Issues with Managed Payments

Our company sells on EBay and our payments have always been managed by Paypal. We have never had any problem with them but on January 12, 2021 EBay sent us an email asking to manage payments for our company's account promising no more PayPal payment processing fees and that we would have got paid directly to our bank account.
After a research on the internet, we understood that if we had not opted in for this program we would not have been able to sell anymore on EBay.
We have a registered business so we thought we would have not had any problem with this process but unfortunately this is not the case: in the beginning EBay's system has been unable to process payments because of a problem with our bank account. After we corrected it, your system started sending payouts but from January 30 stopped sending payouts stating that the system is unable to verify our company. In the meantime our items kept selling and EBay asked us to send items to buyers. Of course we also have paid the shipping cost to send the items to buyers. EBay is holding all the money for all the items we have sold since January 30 2021. Now EBay is also threatening to put further restrictions to the account if we do not update our information by February the 25th. We keep updating the information and sending the official letter of business registration with the Government of Canada, we also sent mine and my partner's SIN number as per your system's request and full banking information but the system keeps rejecting verification without any apparent reason. We have contacted customer service several times and every time the EBay agent from the Managed payments department opens the file, see the document we have uploaded, says the document is perfect and assures us that after a manual review in maximum 72 hours our problem will be solved but after a few hours we receive a rejection email. Lately, two of agents, in two different phone calls have been telling us that if the problem would not be solved by 72 hours, we would have received a phone call from a supervisor; well, we have never received any call from any supervisor. We have asked the agents to switch our company account back to the prior status but they refuse to do so, they say it's impossible because they no longer use PayPal but EBay still uses PayPal to invoice our company, in fact, today an EBay invoice for fees of $262.99 has been automatically paid from my company's PayPal account.
Just to be clear: EBay is invoicing our company for money that belongs to our company and they are arbitrarily holding. It's clear that when there is a problem, as sellers we cannot count on EBay but we are on our own. Anyone has experienced the same? If so, how did you solve?

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Issues with Managed Payments

Paragraphing and white space are your friends.

on January 12, 2021 EBay sent us an email asking to manage payments for our company's account

EBay is moving away from using PP as their payment processor for sellers.

PP will still be used by buyers and Managed Payments adds GooglePay and ApplePay as accepted forms of payment.

promising no more PayPal payment processing fees

MP also charges fees, in a slightly different format. There seems to be no practica difference in cost.

and that we would have got paid directly to our bank account.

But you won't be able to use MP to buy on eBay, or anywhere else.

we understood that if we had not opted in for this program we would not have been able to sell anymore on EBay.

Some of us have been holding out for months.

But in the long run, true.

EBay's system has been unable to process payments because of a problem with our bank account. After we corrected it, your system started sending payouts

but from January 30 stopped sending payouts stating that the system is unable to verify our company....Now EBay is also threatening to put further restrictions to the account if we do not update our information by February the 25th....We keep updating the information and sending the official letter of business registration ...

we also sent mine and my partner's SIN number as per your system's request

Sidebar, this cannot be demanded by eBay or Managed Payments. The SIN can be given voluntarily.

and full banking information but the system keeps rejecting verification without any apparent reason.

after a manual review in maximum 72 hours our problem will be solved but after a few hours we receive a rejection email.

Were the reps in the USA?
Were they aware that you are in Canada?

Did you ask them the name of the Canadian PrimeMinister?  That's only half a joke, a very large percentage of Americans are unaware that Canada is not a part of the USA and will apply US standards to Canadian questions.

EBay still uses PayPal to invoice our company, in fact, today an EBay invoice for fees of $262.99 has been automatically paid from my company's PayPal account.

Yes.

The fees for your sales are being deducted immediately, but your monthly fees, like your Store, are still paid through PP.

MP doesn't allow us to run a balance. We are required to deposit our MP monies either daily or weekly.
So there is nothing in MP to pay monthly fees from.

Yes. That is a stupid decision on eBay's part.

Anyone has experienced the same? If so, how did you solve?

Many.

tyler@ebay 

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

Re: Monthly Invoices. Posted recently on dot com.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ebay-no-more-monthly-bill/m-p/31623212#M1703275

Should be showing up for dot ca ummmmm shortly?

-Lotz

Message 3 of 51
latest reply

Hey Lotz, I received a notice about this yesterday, since I am on MP I guess. Supposed to start in March I think.
Message 4 of 51
latest reply

This is what the email I received stated... for those interested.

Dear XXXXXXXX,

eBay continues to enhance the selling experience, and we have important updates for the coming weeks for sellers whose payments are managed by eBay.

Simplified fees

eBay has created a simpler and more modern billing process to pay your eBay fees and expenses. Beginning in late March, eBay will phase out the billing of selling fees and expenses via a monthly invoice. Instead, eBay will collect fees and other expenses, such as those resulting from refunds, claims or disputes directly from your earnings. If your earnings are not sufficient to cover these amounts, we will charge your payment method on file (debit or credit card, and/or linked bank account).

• Examples of eBay selling fees include but are not limited to: insertion fees, promoted listings, listing upgrades, and store subscription fees.
  • You may find information on fees and expenses via the reports functionality in the Payments tab in Seller Hub.
  • Depending on your monthly invoice date, you may continue to receive invoices for both March and April. You must still pay any outstanding amounts that are reflected on invoices that you receive during this time. Charges will not be duplicated.

Expanded support for international selling

• If you offer to ship internationally, your listings may surface in buyer searches on supported international eBay sites. You may also limit the countries you ship to by selecting specific regions in your listing settings.
  • You may create listings on select eBay sites outside of Canada, such as the United States (www.ebay.com), Germany (www.ebay.de), and the United Kingdom (www.ebay.co.uk). Your earnings for these sales will be disbursed to you in Canadian dollars. We will continue to expand international selling to more countries in the coming months.
  • For more details on international selling on eBay, click here. Additional fees may apply if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the United States , but you will no longer pay third-party processing fees for international transactions.

A note on eBay listing policies

When eBay manages your payments, your listings are automatically updated to reflect all the ways buyers can pay. Please refrain from specifying preferred payment methods in your listings. For more information, see our listing policies.

To stay informed on updates about eBay managing payments, be sure to check out the Seller Centre and Help Hub.

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

The reps were in the USA but they knew we are in Canada. Two days ago I was able to speak again to a rep and he told me "give me just a minute to check with my team and supervisor and I will get back". I told him that if there was a team that was the right time to put them to work and that I wanted to talk to the supervisor. He replied that they are all working from home so there is no team and no supervisor to talk to. When I told him that what they are doing is illegal, he started stattering so I asked again to speak to a manager. He told me that a supervisor would have called me in 24/48 hours. Sure. Of course no sup called me... 

I am thinking to report this fraud, they are holding $2000 now and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. My lawyer says that if we are in a good number we could start a class action. What do you think?

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

I have been waiting to see a seller come up with this suggestion.  I cannot understand how ebay can hold the funds they do that I read about here... and before "someone" posts about not believing everything sellers post, I say they can't ALL be wrong or have misunderstood something. 

They really, REALLY should have put MP on the back burner until they could actually be in an office together, have a manager or supervisor on the floor that can take the phone.  To try and do this with all the questions, problems, inquiries they have with customer service reps working from home with no support is just a very poorly planned roll out.  Good luck with your efforts, I will watch for updates!

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

Thank you very much, I agree with you, this is really poorly managed. In the meantime I have seen that a lot of peope are having the same problems so I guess we will definitely end up with a class action. I have started to contact the other people who have opened topics like this, we should start by connecting and then decide how to proceed. I want to be honest, we have already reported this to the authorities because EBay cannot keep holding our money and act like they are not liable. I would suggest everyone who is experiencing this to do the same. We have also put our account on vacation so no more sales until we receive our money

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

When you think about it...

You send an item to sell to an auction house.  They auction it, get paid, deduct their fees and hand you the rest.  They don't hold it pending whatever.

You send an item to a consignment store to sell.  They sell it, get paid, deduct their fee and hand you the rest.  They don't hold it waiting to see if the customer returns the item.

Ebay really is an auction house / consignment store.  Without sellers with worthy items there is no buyers.  It all starts with sellers.  That seems to have been lost along the way.

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

I agree. We will try to remind them

Message 10 of 51
latest reply

Fun Fact about creating a new listing with MP?

Field to add Sellers Payment Instructions has been purged. If you filled it in previously it may display with older listings but you are unable to modify if you edit those listings.  I used this field religiously to advise buyers to message me prior to payment if they were interested in combined shipping. Combined shipping is NEVER accurate for multiple unit purchases. This was not a helpful modification. Only text that may show up is Immediate Payment required if you've checked that box. (Discovered from listing in progress.)

-Lotz

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

For those following,

we have finally solved the problem!

EBay lifted restrictions on the accountand has started sending payouts.

It took us a good month of daily call requests, accaunt on vacation, countless requests to speak to supervisors (who never called back of course) but eventually someone really put their hands on our file and manually reviewed the information.

If you are experiencing the same, I would suggest you to put your account on vacation and start requesting their call on a daily basis 

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

You send an item to sell to an auction house. They auction it, get paid, deduct their fees and hand you the rest. They don't hold it pending whatever.

You send an item to a consignment store to sell. They sell it, get paid, deduct their fee and hand you the rest. They don't hold it waiting to see if the customer returns the item.

Well, actually.

Our auction house (online, phone/mail/fax bidding, live floor bidding pre-COVID, live internet bidding) does hold buyer payments for a week or more after we receive payment.

Basically, to keep our bookkeeper /business manager from having constant small jobs. She does them in batches.

And of course, we have to wait to be sure than cheque payments, which are common with our older customers, do not bounce.

But some items, usually those that are sent for expertising on buyer request, may not be paid for months, pending a good certificate. Some expertising bodies are faster than others.

I still have not completed signing up with Managed Payments but not for this reason.  Waiting for them to allow multiple bank accounts and foreign bank accounts.

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

I just received today email from Ebay to signup before may 30th. I had some concerns if someone knows answer. I sell on Ebay dot com in us dollars and of course have business canadian account in canadian dollars. Can I choose to still receive money from sales in US dollars and my bank will convert in canadian dollars like reception of international transfert ? Is this possible .

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

Under Managed Payments, Canadian sellers can receive payments from their US dollar sales in Canadian dollars, but it will be Adyen (the administrators of Managed Payments) who converts the payment to Canadian dollars, not your bank.
Message 15 of 51
latest reply

So far I am not a fan of MP at all. I signed up for it last Wednesday and received the email that all was good to go. I made my first 2 sales on Thursday....One USA buyer and one Canadian buyer. I have yet to receive the money for either sale yet the "payout" shows as being sent as of yesterday (May 4th) with a note that funds usually clear within 1-4 business days on payout being sent.  Tomorrow will be one full week. Kinda puts me to mind of the old days waiting for money orders to arrive in the mail. Not sure how Ebay feels that this in an easier wat to get paid.... I have put my listings on "time away" until it all gets sorted. IMO ,MP is like taking several steps back ..

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

with a note that funds usually clear within 1-4 business days on payout being sent. Tomorrow will be one full week.

I just looked at my PP account to check about transfers.

PP states that "standard" transfers will take 1-5 days.

But "instant" transfers are also available for a on percent fee.

This is for both USD and Cdn banks. (I have an American bank account for my USD payments).

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

Very interesting! You were having problems getting your money for sales from eBay for a month and then when you put your listings on vacation, the problem is fixed and you get your money.  Come on everyone out there who is having this same problem, put on your thinking caps. Why do you think that was?  This is soooo wrong.  A seller should not have to do all that extra work of calling everyday to get money which rightfully theirs!

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

It is not an easier way to get paid . It is very complicated and full of never ending glitches. Really makes you wonder about their new plan and their new payment provider.  Something off here. So glad, after reading all these boards that I did not sign up. After 15+ years of being a very reliable seller on eBay, I am throwing in the towel. Nobody needs all this bs. Good for you for putting your listings on time away. Why should eBay be getting YOUR MONEY when you are not getting it from them. If enough sellers do this it will hurt them in the the only place that REALLY matters to them. Their VERY DEEP pockets!

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

It's complicated and full of non ending glitches...but you haven't tried to sign up right?  I agree that some people do have problems, those are the ones that talk about them on the boards.  Many people do not have problems signing up so they don't feel need to write about their experiences.  Just because you have read about some having problems doesn't mean that the majority do.  I agree that there shouldn't be any problems at all but some are caused by MP system itself and yes, it can seem complicated. But  some problems are caused by people not reading the information before they sign up. I'm not referring to anyone on this thread or anyone in particular.

Message 20 of 51
latest reply