Advice for Seller Shipping from Canada AND USA

I live near the US border, and have the option to ship via USPS to US customers. I'm uncertain of the correct way to post these items, so that both my American and Canadian customers have access. Two options I can think of:

A) List on CA, selecting Standard Int'l shipping (or some generic option).

B) List on COM, setting item location to the location of the USPS post office where it actually ships from.

I've read a few threads suggesting the latter. In this case, isn't the location inaccurate for potential Canadian customers? And won't Candian customers be wrongly charged the import taxes that Ebay automatically collects for international purchases? I've also read something about the option to specify multiple item locations from other threads, but I dont see this option anywhere when creating a listing... maybe it's not possible anymore?

Sorry if this is a rehash of previous questions. I know the COM vs CA question has been done to death, but I haven't seen a ton of border town specific questions that were up to date, and none that answered my questions.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Advice for Seller Shipping from Canada AND USA

@marnotom! wrote:
Maybe you needn’t ask for more, but sellers on Vancouver Island might. 😜

WOW, no one location there ....... unamused

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Yes, you get to use the truck lane. If you are delivering in a small car truckers like to try to let you know your in the wrong lane and regular vehicles that pass by in the citizen lanes often try and say your in the wrong lane too - but your not, the truck lane is commercial. 🙂

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

No idea whats its called out West but in Ontario you use the ACE secure Data Portal from the US Customs and Border Protection (https://ace.cbp.dhs.gov) to file the information about the items you are bringing across the border and DTOPS (Decal and Transponder online Procurement system)(https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#) to register your vehicle. There is a commercial toll you must pay every time your cross. Last time we crossed was February, it was $13.40 USD per trip.

Last year they made this method mandatory, even for small sized sellers. Apparently something about Chinese companies exporting to Canada, splitting the order into hundreds of fake de minimus purchases and trying to bring exports into the US without the appropriate duties. *le sigh*

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

We've shipped from the States and Canada according to the customer for years. Prior to this year we always used COM with stated location for tax purposes being Canada (<-- important).

On COM US customers are considered Domestic and CA customers are considered International (regardless of your own location). Therefore with USPS rates being low it is easier to set a flat rate for COM domestic purchases - this allows any US customer to purchase an item with ease. Canadian customers will be charged as International and can be set to variable rates or inquire about postage. Any import, export, or tax charges are set by yourself. If you charge tax, tax will be collected according to the tax table you enter for Canadian purchases, regardless of COM or CA. Don't use GSP, its a mess. 

Note: If you are driving over the border to ship, all items you are shipping are to be declared online prior to crossing and meet the de minimus for US citizen imports. You will be required to register your vehicle and yourself as a courier at the border and use the closest commercial lane. Your vehicle will be given a transponder to identify you, folks are correct it will identify the vehicle and allow customs to call-up your pre-approved de minimus inventory. This can take a bit to set up but can be well worth the outcome. ... with COVID restrictions I do not know if it is currently possible, the border is closed for good reason.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Therefore with USPS rates being low it is easier to set a flat rate for COM domestic purchases...

Or a Calculated Rate  using USPS for shipments with dimensional or location variations.

Canadian customers will be charged as International and can be set to variable rates or inquire about postage.

And Canada does have different charges than Overseas International.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply