Additional costs for FedEx?

Hi there!

While I am an experienced eBay buyer, I'm a relatively new seller.  When shipping one of my recent sales, I noticed that FedEx was cheaper than CP, so I used them.  The quoted price was $26 yet I'm being charged almost $43.  

So I'm wondering if this is normal, and why anyone would use FedEx when you charge your buyer one price and then you get hit with a fee that's 50% higher!  

Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Additional costs for FedEx?

I've also started to use the Fedex ecomony option lately, since in most cases it arrives to the buyer in 1 day.  The rate I get is also usually about $5-8 lower than Canada Post.  I just checked my order details and I am charged the correct amount by ebay.  

If I understand correct you got an order, went to the order and clicked "purchase a shipping label".  From there it lists the shipping service the buyer selected and then under that it lists more options for shipping.  You then selected the deeply discounted Fedex option that said example $20 and purchased the shipping label.  Then later when you checked how much shipping fee was deducted from your order and it was 50% higher example $40 instead of the stated $20 when you purchased the shipping label.  

That definelty shouldn't happen are you sure you aren't also looking at the Ebay Fees as well that were deducted?  If Ebay said it was $20 and you purchased the label at that price, then that is what should be deducted.  

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Maybe, because you do not have calculated shipping set up in your listings with the packed weight and dimensions of the package, ao as the actual shipping costs are shown to the Buyer instead of your "guesstimates" which you offer as "shipping costs".

And, shipping costs have promotions that are time-limited and can change overnight...

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thanks.  In fact I selected a box and packed it before listing so that I could accurately enter the weight and dimensions when I created the listing. When it came time to ship, the CP fees were almost indentical to the fee I charged the buyer.  However on that same page, I saw that FedEx was offering a cheaper option, so I took that...now 10 days later, when I'm getting charged for the shipping, the cost is 50% higher.

This doesn't seem right to me.  Do I have any recourse?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I consider @lotzofuniquegoodies to be the FedExpert on the Canadian eBay discussion boards.  Hoping they'll weigh in at some point.  I'm under the impression from recent discussions that FedEx is a recent addition to the eBay Canada shipping fold, but the options are flat-rate rather than calculated (like they are with Canada Post) and the whole set-up right now is pretty buggy anyway.

I'm not sure about what recourse you'd have here apart from contacting customer service.  (I'd suggest using one of the online chat options rather than the telephone option.)

On a slightly different note, it's not usually a good idea to use a different shipping method from the one on the listing page unless your buyer has given you the OK to do so.  (It's not clear from your posts whether your buyer was aware of this change.)  Some buyers do base their buying decisions not just on the item, but on the shipping service the seller employs, particularly if the shipment is to another country.  Just out of curiosity, was the item being sent outside of Canada?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I consider @lotzofuniquegoodies to be the FedExpert on the Canadian eBay discussion boards.  Hoping they'll weigh in at some point.  I'm under the impression from recent discussions that FedEx is a recent addition to the eBay Canada shipping fold, but the options are flat-rate rather than calculated (like they are with Canada Post) and the whole set-up right now is pretty buggy anyway.

I'm not sure about what recourse you'd have here apart from contacting customer service.  (I'd suggest using one of the online chat options rather than the telephone option.)

On a slightly different note, it's not usually a good idea to use a different shipping method from the one on the listing page unless your buyer has given you the OK to do so.  (It's not clear from your posts whether your buyer was aware of this change.)  Some buyers do base their buying decisions not just on the item, but on the shipping service the seller employs, particularly if the shipment is to another country.  Just out of curiosity, was the item being sent outside of Canada?

@marnotom! 

@scoobadivr 

Sadly or unfortunately when Fedex was rolled out 7 or 8 months ago with all the hoop and hollar they forgot to fully test it or have a working calculator tied to the discount. If a buyer and in cases the seller doesn't have access to the rates in play it will just scare potential buyers away. Very difficult to guesstimate if a seller chose to use the flat rate option with Fedex as an example.  Another issue cropped up after the fact. Sellers getting revised invoices for the shipping after processing on a delayed basis. If a seller had/has passed on savings to a buyer and Fedex revises the billing the seller in many cases will be out funds. There is no way to correct that discrepancy. Unless they wanted to wait until the billing appeared. 

I'm seeing a similar potential problem happening with this new level 4 discount with CP. If the discount (at the sellers discretion) is not visible the majority of buyers tend to go elsewhere if shipping cost is a decision maker. There is the partially working calculator(seller tool but that is unseen by the buyer) that lets a seller compare for CP between counter and discount rate. The same seller tool for the USA is not fully functional because of a missing zipcode field..... from day 1. (The tool looks like it was a copy and paste of the dot com version for sellers.)  I have been in contact with many sellers that would like to use Fedex over the last 7/8 months but they are not chancing using until these glitches are worked out.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

And in total agreement regarding last minute switches for shipping. If a buyer is quoted a specific shipping service that should be the 1 they get unless it is a same service upgrade on sellers dime. (Example: Small Packet Air upgraded to Tracked).

Why I have never been a fan of eBay's generic terms when it comes to US shipping to Canada. International Priority????

-Lotz

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I've also started to use the Fedex ecomony option lately, since in most cases it arrives to the buyer in 1 day.  The rate I get is also usually about $5-8 lower than Canada Post.  I just checked my order details and I am charged the correct amount by ebay.  

If I understand correct you got an order, went to the order and clicked "purchase a shipping label".  From there it lists the shipping service the buyer selected and then under that it lists more options for shipping.  You then selected the deeply discounted Fedex option that said example $20 and purchased the shipping label.  Then later when you checked how much shipping fee was deducted from your order and it was 50% higher example $40 instead of the stated $20 when you purchased the shipping label.  

That definelty shouldn't happen are you sure you aren't also looking at the Ebay Fees as well that were deducted?  If Ebay said it was $20 and you purchased the label at that price, then that is what should be deducted.  

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Hi there!

No the item was within Canada.  The cost that FedEx "advertised" was $6 cheaper than CP and in communication the buyer was talking about how much shipping was, so I thought if I could save them some money I would.  

Moving forward this will be moot becuase I am NEVER using FedEx.

Thanks for your reply!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Yes that is the approach I took.

When I saw the shipping options FedEx was $26.62; I clicked on Purchase, printed the label and shipped it.

10 days later I was charged $42.69.

I've reached out to Customer Service via email; they're usually quite quick so I will see what they say.

Thanks to all of you for your prompt replies!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Keep us posted, please, @scoobadivr!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Another issue cropped up after the fact. Sellers getting revised invoices for the shipping after processing on a delayed basis.

FedWx has always been notorious for this. They bill the recipient afterdelivery . Pre-GSP threads on the horrors of courier shipping abound in this.

For once the problem is more likely to be FedEx than eBay.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Last week I used eBay's Shipping Labels function for a package to go from Toronto to Arizona, USA. eBay showed that FedEx International Economy would be cheaper than Canada Post, so I selected FedEx for CAD $17.62. I printed that label on Aug. 30 and dropped it at a FedEx counter same day. It was delivered Sept. 1 or Sept. 2. As of Sept. 5 eBay still showed that I would be charged CAD $17.62

Now, Sept. 7, I'm being charged additional FedEx charges. eBay rep says they are: fuel surcharge $4.07;  and  misc fee $4.60. That's $8.67 on top of the $17.62 that eBay showed when I purchased/printed the shipping label. That's a big percentage increase.

The eBay rep (in chat) told me that this situation is common, that FedEx often adds fees well after delivery.

The Shipping Labels feature is not useful if we cannot trust it to give us accurate quotes. There's no way to accurately compare options if any shipment can have extra fees tacked on after delivery.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

That’s nothing! I shipped my item for $18.30 and then a few days later received an additional charge for over $160!! I’ve tried everything to get it back and so far nothing has worked. I’ve sold on eBay for 25+ years and I own a postage scale and measuring tape…
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@klank85 wrote:
That’s nothing! I shipped my item for $18.30 and then a few days later received an additional charge for over $160!! I’ve tried everything to get it back and so far nothing has worked. I’ve sold on eBay for 25+ years and I own a postage scale and measuring tape…

@klank85 

Did you get an explanation on why the extra charges? I would talk to Fedex directly and explain how the label was purchased. Their customer service is usually very helpful. When you printed the bill it should show the account number that was used for billing. It could be an issue there. Why it is ALWAYS a good idea to keep a copy for your records.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Old thread and this is directly to no one in particular.

As a buyer I do not purchase from companies that use FedEx, too often they will insist on a signature and when they can't get one it means driving to the closest depot. In City of Toronto traffic that can mean 30+ minutes each way.

Yes you can call and ask for a redelivery b ut if you are not home during the available delivery winndows that is no help at all.

Similar issues happen with Canada Post but in that case the "depot" is the local postal outlet which is usually within walking distance or a 5 minute drive.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 16 of 16
latest reply