Managed payments is a mess for Canadian sellers who sell in USD

Got an email today saying to register and that I could register and choose USD payouts but after signing up I never saw the option to choose USD or even CAD for that matter, contacted support and they just keep telling me that no Canadian can get USD payout when there is literally a page (https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/usd-payouts.html) that says

• When you register for eBay as a business or by invitation, you will have the ability to choose your preferred payout currency when managing your payments.

Has anyone else signed up and gotten USD payouts? I really don't want to have to make a new account just to get paid out in USD, and I don't want to be paid out in CAD and lose 4% on each sale for no reason. 

Support just confirmed to me that my account is locked to CAD and it cannot be changed, this is a complete joke and this needs to be fixed. 

tyler@ebay is there anything you can do to help me?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Managed payments is a mess for Canadian sellers who sell in USD

If CIBC is blocking your deposits, wouldn't it make sense to check in with CIBC about this?

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

Ebay has abandoned sellers with this issue. I have called them dozen of times and they cannot provide solutions. No one wants to open a new banking account just to receive US funds, while they don't allow Canadian sellers to use a US account with a routing number. So frustrating.

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

I understand your frustration, @fancygradetrinkets, but I’m unclear on what it is that needs “solutions” from eBay.

I’m assuming from your latest listings and your post that you’re trying to set up Managed Payments to make payouts in US dollars to a Canadian-based US dollar chequing account. What’s going wrong here?

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

rarefinds604
Community Member

I too have been drastically impacted by this change. From what I understand, if we registered with a CA account, we can only be paid out in CAD now. If we list on .com, it'll be listed in USD, however, once we sell we'll be paid out in CAD since our managed payments are with a CA bank account. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I assume the currency conversion would be horrible if we sold on .com.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

Canadians can register in Managed Payments with either a $C account or a $US account at a Canadian bank but they have to choose one and can't change the currency on that ID once they are registered.   If you set up your MP with a $C account then yes, your .com sales will be converted to $C before they can be put into your bank account. The currency conversion rate will be similar to many banks rate PLUS 3%.

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

I checked with CIBC's head office who said they never block deposits 🙄

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do no think it is possible for Canadian seller with PRIVATE newly set up eBay account to get paid with US$ even when one has a US$ checking account in Canadian bank. I just went through all this trouble but MICRO deposits eBay promised to sent to that checking account do not go through. I sold an item for US$ just for a test but a payment is on hold by eBay. I do not think it will ever go through to me. eBay Customer Service were not able to help. They themself know nothing about how to fix this issue. What a looser company.

May be, just maybe it would be possible to set all above up if I had opened a new BUSINESS account but I do not want ro have a BUSINESS account as I am selling exclusively my private stuff. At lease here eBay claims that this i possible:

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/usd-payouts.html#:~:text=No%2C%20you%20cannot%20ac....

I have no trust to them in this though.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD  --  or maybe just a lich.

Started last May and the information may be out of date already. There have been a lot of changes to the MP system since then.

The micro-deposits have been reported as unusable.

Try your passport or drivers license instead. The program basically wants to confirm your identity.

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

It's January 2022 and I have a two separate CIBC accounts the ebay will not recognize.   The online support takes literal hours and they are of no help and offer no advice.   They literally keep saying to "open another bank account".   WHAT other bank account?   My money is stuck on ebay, illegally hijacked now.   With ZERO assistance.

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

A couple of things to check...

Make sure the account is a chequing one

Your registered name on eBay must be identical to the one on the bank account

Double check that all personal info on bank account and eBay are identical.....address, birthdate etc  

Message 30 of 46
latest reply

I totally hear and agree with what you have experienced. I did not jump on the "Modern way to get paid" - I do not trust Ebay with access to my bank account . Last month in January I finally gave in and started a USD account at my CIBC bank. Totally the exact experience - micro payments never happened and have two sales on hold as I am NOT SHIPPING ANYTHING until I get paid. I have contacted the buyers and told them to pursue returns via their payment method as I was unable to cancel their purchases and return their money. I will sell to them once they get their money back. This "modern payment" system is just a cash grab / extortion by Ebay - they pocketed huge from the sale of Paypal and now are gouging us with higher fees 😞

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

I forgot to add : I had 150 listings "paused" while I took my MP "hiatus" - when I elected to start selling under Mismanaged Payments pogrom they only allowed me to list 50 items and the 100 remaining were deleted !!

All those listings simply deleted - blown away !!

Despicable behaviour from Ebay !!

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

Anyone has new information? I am on the same boat as many others, have a .com account for 20 + years and now trying to sell again. I tried to set up the bank information (Canadian based USD account with TD) and micro deposits did not go through. I've been trying to solve this with eBay support for the past couple of months and I am getting tired of this.

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

@bluejaysfan

Your problem isn’t the bank information. The problem is you registered with a US address on the .com site back in the day and are unable to change that address now.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s a fix for this yet, but you might want to try opening a ticket through the Facebook or Twitter online chat functions so that you’re at least on the system’s radar.

Unless you want to go through all the tax-related stuff of establishing yourself as a US-based seller. 😕
Message 34 of 46
latest reply

Based soley on your FB received as a seller, you may as well continue using this account as a buying account, which it seems primarily to be, and to start all over again with a new selling account.

Open it on dotCA.

You will still be able to list in USD on dotCOM.

But a new account will allow you to use an existing chequing account in a Canadian bank - whether that is in USD or loonies is up to you.

(Think about how the bank handles USD being deposited into a USD account in terms of currency exchange.)

You will be facing some restrictions like any new seller, but if you contact eBay (use social media) after 30 days and show them your existing account, you may find those restrictions lifted.

You will lose those 85 selling feedbacks.

You will be making a new listing for your new account, but with only one listing at the moment, that shouldn't be onerous.

Take a deep breath and go for the money not the principle.

It's business, not personal.

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

@marnotom!

Thanks for the reply. I did not register with a US address though. I never had a US address, and I have been using my current Canadian address for the past 18 years or so.

I've called the customer service numerous times, and they don't seem to know how to fix the issue.  I talked to a very nice guy from CS last week and he is trying to follow up with me. I attempted to verify the bank account with a statement one more time, and I received a reply saying that "the account has been verified". I went to the "sellng" section of my account and it still ask me to update the banking information though.

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

I am thinking about this. It sucks to lose the feedbacks, but it doesn't look like I have another option. 

Can you elaborate on "the bank handles USD being deposited into a USD account in terms of currency exchange"? I assumed that there is no exchange involved is it not? I believed someone else has asked in a previous thread, but I don't think there is an answer posted.

Sigh, I really missed having paypal as a USD wallet.

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

@bluejaysfan wrote:

@marnotom!

Thanks for the reply. I did not register with a US address though. I never had a US address, and I have been using my current Canadian address for the past 18 years or so.

Bluejays.jpg

Okay, so I'm having some dim flashbacks of an email my wife--who registered in 1999--received from eBay sometime after the dot-ca site became a thing.  It said that members who had registered around that time on the .com site had their registration information tied to the dot-com site.  The email was inviting these users to have that information transferred to the dot-ca site, but there was nothing in the email that suggested that there would be repercussions if they kept their registration information "stateside".

I'm now looking at my wife's (pretty much inactive) ID information and it, too, says that she's registered in the United States despite having provided Canadian address information.  It's just wild speculation on my part, but I don't think it always said that, so I'm thinking at some point, any user who had registered on the dot-com site back in the day and didn't have their registration information transferred to their "home" eBay site may have had the displayed information changed to the United States.  It could have always been this way, I suppose, though, and with the tightening of security measures that's come with Managed Payments, it may only have become a problem very recently.

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That's incorrect.  Once sellers choose their payout currency for Managed Payments they cannot change it.

If a seller's currency is in $C and they list on .com, their funds will get transferred to $C before being deposited into their bank.   When Paypal was the payment processor listing on .com would result in the seller being paid in $US but that is not how it works now.

This post will try to address 2 issues. Unfortunately with most things eBay often 1 change ends up affecting something else in the process. The dreaded cause and effect!!

When MP was being talked about over 3 to 4 years ago that was a question that came up regularly. The option to listand get paid in US funds. When MP was implemented there was a definite time lag before it became available. When I signed up for MP it wasn't an option/possibility. 

When it did kick in it was an either or. Going forward if you wanted to get changed to being paid in US funds you risk losing years of built up feedback. Your basic history of selling on eBay. I would love to get paid in US funds but for me it doesn't work. I need access to the shipping calculator...something I cannot do on dot com. As a Canadian seller we can only use flat rate or calculated. (Or build it into your prices..if that works for you.) Rate sheets do not. Too many variables especially with floating fuel surcharges and trying to cover the fees on taxes. We now have access to Fedex on dot ca...except without a calculator.  Pretty sure for US sellers with the other choices they have calculated is available with UPS/FedEx. All the systems need is the capibility to add an account number. Not rocket science.

eBay has gone to a model where they feel the best way is to remove choice. Instead we get to use the lesser of 2 evils!!!

-Lotz

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

That's great observation, and potentially this could be a problem. I thought "member in United States" means I registered on the .com site, and nothing more. The Canadian site a few years later (honestly I don't remember when) and I could login with the same password so I did not bother to read the details as I was able to buy, sell, and get the payments without any problems.

I'll see if anyone knows about this the next time I talk to the CS to see if he knows anything about that, even though the chance is slim.

Message 40 of 46
latest reply