Buyers and Sellers & Shopping on eBay since MP

How many of yourselves "members" who are both Buyers and Sellers have changed their "shopping" habits on eBay since we no longer use PP as a "Wallet" with the sales from eBay?

Have you reduced your buying on eBay since the inception of MP and the $$$ going into your bank account?

That could also factor into the lowers sales on the eBay sites.

I need fewer discount Stamps, so the member whom I purchased from on eBay does not get my purchase, and so on and so on.

I think eBay shot themselves in the foot with daily and weekly deposits into our bank account, I use the money for other things...

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hi, yes absolutely I spend way less here without having that money sitting in Paypal to buy more goodies! Now the money that was put into my bank goes towards the bills (not nearly as much fun but probably the right thing to do!) If I do buy here I put it on a credit card...that in turn gets paid (as one of my bills!) but way less purchases for sure.

The other factor for me spending less is it's been way harder to find stuff since the change of categories (arghhh!)

It's okay if you're looking for something very specific but if you just want to browse in something somewhat general (say vintage Barbie lot) in case something catches your eye, you got to have a few hours/weeks to spare!

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I started selling on eBay in January 2003.  It was auction sales, only,  and in US dollars on eBay.com..... There was no eBay Canada

Today it is Managed Payments,  GTC in Canadian dollars on eBay Canada.

I have been through many changes on eBay.   

I  ..... always ..... made the appropriate adjustment....to the change.

and then ... If I wanted to buy something listed on eBay.... I knew what to do

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I rarely buy on eBay, being in my downsizing years, but when I do I just use my credit card to have double Buyer Protection.

Mostly I buy books and shipping supplies.

I think there are a lot more buyers who have never sold and who never will sell, than there are sellers who buy more than occasionally.

It's a self-selected group. You tend to like what your friends like, so it is difficult to understand that, for instance, there are Canadians who don't watch hockey, who voted for the PPP, who don't want their kids to go to university, who prefer to rent, because you have never met anyone with those opinions. We all live in echo chambers.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Many years ago was both buyer & seller on eBay, but haven't puchased anything on eBay for years...

at my age just don't have any "needs"; whereas de-cluttering/downsizing is a priority, so I continue to sell on a variety of selling venues...

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

We are all here for different reasons and there have been many changes as you say.

I've only been here for about 8 years. My mid-life crisis was finding and buying toys from my childhood.

With a lack of self control I over bought and found this a great venue to recoup some of my money and buy more stuff (not proud of it but what the heck else am I going to do?!) I'm selling here mainly to support my collecting habit, so I am one of those both buy and sell types.

I don't know if this link will work but I love this Weird Al Yankovic eBay song....he may have made it years back but I can still relate!

https://youtu.be/YKtlK7sn0JQ

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

sounds exactly like my story (re: mid-life crisis)

as for the OP's question, maybe the lack of USD in my Paypal skewed my purchases in favor of Canadian sellers (on and off eBay) somewhat, but my overall $$$ purchases on eBay have not decreased.

I think that whole no Paypal = fewer purchases is a whole load of crap from the perspective of a seller, most of my sales are (and have always been) outside Canada, very few sales to fellow Canadians before or after managed payments in both Collectibles and eBay Motors - Parts & Accessories. Most of my buyers are not active sellers, including in Collectibles (where it would make more sense to buy & sell in your hobby).

I believe that most buyers are net buyers and most sellers are net sellers, few sellers spend their earnings back onto eBay, that's a myth.

The one factor that would definitely favor more eBay purchases from my perspective is that ridiculous $20 per diem duties/taxes limit on imports, I would be buying much more often and in bigger $ amounts if we had higher limits like our fellow American neighbours (US$800 per diem). 

You're running movies in your head if you think managed payments has any impact on your sales.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

"I think there are a lot more buyers who have never sold and who never will sell, than there are sellers who buy more than occasionally."

100% right

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@parts_and_diecasts wrote:

The one factor that would definitely favor more eBay purchases from my perspective is that ridiculous $20 per diem duties/taxes limit on imports, I would be buying much more often and in bigger $ amounts if we had higher limits like our fellow American neighbours (US$800 per diem). 

The US$800 de minimis only applies to duty.  Most US states (and even cities) now have some sort of internet tax that eBay has to tack onto purchases and on which sellers have to pay FVF.

The de minimis we have in Canada now depends on whether the item is sent by mail or courier and whether or not it originates from a CUSMA country.  For items transported by courier rather than mail from the US or Mexico, the tax-free limit is now C$40 and the duty-free limit is C$150.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn20-18-eng.html

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I would be buying much more often and in bigger $ amounts if we had higher limits like our fellow American neighbours (US$800 per diem). 

I'm surprised we don't have more complaints about duty and taxes from buyers.

Most of the fury about the GSP disappeared with the new NAFTA $150 duty-free allowance, switching to transit time, although all forms of transit have gotten slower over the past year. I blame DeJoy.

But postal deliveries remain at $20 duty-free from elsewhere and courier deliveries at $40 duty-free, and we haven't seen complaints about that.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

But postal deliveries remain at $20 duty-free from elsewhere and courier deliveries at $40 duty-free, and we haven't seen complaints about that.

Courier deliveries have a duty-free threshold of $150.  The $40 threshold applies to taxes.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Only if they are coming from the USA or Mexico.

If they are coming from China, the duty free is still $20 as I understand it.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

"change of categories" don't even get me started on that fiasco, what a mess when searching...

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Do I spend a lot less here than I used to since I don't have payments in US$ in PayPal anymore? Yes. I completely stopped buying here.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@brettjet38 

When I had readily available access to my funds with PayPal I would purchase routinely on eBay. Now, not so much.  As for the number of US sellers who are unable to offer any sort of reasonable shipping options to Canada and instead go directly to GSP or Intl. Standard in a heartbeat, that is definitely not helping. When you purchase from a Canadian seller you usually know what you are up against because the available options are easy to confirm.

As for the loss of eBucks that plays a small part. I purchase when I need to, not when eBay tells me I should.

Are these factors along with the non-stop tinkering to search playing a part in sellers current traffic/sales? Most likely!!

-Lotz

I guess if you are looking for free Intl shipping you can find a few listings.  If you look hard enough. 

Set Of 2 Starbucks Cherry Blossom Sakura Day & Night Ceramic Tumbler To Go Mug there is a set available from Thailand for 950 USD with free shipping. Estimated between Tue. Jan. 11 and Wed. Mar. 2

🤣 But mostly the exception vs the rule. That selling price is a bit out of my budget. Might fit yours. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

peakxv
Community Member

Habits have totally changed.  Used to buy 100% on eBay and now that's down to less than  10%. Put this way whomever designed the new business model was not, as we say in Canada, playing with a full .......  MBA.  

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Looks like the potty mouth's mummy  has  sent him to bed without his supper. 

Now we just hope the mods can clean up the Boards before Friday.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

SAYONARA......To buying and selling on Ebay.      Cheers

Message 18 of 18
latest reply