15 weeks without payouts keeps on failing - USD payments to Canadian Bank Account

I am a Canadian ebay seller with an ebay.com seller account that has been selling on ebay for mover 10 years. I am reaching out to you via Facebook due to a complete failure of your customer service team to resolve a very serious problem with my managed payments.

I have not been receiving any payments from ebay since late November 2023 and ebay currently owes me a very large amount of cash.(I currently sell about 5k US each month) . I have reached out multiple times to the ebay customer service via phone and no one is resolving the issue. Managed payments worked just fine prior to late November and all of the sudden they stopped coming into my bank account in Canada in November.

On the ebay app, on a daily basis, I get dozens of messages that say ‘’we sent your payout’’, ‘’we’re resending your payout’’ ‘’your payout did not go through’’. For the pas 15 weeks, not a single payout has reached my bank account.

The first time I reached out to your customer service team they told me that the problem was with my bank account with Desjardins here in Canada and they had me re-enter my bank account info on ebay. This is a bank account I have been using ever since eBay switched to management payments in 2021 with no problems prior to Noveber 2023. I verified my account with my bank and everything is current and perfect on their end. I also regularly receive payments to this account from other entities located in the US and everything works flawlessly. The problem only lies with the eBay managed payments. The problem is with ebay and/or Adyen.

I started calling the ebay customer reps every two weeks, starting in January. Each time they tell me they are ‘’elevating’’ the case and nothing is resolved. I still have not receive any money whatsoever from ebay for over 15 weeks, yet I still sell items every week and ship my items out as usual to keep my customers happy. The last time I called the customer service center on March 8th, I managed to speak to a manager I believe is named ‘’Ronny’’ who said he understood how serious this problem is, he confirmed that my bank account was good and verified with ebay and that he was going to look into this and get back to me.

It is now March 16th and I have not heard back from ebay (unsurprising) since then. I have completely lost faith in the customer service center and I am beginning to lose the trust and the faith I had towards ebay for such a long time. Over the years as a seller I have paid tens of thousands of dollars in ebay fees and I feel like this issue should be taken more seriously by ebay. This situation is unacceptable. As a loyal seller who strives to provide a good service to his customers and make ebay a better place for all it pains me see that I am just another unimportant number to ebay. Ebay’s failure to resolve this managed payment issue has put me under serious economic hardship and I will soon have to stop selling on ebay if the money that is owed to me does not get sent soon.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

15 weeks without payouts keeps on failing - USD payments to Canadian Bank Account

Is this a copy of what you sent to eBay customer service on Facebook?

That would be really frustrating and maddening especially since the bank account was working up until November.

I just saw on your other thread that FB did not help you.  I'm not sure what to suggest.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@montrealcycleparts wrote:

I am a Canadian ebay seller with an ebay.com seller account that has been selling on ebay for mover 10 years. I am reaching out to you via Facebook due to a complete failure of your customer service team to resolve a very serious problem with my managed payments.

I have not been receiving any payments from ebay since late November 2023 and ebay currently owes me a very large amount of cash.(I currently sell about 5k US each month) . I have reached out multiple times to the ebay customer service via phone and no one is resolving the issue. Managed payments worked just fine prior to late November and all of the sudden they stopped coming into my bank account in Canada in November.

On the ebay app, on a daily basis, I get dozens of messages that say ‘’we sent your payout’’, ‘’we’re resending your payout’’ ‘’your payout did not go through’’. For the pas 15 weeks, not a single payout has reached my bank account.

The first time I reached out to your customer service team they told me that the problem was with my bank account with Desjardins here in Canada and they had me re-enter my bank account info on ebay. This is a bank account I have been using ever since eBay switched to management payments in 2021 with no problems prior to Noveber 2023. I verified my account with my bank and everything is current and perfect on their end. I also regularly receive payments to this account from other entities located in the US and everything works flawlessly. The problem only lies with the eBay managed payments. The problem is with ebay and/or Adyen.

I started calling the ebay customer reps every two weeks, starting in January. Each time they tell me they are ‘’elevating’’ the case and nothing is resolved. I still have not receive any money whatsoever from ebay for over 15 weeks, yet I still sell items every week and ship my items out as usual to keep my customers happy. The last time I called the customer service center on March 8th, I managed to speak to a manager I believe is named ‘’Ronny’’ who said he understood how serious this problem is, he confirmed that my bank account was good and verified with ebay and that he was going to look into this and get back to me.

It is now March 16th and I have not heard back from ebay (unsurprising) since then. I have completely lost faith in the customer service center and I am beginning to lose the trust and the faith I had towards ebay for such a long time. Over the years as a seller I have paid tens of thousands of dollars in ebay fees and I feel like this issue should be taken more seriously by ebay. This situation is unacceptable. As a loyal seller who strives to provide a good service to his customers and make ebay a better place for all it pains me see that I am just another unimportant number to ebay. Ebay’s failure to resolve this managed payment issue has put me under serious economic hardship and I will soon have to stop selling on ebay if the money that is owed to me does not get sent soon.

Can one of you help him with this?

devon@ebay 

luke@ebay 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

What sort of Desjardins account do you have attached to your Managed Payments account?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Common problems:

Slight differences in names.

If your name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith, you cannot have a bank account as J J  Jingleheimer Smith , a Managed Payment account as John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith, and an eBay account as JJJ Smith.

Using micropayments to confirm identity

This might be due to currency fluctuations.

Tangerine accounts.

The bank doesn't play well with eBay

Using a savings account rather than a chequing account

Using a US bank rather than a Canadian one with a US dollar account.

Never bother with the phone clerks. They don't get an eBay paycheque.

Social media at least gives you a transcript.

And they will phone you back.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Yes it is a copy of what I sent them.

I called the CS and they "eleveated" my case once again. (rolleyes)

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

"US Dollar Build-Up Savings Account"   is the exact name of the account. I have been using this account for ebay since 2021 with no issues until nov 2023.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I see you are a Canadian seller. What is the exact type of account you use and with what bank?

I have been unsing a "US Dollar Build-Up Savings Account2 from Desjardins since 2021 with no issues until nov 2023.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

If you sell approximately $5K US a month, maybe the original trigger was if you had a few large ticket items sold within one of your scheduled payout days holds are placed even for long time sellers if the money is over a certain amount. The more items added/sold would make it even higher so something was defaulting to put it on hold. If you've dealt with this same bank for a couple of years one would think it should work although sometimes, randomly, something is changed by eBay but this is the first time I've heard anyone having trouble with Desjardins so it may more likely be the large amounts (especially if that $5K a month had been continuing a few months while you hoped it was straighted out).

I would have thought with all the "escalations" from customer service it would have come through whatever the cause after almost 4 months, so do keep us posted, would love to know the answer you finally get, and that you get paid soon of course!

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

"US Dollar Build-Up Savings Account"   is the exact name of the account. I have been using this account for ebay since 2021 with no issues until nov 2023.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is the crux of your issues.  For whatever reason, Adyen requires a chequing/checking account for Managed Payments deposits, not a savings account, and from what I can see, Desjardins doesn't offer US Dollar checking accounts.

At any point when dealing with customer service, did you tell them that you were using a US dollar savings account?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I used to sell for 7-8-9K/mo in 2021 so I dont see how a measely 5K/mo would be an issue today. Can you let me know what banking solution you use for ebay? Do you have an ebay.com account?

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

It worked perfectly for over 2 years befaire the payout started to fail. What difference does it make really? I have a checkbook for this acocunt and it has the same capabilities as a chequing account. I receive US wires from other US entities flawlessly last month.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I used to sell for 7-8-9K/mo in 2021 so I dont see how a measely 5K/mo would be an issue today. Can you let me know what banking solution you use for ebay? Do you have an ebay.com account?

I use CIBC and have had no issues ever. While I don't have a US funds account I know they do have USA Smart Account.  I originally had a .com account way back when I started selling here in 2013 as I wasn't even aware there was .ca.  It was easy-peasy back then, all listings were in US dollars and payment went into PayPal where they did the currency exchange. 

I can't remember what year they made the change where they started reaching out to all Canadian sellers to try and get them to move to the .ca site - I originally thought it was mandatory but it was not the case. (I did mainly because of the calculated shipping which could not be done from .com for Canadian sellers).

I've only sold from Canada site for many years now, so I can't address the US funds to US savings account in Canada issue.

Maybe someone out in the community here uses Desjardins, they would be able to shed the best light. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

It worked perfectly for over 2 years befaire the payout started to fail. What difference does it make really? I have a checkbook for this acocunt and it has the same capabilities as a chequing account.

I'm reminded of episodes of TV shows that deal with commercial or passenger aircraft disasters.  Sometimes what causes the crash is a repair or modification to the aircraft that was improperly made many months or even years ago.  The airplane kept flying "perfectly" until something happened that exposed the weakness in the repair and the plane went down.

Your account certainly seems to have chequing capabilities, as noted on this page, but it may be that there's some setting on Adyen's or Desjardins' end that's now causing your account to be identified differently.  As you say, there probably shouldn't be any difference, but for whatever reason there is.

I receive US wires from other US entities flawlessly last month.

You've mentioned "wires" from US sources before.  Are you actually receiving wire transfers from these sources, or direct deposits?  Adyen uses direct deposits for payments to Canadian dollar accounts, but I'm not sure if it's the same for US dollar accounts.   I doubt Adyen makes wire transfers but I'm just guessing here.  What do your account statements for your successful deposits indicate?

Having said all that, if you like dealing with caisses populaires for your business, you may have to add an account from a credit union to comply with eBay and Adyen's requirements.  I don't know if you're able to become a member of the Ontario credit union network Meridian, but it offers a US dollar chequing account that's labelled as such.  A possibly better option would be Coast Capital, which is a federal credit union based in British Columbia.  It also offers a US dollar chequing account.  The possible downside if you prefer dealing with humans face-to-face is that all your customer service would have to be handled by email or telephone.

At any rate, if you're still dealing with eBay/Adyen customer service on this, do let them know that your account does have chequing capabilities, even if it's marketed as a savings account.  This may be the key to solving the mystery.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Adyen requires a chequing/checking account for Managed Payments deposits, not a savings account,

That would be it.

Since you are also giving permission to eBay to take shortages from the account, this would be easier with a chequing account than with a savings account.

Did you have a refund that had to wait because MP/Ayden/ eBay could not access your savings account and had to wait after refunding the buyer?

Most good sellers rarely need to refund, so it is quite possible that the problem just never came up during the past several years.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for your help, your theory makes some sense and i will look into that. I just chatted via email with Desjardins and they say my account is a checking account despite being called "savings".  I also verified 4 years of statements and adyen/ebay has never, not once pulled money from my desjardins account. Everytime I have issued a refund, they have just withheld the money from payouts that were incoming.

I am still waiitng on ebay to call me back but I am thinking of opening an account with another bank to try as I getting desperate here.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I'm having the same issue. Approx $1000CAD in MP in limbo. My Bank is RBC chequing, I sell in USD on ebay.com. RBC says they are not even getting the deposits. Ebay says the bank is refusing them. Ebay customer service has been extremely poor and the agents just run through the playbook, tell me it's fixed, then I don't get my payout.

This has been an ongoing issue for years on Ebay. Can any Canadians who have had this fixed chime in?
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@vladimirguerrero wrote:

My Bank is RBC chequing

Is your account with RBC Royal Bank in Canada or RBC Bank in the United States?  What's the exact name of the type of account you have?

@vladimirguerrero wrote:

Ebay customer service has been extremely poor and the agents just run through the playbook, tell me it's fixed, then I don't get my payout.

Are you dealing with eBay customer service by phone or the online chat reps through social media?  Reports suggest that the second option tends to be a bit better.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Check the entire line of numbers on your account . At the bottom of one of your cheques.

We ran into one problem early on where, as I recall, eBay/MP had somehow put the wrong bank identification into the line.

Likely a human typo.

And of course since normally we check the account number and not the bank number....

It was a teller at our branch that spotted that goof.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Problem resolved : I opened a USD “borderless” account with TD bank in Canada and the payouts are now working.
Message 20 of 22
latest reply