My eBay prepaid cards won't let me checkout

Hi everyone,

I've been having this issue since last year, and I still can't seem to get this settled, so I'll get some opinions on it.

I've been shopping on this site for over 3 years now, and generally, it's accepted my eBay pre-paid cards without any hitch. I prefer not to link a credit/debit card and bank info online. lol But fast forward 2021, my pre-paid cards ALWAYS get blocked on  attempting to pay for items. I'm something of an action figure collector, but I do buy other items, and they still can't process my payment. It's like they're phasing out Canadian eBay cards, that's not it, is it?

I've had to contact countless staff on eBay chat regarding this annoyance, and while I thank them for their attentiveness and somehow unblocking payments one by one, the issue seems to never want to resolve itself, even after waiting for the periods of times I am suggested to wait by support on these chats. It's like there's no urgency on the matter of blocked payments. I now have almost 100 dollars CA just sitting here and I can't use it. It feels like my payments are blocked permanently. I am getting kind of weary of having to enter a support chat each and every single time I want to buy something. Is it a Paypal issue? A glitch in the system? I'm very frustrated with this, it's kind of bothersome, especially when I want to buy a rare item that's in high demand.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue, as it's really driving me bonkers.

Thanks 🙂

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The issue is probably because over the past year eBay has switched from having all payment processed through Paypal to doing it through Adyen, they call it Managed Payments. This mostly affected sellers sine buyers could still pay with (most) of the methods they used before. They added a couple of new payment options like Apple Pay and Google Pay. I recently found out Discover was removed. You can still pay with Paypal but you have to chose it as an option. I recently got a prepaid card and wondered if it would work here since the changes and (as suggested to me) I added my Prepaid card to my Paypal wallet and paid that way. It worked for me, from the eBay site after clicking Paypal it let me choose the method and my prepaid card was in there. Maybe this will work for you.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@tabuuforte wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been having this issue since last year, and I still can't seem to get this settled, so I'll get some opinions on it.

I've been shopping on this site for over 3 years now, and generally, it's accepted my eBay pre-paid cards without any hitch. I prefer not to link a credit/debit card and bank info online. lol But fast forward 2021, my pre-paid cards ALWAYS get blocked on  attempting to pay for items. I'm something of an action figure collector, but I do buy other items, and they still can't process my payment. It's like they're phasing out Canadian eBay cards, that's not it, is it?

I've had to contact countless staff on eBay chat regarding this annoyance, and while I thank them for their attentiveness and somehow unblocking payments one by one, the issue seems to never want to resolve itself, even after waiting for the periods of times I am suggested to wait by support on these chats. It's like there's no urgency on the matter of blocked payments. I now have almost 100 dollars CA just sitting here and I can't use it. It feels like my payments are blocked permanently. I am getting kind of weary of having to enter a support chat each and every single time I want to buy something. Is it a Paypal issue? A glitch in the system? I'm very frustrated with this, it's kind of bothersome, especially when I want to buy a rare item that's in high demand.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue, as it's really driving me bonkers.

Thanks 🙂

tyler@ebay 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
What’s an eBay pre-paid card? Is it different from an eBay gift card?
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
What’s an eBay pre-paid card? Is it different from an eBay gift card?
Does eBay sell prepaid cards?

Note: Approved third-party retailers or service providers can sell electronically-delivered gift cards on eBay, provided they are vetted by eBay. ... Electronically delivered gift cards (from non-approved third party retailers) Prepaid credit cards (or money cards) from American Express, Discover, Mastercard, or Visa.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

It has been my understanding that Managed Payments increased the number of ways our customers could pay.
I discount the Discover card, since it has never been accepted in Canada at least in the over the counter retail market.  Perhaps those times it was, the listing was on dotCOM?

ApplePay doesn't seem to be active yet, but GooglePay is.

@tabuuforte 

If your concern is security, you are better off with Paypal than with any gift card, including eBay prepaid cards.

Basically those cards are cash. Once used, there is no possibility of a refund.

With Paypal , especially if backed with  credit card, you are protected for 30 days from delivery by eBay's Money Back Guarantee, for 180 days from payment by Paypal's Buyer Protection, and by whatever chargeback policy your credit card has.

Other weak security payments are bank balances, PP balances, and debit cards.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Can I do this with eBay gift cards too?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

No, it is an ebay gift card, a physical card I bought from a convenience store.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I may be "better off", as you say, with Paypal, but that still entails using bank account info.

eBay gift cards (physical ones), that's what I use. I've never had a problem with them until now.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Sorry, I'm not sure about eBay gift card in particular, the one I used was a prepaid card but Mastercard.

I would think the gift card should work on it's own for you here (sorry I misunderstood I thought it was a prepaid card, my mistake)....I know I saw those eBay gift cards at the grocery store on the gift card rack.

What else would they possibly be used for if you can't use them here!

There must be a place to enter gift card number?! Maybe you have to click on one of the other payment options first (even if you don't use it), and see if there is an "enter gift card or coupon code".

I could have sworn there was something that said this. Good luck!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I did just that, but for some reason, the payments stay blocked.

When I chatted with eBay reps the 100 times I wanted to purchase something, I keep being told "It's a warning system for at-risk transactions." Problem is, it's doing that for everything I want to buy, even stuff here from Canadian sellers!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Hi @tabuuforte - I'm sorry this has been a headache for you, and I hope you're able to continue to easily bid on and purchase the action figures you collect (I'm a big Star Trek TNG Playmates figure collector myself).

When it comes to using gift cards there are limits to how many can be used in quick succession, though I doube that you're coming close to those (link here).

If you're not hitting that limit, it could also be a potential fraudulent flag, which would require you to work with CS directly to allow you to proceed with the purchase. Sorry I don't have a simpler answer for you!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Oh, thank you SO much for coming! I like Dragon Ball S.H. Figuarts figures of characters I like, I don't collect the entire line. I want a King Cold so badly!

No, I usually only purchase one 200$ card monthly at most, so I doubt that's what's causing it. But as for that fraudulent flag, what does it take to trigger it, or how long must I wait to buy another item? I'm a little weary of being forced to contact CS each time I want to buy something, it's like the flag is activated on anything and everything I try to pay for.

Either way thank you for taking time out of your day to try and help. Cheers!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Just to add more information (from a guest).

I am also encountering eBay.ca Gift Gard (pre-paid at $200.- CDN) after partial use not being accepted as payment.  On the eBay Check Out Page the: seller's item appears; the required charges; and the remaining balance on 2 Gift Cards appear. One of those Cards will cover the balance (on many different purchases at different sellers). But after I tap the payment coverage with a Gift Card the "Confirm and pay" button to finish the transaction does not go blue, only the balance is shown deducted from my balance.

As the "Confirm and pay" button does not change to blue it can not be activated. Neither the current transaction, nor any other has been able to be completed. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

As this thread is already 2 years old, the info and/or solutions may be outdated and/or irrelevant but did you try the advice given in this thread by eBay support?(..."When it comes to using gift cards there are limits to how many can be used in quick succession, though I doube that you're coming close to those (link here).

If you're not hitting that limit, it could also be a potential fraudulent flag, which would require you to work with CS directly to allow you to proceed with the purchase.")

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Outdated Zombie thread from 01-29-2022

Message 16 of 16
latest reply