Warning sellers, Ebay is stealing money if they dont approve your banking institution.

Ebay will steal your money if you do not use the bank they want you to use.  Sellers beware. Tangerine Bank, a fully owned subsidiary of The Bank of Nova Scotia will not be approved for my own money, Ebay is saying they will not pay me unless I go open a new account somewhere else.   They are scamming customers. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Warning sellers, Ebay is stealing money if they dont approve your banking institution.

They keep telling me its not a supported option. I envy you! Bigtime. Its the only bank I use. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

yeah, ok..I suspect only a small majority of sellers have ever encountered a problem when setting up their bank account with eBay, so highly doubt there is any need for "the sky is falling, the sky is falling".....

not everyone is going to use Tangerine anyway...

however, the rest of us seem to be managing quite well with the bank account that we have selected.

I suspect there is more to this, most likely other issues at hand...

If you are new to selling on eBay and new to eBay's Managed Payment system, you will need to set up your banking account as per eBay's criteria...

If you are new to selling on eBay you will need to follow all eBay's rules and policies as to how they pertain to new sellers...

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Thanks nice that it works for you, however; Ebay still has my money and wont even tell  me a fully supported institution I can get paid from. They said go open a new acct and try again. 

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

obviously you and/or eBay are misunderstanding whatever the issue is ...you should contact eBay via social media(their facebook or twitter page)and/or the chat line to help resolve issues---phone support is basically useless.

BTW, If you are a new seller here, eBay won't release your funds right away...there will be a hold of up to 30 days...that is an eBay policy for new sellers and/or sellers returning to selling on eBay after a lengthy absence and/or infrequent/occasional sellers...

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

One frequent problem is that robots are stupid.

GIGO

All your names must match.
If your name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

you cannot have a bank account as John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

a Managed Payment account as J J  Jingleheimer Smith,

and an eBay account as JJJ Smith.

I thought Tangerine was a division of the TDCanadaTrust?

Check that the bank code matches your bank.  Every. Single. Didget.

We had problems with one MP account because eBay had assigned our MP to the correct account number but somehow attached the wrong bank number.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I use tangerine just fine for months.
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Ive been on ebay nearly as long as you, you have one more year than I do. I tried support and spoke to two individuals who offered essentially no resolve, and no explanation. Just repeated that this must be frustrating.  

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Tangerine is  fully owned by Scotiabank. They were formerly ING Direct.  They've never had any connection to TDCanadaTrust. I tripple checked everything and spoke with two support individuals. 
They only tell me to open a new acct. I asked for a manual verification, or the option to upload my direct deposit form from the bank to no avail.  

Thanks for your detailed reply. 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

They keep telling me its not a supported option. I envy you! Bigtime. Its the only bank I use. 

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

according to your feedback, you have had an absence from buying & selling on eBay and as per eBay's policies for sellers, that automatically puts you in the category of " a seller returning after a lengthy absence" and therefore eBay lumps you into the same category as "New" sellers...

and I am very familiar with that situation...I did not list/sell anything on eBay for 6+ months during 2021>>>

I was thrown into that policy situation where I had to start all over again with the listing limits, payment holds, etc...

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for the correction.

You do know that the phone clerks don't work for eBay, right? They work for a subcontractor somewhere in Utah and are notoriously poorly trained.

And have some problems, especially the US based ones, with concepts like "Canada is a sovereign nation". At least the Philippino subcontractors probably have a cousin working in health care in Edmonton.

Use the social media accounts which are covered by eBay employees who are well trained and have some authority

Bonus- with those you get a transcript which allows you to check if what you were told is what you heard.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@mattydevine wrote:

Ive been on ebay nearly as long as you, you have one more year than I do. I tried support and spoke to two individuals who offered essentially no resolve, and no explanation. Just repeated that this must be frustrating.  

As @reallynicestamps suggests, the big problem with the phone reps from a Canadian eBayer's perspective is that they're outsourced call centre employees working out of the United States.  It's likely that they're trying to interpret the error messages that you're getting and because they've likely never heard of Scotiabank or Tangerine, they figure the problem is your financial institution.  

Are you trying to set up a US dollar checking/chequing account with Managed Payments?  I'm thinking not, as you seem to be listing on the .ca site in Canadian dollars, so the problem is more likely that the personal information you have on eBay doesn't match the personal information you have with Tangerine.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Must be good... Tangerine Bank has Scene points.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

thank you useful your reply😍

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

thank you useful your reply😍

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

I've also used Tangerine since the forced MP thing. It works fine. But you should have a chequing account and not a saving account.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

That can not be the "real" ebay problem -- my Tangerine chequing account works fine for my ebay.ca sale deposits since 2020.  There is long list of other problems when getting payments set up, but canadian $ deposits to Tangerine.ca is not one of them.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Have the exact same problem. Tangerine account wont link. "Not supported please use a different bank". talked to 4 different support reps. 3 told me there should be no problem just wait 24 hours see if it fixes, and one said they don't accept tangerine and open a new bank account. Went to twitter who sent me back to ebay support chat bot. I literally do not know how to solve this problem. And before anyone asks;

-yes its a chequing account

-yes my names match perfectly to both accounts

-yes my addresses match

What an absolutely painful company to deal with.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I opened a business account for our non-profit thrift store in early August.  I've personally sold on ebay since for well over 20 years with no problems, but this business account is hell.  We've had $800 sitting waiting to get paid our since mid-August.  I've been chatting every 48-72 hours with help trying to figure out whatever vertification error is happening, but they all just tell me to wait another 48-72 hours and a banner will appear to tell me what the issue is.  And the banner never appears.  I've tried messaging their social media pages in the comment above but I can't get replies.  I don't know what to do.  Any other ideas about how to talk to someone who can actually solve a problem at ebay?

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

was this phone coversation or the chat line? I have had reasonable success using the chat line for issues/problems where you can actually talk to a supervisor and/or someone higher up of authority that can actually address the situation and give assistance to resolve if the first someone cannot provide the necessary assistance..

Message 20 of 25
latest reply