Why does one have to pay FedEx rip-off extra "import fees"That surely in CRIMINAL by FedEx !

I am an EBayer for many years. I do NOT agree with this EXTRA "IMPORT FEES" that a seller wishes to charge me via PayPal.

It is a CRIMMINAL charge!

How I wonder may we rid EBay of this ?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Why does one have to pay FedEx rip-off extra "import fees"That surely in CRIMINAL by FedEx !

To learn more about the Global Shipping Program, please take a look at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

"How I wonder may we rid EBay of this ?"

If you do not wish to prepay taxes ("import fees'), simply do NOT buy or bid on listings from American and British sellers offering Global Shipping Program (GSP) in their listings.

The choice is yours.

The program is highly successful from the American sellers perspective (they sell more at no extra charge) but is NOT "buyer friendly" for Canadians.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Actually one way to avoid the FEDEX fees would be to use the Global Shipping Program.

The GSP will tell you how much you will pay in 'import fees' made up of Canadian duty and sales tax plus a $5 or so service fee before you click on Pay.

FedEx won't even tell you on your doorstep, but will bill you after you have signed for the parcel. There is an archived thread even longer than the anti-GSP ones expressing disgust over the tactics and charges of FedEx and UPS.

There are supposed to be duty and tax on any import over $20CDN.

If you don't like it you can wait until October or you can write:

The Honourable Stephen Harper PC

House of Commons

OTTAWA ON K1A 0A6

You don't even need to stamp the envelope.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

WE AND THE YANKS HAVE "FREE TRADE" THERE IS NO DUTY ON GOODS MANUFACTURED IN THE USA OR CANADER !

I HAVE PURCHASED ITEMS FROM US COUSINS AND AXED DEM TO SHIP BY MAIL AND THEY DID. SOMETIMES I PAY CANADA CUSTOMS A $5 FEE BUT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THEY DO NOT ASSESS IT.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

.the " GLOBAL SYSTEM" SO CALLED, IS WHERE THEY DING YOU FOR THAT STUPID "IMPORT" CHARGE.

It is just another way for good old fed ex to nail us for more money. Don't kid yourself, thay are not in business not to make more money"

They have experts figuring this stuff out all the time.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The import fees you pay to FedEx are the same import fees you pay through the Global Shipping Program.

NAFTA only covers items manufactured in the USA, Mexico, Canada and Chile.

Not purchased in those countries manufactured there.

And NAFTA does not affect sales taxes. And unlike duty, sales taxes are charged on used goods too.

Any import valued over $20 CDN (about $16 USD) is supposed to be processed for duty and sales tax. In addition, the shipper is allowed to charge a service fee for doing this. (GSP about $5, Canada Post about $10, most couriers like FedEx about $25 and up).

But the Canadian Border Services Agency have had to good sense to ignore the law, and it is a law, and rarely process imports valued under $100 or so and/or not bulky for the applicable duty AND TAX.

Don't forget those taxes. In some provinces the sales tax is 17% of the item's value.

CBSA has the common sense to realize that there is little point in assessing what the applicable duty and tax will be, if it costs the government more to assess and collect the duty and tax than it is going to collect.

Commercial carriers don't have that luxury. They have to obey the law. And they cover the cost of collecting with that $25 ~ service charge.

Which is why the GSP can be cheaper. On a conveyor belt, in a low wage state, the service charge is one fifth or less than other couriers.

The GSP is still a bad program and Canadians should try to avoid US and UK sellers using it for items valued under $100DCN.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Fedex is not involved in the the global shipping program as far as I know.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Fedex is not involved in the the global shipping program as far as I know

Not to Canada, at all. To Australia and the far East they seem to be the main carrier.

Canada is unique in having the final delivery or GSP items by a postal service or national parcel service.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply