Identity confirmation?

A couple of days ago I logged into my PP acct.  When inside, there was a notification open on the right side of the screen with this message:

Before you can complete any transactions, you need to verify that you're the account holder. Please visit the Identity Confirmation Dashboard to find out what information we need. 

First, I checked the URL, it was not a scammer's link.

When I clicked on the link, this was next:

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Identity confirmation?

What type of paypal account do you have?  Personal or Merchant?

Not enough info asked for you to get hacked.  I followed your link and paypal already has most of the data for my personal account (they just want it prioritized).

PayPal does report accounts to Revenue Canada that do over a certain volume of business.

You probably can ignore the request for now.

-..-

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

I have a personal PP acct.

Do you know what the $ amount is that causes PP to talk to CRA? I've always been a pretty small fish on ebay, and over the past year or two, my sales have tanked to less than half of what it was.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

Just noticed it today, says its CRA required, from personal to corporate level information requirements.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

CRA was requesting for all info on PayPal business accounts from Jan/2014- Nov/2017 a few years ago. They may be digging into personal PayPal accounts now.

I didn't see any request for personal info in my PayPal account today probably because PayPal already forwarded my business account info for the years mentioned above.  

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-money/paypal-ordered-to-provide...

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

Moral of the story - Update your paypal  business and personal info if you havent checked it lately. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

We got hit by this on our USA paypal account that we have had and have used for almost a decade. They are demanding scans of id with the USA address, scans of an address document like a lease or utility bill under 6 months old and a scan of a valid USA SSN card. The account is frozen with money in it and they will not give it back. Last put money into it may 29, 2019 and bought 2 items the same day.

Obviously we cannot supply any of these things as we are in Canada and only use a parcel service in north dakota to receive items that either will not ship to Canada or from idiots that want like $100 to ship a feather to Canada.

Spent over 5 hours on the phone with them since june 1, 2019. They will not budge in any way. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

@maximus7001 wrote:

We got hit by this on our USA paypal account that we have had and have used for almost a decade. They are demanding scans of id with the USA address, scans of an address document like a lease or utility bill under 6 months old and a scan of a valid USA SSN card. The account is frozen with money in it and they will not give it back.

Have you tried giving them with your Canadian address, a Canadian address document and a valid Canadian driver license?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

" Have you tried giving them with your Canadian address, a Canadian address document and a valid Canadian driver license? "

They will not take that. There is no way to enter a postal code in a zip code field. There is no Manitoba in the list of states. My drivers licence is from Canada with an address not in USA.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

ay656
Community Member

Same happened to us a week ago. I provided all the information they asked. After this, the account has been frozen. Now they're phishing for more information - driver licenses, tax returns, credit card statements of all the shareholders. Who knows what they may want next. They keep our money hostage.

IMHO, if you receive such letter, unless you're ready to supply all you private information to PayPal, the best way is to close the account right away. I wish I did that!

Unfortunately, it's too late for us.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2019

The problem with zombie threads is that the advice given may be out of date , incorrect, or unrelated.

In this case, as you were told in your other post, it looks like you fell for a SCAM

Work only with Paypal and then only from the Paypal website itself.

And change your passwords of course.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Identity confirmation?

Hello everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 13 of 13
latest reply