 1:46pm
  • FOREIGN INTERNATIONAL DISPATCH
  • MONTREAL, CA
  • Sep 13, 2020
  • 3:16pm
  • FOREIGN ARRIVAL AT OUTWARD OFFICE
  • MONTREAL, CA
  • Sep 11, 2020
  • 3:40pm
  • FOREIGN ACCEPTANCE
  • CA
  • Sep 11, 2020
  • 1:12pm
  • Tracking number provided
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

A follow up to your answer to @msmaggie060  . If eBay manually updates should we have to worry about any of the previous information being corrupted in the process?

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - I can't speak to any unforeseen tech issues, but the process is designed to carry over your listing information entirely. The exception to that would be suggested/required item specifics in the new category that weren't in the older category. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

From the batch of 200 + that I did in August there were numerous listings where it ported incorrect information. Examples included colours. Light Blue became Blue. Numbers. 3.25" became 325". There were others. Just not easy to catch when something is being modified when it was created correctly originally. There have also been many reports of conflicts with clothing. Since those 200 were done, I've also had several come up as re-requiring updating multiple times.

-Lotz

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

Hi I had asked about store selling fee caps on the general board, but figured I'd ask directly - 

I opened a new store Aug 29, listed an item sept 6, and it sold sept 7. I'm looking at my current account activity, and it shows the FVF for that listing as being $350+HST = 395.50.

The cap for Motors is supposed to be $250 according to Store Selling Fees article:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-selling-fees?id=4122

I called CS, and was basically told since the invoice wasn't printed and I'm just looking at the line-item, they can't see exactly what was billed, or do anything about it (yet).

Looking on the .com also, and the US fees appear to be 350(USD) but the store and the item were both on .ca site.. (also 350usd is like 450CAD..) so that should be irrelevant... 

please let me know.. 

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Post and run but: 

Have we had any word about multiple bank accounts on Managed Payment IDs?

Have we had any word on adding American bank accounts to Canadian Managed Payment accounts?

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Another issue that cropped up was Books where it was asking for a Title and/or Author. This would have been included(Inserted) as standard practice with a listing when it was created.

-Lotz
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Yep, just trying to register.

NONE of what you said happens. No messages or email.
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@ericsells75 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Hi @ericsells75 - sorry that this has continued to be an issue for you. I'll see what I can do from my end to shed some light on this. 

For what it's worth, the links I would go through as a buyer to see your store seem to work as you'd expect, it just seems to be your links (which is extra annoying). 

While I wait for tech to review here are some alternatives:

If you need to manage your store, this link should work.

If you want to visit your storefront, this link should work. 

Agreed, the buyer side of things works. Just extra hoops I have to go through to manage my store.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply