After 18 years, no longer selling on eBay

After nearly two decades of active selling on eBay, I’ve had it, and will now sell on speciality websites.

eBay customer service is horrendous- inattentive, and could care less about helping Sellers — ultimately their most important “customer”.

The issues started with the odd switch to requiring personal banking information for all customers. Odd, because the world is moving away from this 
The final straw was when a Buyer wanted to get reimbursed for duty and tax. Buyers are not entitled to this, yet eBay would do nothing to help me, the Seller. I got all kinds of mixed messages from eBay but eventually they recommended that I lie and say the item was damaged, after I pay for the return. Ridiculous!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Getting quite a few private messages from other Sellers who also stopped selling on eBay.

Looking at eBay’s financials:
- double digit % drop in buying activity and revenue.
No surprise!
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Remember: in any 2-sided marketplace, the Sellers are the most valuable customer. If Sellers decide to list elsewhere, guess where the Buyers will go??
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Managed Payments is a return to the status quo ante 2015, when eBay was forced to spin off Paypal, possibly the most lucrative part of their business.

From 2015 to 2021, eBay was paying fees to Paypal instead of receiving them.

Switching to a new in-house payment processor just reset the clock to 2015.

There are some problems with Managed Payments.

Each eBay account must have a checking account attached. PP also allowed savings accounts.

Each MP account must be in only one currency and be attached to only one bank.

MP accounts cannot be used for purchases, on or off eBay.

AND

Bank transfers are automatic.

The last is the biggest problem.

For Store subscribers, it is very likely that when the monthly charges come due, and are taken from the MP account, there will be no money because they are going to be on a Tuesday at least once every seven months.

This does NOT enrich eBay, but it means that MP has to reclaim funds they transferred perhaps hours earlier.

I think this was an unintended consequence. But it is an extremely annoying one.

Since I signed up for Paypal in 2002, I cannot remember how PP demanded that I identify myself. I did have to give some banking information -- or I would not have been able to open the account.

It is very likely, given the cowboy/tech bro atmosphere of the internet two decades ago, that identification ws minimal.

It has become apparent that more security is needed with payment processing.  There have already been problems with the apparently simple and free e-transfer system.

And MP is getting the brunt of complaints about this, which could be regarded as increased personal security.

That eBay and MP are demanding more complete ID could be part of this. It might possibly maybe make identity thefts and hijacked accounts more difficult.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

"After nearly two decades of active selling on eBay, I’ve had it, and will now sell on speciality websites."

Which ones & good luck

"eBay customer service is horrendous- inattentive, and could care less about helping Sellers — ultimately their most important “customer”".

Nothing new there, they are underpaid "contractors" who do not really understand what they are doing, I have spent hours over the years talking to the "wind"

"The issues started with the odd switch to requiring personal banking information for all customers. Odd, because the world is moving away from this"

It's to tighten the movement of $$$ and to document the trail... 

...and digital coins are also being worked on by the Canadian Gov, to replace the looney, tooney, and the rest too, in a couple of years.

"The final straw was when a Buyer wanted to get reimbursed for duty and tax."

How did you ship the item? Canada Post, UPS, Fed Ex what did your listing say?

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121&st=12&pos=1&quer...

Informing overseas buyers about import charges

When you sell to buyers outside of Canada, import fees (including taxes and customs charges) may apply for the country you're sending the item to.

The fees are usually based on the item's price, shipping weight, dimensions, and country of origin, plus any taxes, duties, and fees from the country you're sending the item to.

Buyers are responsible for paying import fees, usually as part of clearing their parcel through customs or when they receive their item. If you offer international shipping, you can't include these costs in the item's purchase and shipping price. Make sure to let international buyers know this in your listings.

Some countries and jurisdictions require eBay to collect import tax from the buyer when they pay for their order. You'll find more details in our Tax policy.

"Make sure to let international buyers know this in your listings." Was this information in your listing ??

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

The OP posted about the "duty and tax" saga almost a week ago.  They received some questions, observations and advice and didn't get back to us on any of it.  I also see now that they've posted a "false positive" feedback for the buyer:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-has-become-HORRENDOUS-Buyers-can-claim-a-return-bec...

No wonder the OP wishes that eBay would embrace cryptocurrency.

The OP has made up their mind and I don't think anything we say is going to change their mind.  They don't seem to understand that it's buyers that bring the money to the site.  Sellers use buyers' money to pay their eBay fees, after all.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Oh man, just typed a long reply and there was an error when submitting, now the entire reply is lost. I'm not going to retype it.

Bottom line: eBay senior leadership stepped in and resolved the issue. I think they will work to implement changes to this type of request going forward. Buyers will not be able to open an 'Item Not as Described' case when they want Duty/Tax to be refunded.

Thank you all for your comments.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for that bit of information, @surge2017.  The buyer shouldn't have been able to open a "not as described" case if duties and taxes were an issue, but we still don't know why taxes were an issue in the first place if they paid them at the time that they purchased the drone off of eBay.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Unless something has changed, a buyer cannot demand you to pay their duty/customs fees.  All you have to do is contact eBay trust and safety, explain that and have them report the buyer.

I had a recent buyer state 'item missing parts' they made a mistake by stating the part in question.  It said directly on the manufacturers box, that part is not included.  I politely explained this to the buyer and informed them I would accept a return under the correct return reason (offered solution)  I called eBay reported the buyer and after the 4-5 days at eBays advice called back, they escalated the case and done buyer lost.

I agree eBay customer service is at an all time low.  Not every rep, but far too many untrained, lacking knowledge, giving false information or simply don't care.  I've contacted eBay more times this year over very simple matters, than in my previous 9 years combined.  That's my only complaint with eBay, their customer service.   

You can rate them.  For me good service = 5 stars and a nice comment.  Bad service = 1 star and a clearly explained reason for it.  Takes 3 minutes.

I only call now, it's very easy to deal with them over the phone.  Be polite, know the policies, be persistent, raise the issue to higher ups if neccessary.   Another issue is you can find eBay policies that are still on the website and are out dated by newer ones.  That helped me once this year.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply