American Sellers - please read this!

Just a bit of info you may or may not already know

when you choose the 'global shipping option' program, it automatically adds a duty/import/tax fee for international buyers.  As a Canadian buyer/seller, I personally stay FAR AWAY from the sellers using this option.  The fees that are automatically added to the total, are big.  Did you know that it is very rare that we have to actually pay import charges?  Perfect example - last week I received two brand name handbags with a value of almost $400 and guess what?  NO charges at all!  I know many of my fellow Canadian ebayers feel the same and perhaps there are some people out there that weren't aware of this!

Thanks for listening 🙂

C

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

For all the American sellers to read eh??

On the ebay.ca discussion board......

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

yea meant to post there...thanks for that yap

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Just because you don't like the GSO does not mean others don't.  Just saying...

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

The somewhat imperfect analogy I'm starting to use with the GSP versus the mail is that it's like speeding.  It's not often that people get pulled over for doing 70 km/h in a 50 km/h zone, but it can and does happen every so often.

The GSP would be like a supercop pulling everybody over the minute they went even a kilometre over the speed limit.  The mail would be pretty much how speed enforcement is being done now.

The rules are there.  I don't think it's fair to fault the GSP for following the rule book, much as we don't like it.

Anyway, feel free to post your concerns on the .com boards, Connie, although I think they've already seen their fair share of posts from unhappy buyers.  (Some of them, unfortunately, don't seem to know what they're talking about.  Some of them think that the import fees are all going into eBay's pockets, for instance.)

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To Marnotom, do you realize by opting in GSP, eBay is getting HUGE, I mean real HUGE final value fees on shipping costs which I think is attractive to eBay's greediness!  With GSP, the shipping costs are ALWAYS way high to the sky, therefore HUGE final value fees on shipping costs for eBay!!

GSP is a real bogus scam.  I received an average of 20 parcels/parcels (some very expensive and heavy) every week from US, I haven't been dinged for the import charges!   I prefer to take risks when they arrive at the custom border, not being forced to pay the so-called import charges on eBay at any time!!

eBay needs get out of this way and leave to our countries to decide to ding our packages/parcels!!  eBay, are you listening?  I doubt it because eBay is so greedy with $$$ in their eyes regarding the final value fees on shipping costs!!

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

You are absolutely right about the Global Shipping Option, and your message is informative, factual and to-the-point. There are many posts that agree with you, and a few wanna-be know-it-alls that need to argue. Numerous buyers no longer do business with sellers using GSO, and I am one of them. I think it would help to post your message on ebay.com. Even if it changes one person's opinion, it will be worthwhile. Thanks for your good work!
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

To Marnotom, do you realize by opting in GSP, eBay is getting HUGE, I mean real HUGE final value fees on shipping costs which I think is attractive to eBay's greediness!  With GSP, the shipping costs are ALWAYS way high to the sky, therefore HUGE final value fees on shipping costs for eBay!!

I'm not so sure about that.  With "regular" international sales on .com, FVF are charged based on the item price and the first domestic shipping option offered, not the seller's international shipping rate.  I can't see why it would be different for a sale made through the GSP.  In any event, I haven't seen any posts on the .com site's International Trading Board from U.S. sellers complaining about what you've described.  Perhaps they're too busy enjoy the 50% FVF reductions that eBay has been using as a carrot to entice sellers to use it in the first place. 

GSP is a real bogus scam.  I received an average of 20 parcels/parcels (some very expensive and heavy) every week from US, I haven't been dinged for the import charges!   I prefer to take risks when they arrive at the custom border, not being forced to pay the so-called import charges on eBay at any time!!

You may not like the GSP because it ensures that the buyer pays taxes owing on an item every time, unlike Canada Border Services and Canada Post, but I think it's a bit disingenous to label it a "bogus scam" when what it's doing is perfectly legitimate and in the Canada Revenue Services Agency playbook.  There's nothing bogus or scammy about it.

eBay needs get out of this way and leave to our countries to decide to ding our packages/parcels!!  eBay, are you listening?  I doubt it because eBay is so greedy with $$$ in their eyes regarding the final value fees on shipping costs!!

Again, I've seen no evidence that eBay is charging FVF on the component of the shipping costs that the seller didn't even charge the buyer in the first place but perhaps I haven't read that part of the seller terms and conditions that closely.  If you can post where you've seen this information, that would be appreciated.

By the way, most large commercial imports to businesses aren't done through the postal system and they get dinged with the appropriate taxes and duties every time. 

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/gnrl/txbl/mprtsxprts/mprtdgds-eng.html

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@andrea7335 wrote:
You are absolutely right about the Global Shipping Option, and your message is informative, factual and to-the-point. There are many posts that agree with you, and a few wanna-be know-it-alls that need to argue. Numerous buyers no longer do business with sellers using GSO, and I am one of them. I think it would help to post your message on ebay.com. Even if it changes one person's opinion, it will be worthwhile. Thanks for your good work!

I've never purchased an item through the GSP and don't intend to until a couple of kinks get worked out.  I did my homework before buying.  I get the impression that a lot of people with issues with the GSP didn't read the links the listing pages have with further information on it before committing to purchase the item.

What I have a problem with is that a lot of the arguments against the GSP are, to use another poster's term, "bogus".  Sure it's annoying to pay taxes (and sundry charges) on an item that would likely (But it's not guaranteed!) to go untaxed if sent by mail, but to call this a greedy move on eBay's part or a scam or some sort is grossly inaccurate and isn't likely going to win you any points with eBay if you're trying to convince them that it's moving in the wrong direction with this initiative.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Actually, you are incorrect about the legitimacy on having to charge customs charges every time - do you live in windsor? My husband works for the Windsor/Detroit border as a customs officer - do u think they charge duty on every single vehicle that passes through with purchases? I have driven across the border weekly with goods, that I declare true value with receipts, and *knock on wood* haven't gone in to pay duty once since 2011. So, yes it is bogus in my opinion. Also, I don't recall the tax rates being so high also....On a $100 item, the duty can easily be 20%+ on ebay!
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@connies2008 wrote:
Actually, you are incorrect about the legitimacy on having to charge customs charges every time - do you live in windsor? My husband works for the Windsor/Detroit border as a customs officer - do u think they charge duty on every single vehicle that passes through with purchases? I have driven across the border weekly with goods, that I declare true value with receipts, and *knock on wood* haven't gone in to pay duty once since 2011. So, yes it is bogus in my opinion. Also, I don't recall the tax rates being so high also....On a $100 item, the duty can easily be 20%+ on ebay!

I think you misunderstood my point, which was that it's legitimate for an outside agency to charge taxes (and duties) owing on an imported item.  For some reason, a lot of people who rail against the GSP think that the "import charges" in the program are going straight to eBay's large black cast iron pot rather than being remitted to the feds.

Of course customs officers can't charge taxes/duties on every single item passing through the border.  That's the main reason there's a tax/duty-free threshold or exemption.  The cops can't stop everyone who goes over the speed limit, either, but we shouldn't view it as "bogus" or a "scam" if we do get caught that one day a motorcycle cop is hiding behind the Timmy's billboard.

You do know that the "import charges" aren't just taxes (and duties, if applicable), though, right?  There are various fees associated with customs clearance that go into those charges, as well, just as Canada Post charges ten bucks to collect and remit the taxes assessed on a postal import by Canada Border Services.

And those import charges can vary considerably.  I just found a GSP listing for an Android phone that's selling for US$98.95.  The shipping price is what I think is a reasonable US$11.03 and the import charges for me in BC would be US$8.30.  That's nowhere near 20% of the item's price and it's even less than the GST and PST I'd pay on it if I bought it new here.  Interesting.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

YES. Fact: $800+ when import duties are applied and only then.
Under $800? Free to pass through Canada with no import duties or fees whatsoever.
Canadians may only pay the provincial tax on these items.
Global shipping program sucks.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

My bone to pick with GSP is that you do not know the total cost of shipping up front, just to KY and then you get nailed.   Similar to many I have got that nasty surprise where an item shipping ended up over double what was shown and I have stayed away since.  

From what I have read for bulky and expensive items it can work well for buyers but for lower value and small items it really tags an unknown premium on to the cost.    

But the volume of business to Canada for individual sellers in the US is not that high, and being able to sell to the entire world risk free is likely worth losing some Canucks.   And because international biz is a small part of what they do for most sellers, there is little need or interest in learning about customs document.  We Canadian sellers have that down pat as it is most of our sales.  I doubt we would be different if 98% of our sales were within Canada. 

It just gets tiresome when you spend as much time checking shipping as the item.   I may actually decide to order something I really needed if the total shipping cost was disclosed up front and I figure it is worth paying up.   Instead I am buying more from overseas or off of Ebay.

But none of this is new and I don't see any changes for GSP.    It is unfortunate as USPS has decent rates for shipping smaller items to Canada. 

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@bikecrazy888 wrote:

Under $800? Free to pass through Canada with no import duties or fees whatsoever.
Canadians may only pay the provincial tax on these items.
Global shipping program sucks.

This exhumed zombie thread will likely be shut down very shortly, but I feel I should point out the US$800 exemption you're mentioning is for duty on non-US purchases made by American buyers.  Most Americans now have to pay state and local taxes on items they purchase on eBay or any other marketplace facilitator and that's paid at the time of sale.

The duty exemption for Canada for goods sent by mail or courier is more complicated and a lot lower than US$800.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

My bone to pick with GSP is that you do not know the total cost of shipping up front, just to KY and then you get nailed.   Similar to many I have got that nasty surprise where an item shipping ended up over double what was shown and I have stayed away since.  

That's odd.  This is the first I've heard of this issue and I'm pretty sure nobody else has mentioned it in the eight-plus years of the GSP's existence.

Are you doing your browsing and buying on the .ca site and ensuring that your shipping location is set to Canada?  If your location is set to the United States, you're going to see American shipping rates and methods and no mention of the GSP until you go through checkout and confirm your shipping address.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Looks like I am out of touch.  The one buy I did was early in GSP days and the stated shipping and what I got charged were very different.    I see that there is a estimated import charge, which on the item I looked at was $15.42 and $11.41 shipping, so $26.83 total.  

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

ZOMBIE Thread

from 08-07-2013 11:30 PM

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@bikecrazy888 wrote:

revived a ZOMBIE thread from 2013

The real facts: 

Under the revised Free Trade agreement imports into Canada that were made in the USA only have duty if worth more than  $150 (the $800 duty exemption is for stuff heading into the USA).

Canadian sales tax applies if item is over $40 when sent through GSP.

-;-

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

ZOMBIE Thread

from 08-07-2013 11:30 PM

I guess this means buyers have been coming to the boards since 2013 and the situation hasn't improved when it comes to GSP. Kinda sad when you think about it!!  All that will be resolved was this is a Zombie issue that will be replaced with more zombie threads ending in the exact same outcome!!

Insert musical interlude here>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIVYII45Ng

-Lotz

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:
I guess this means buyers have been coming to the boards since 2013 and the situation hasn't improved when it comes to GSP.

Things have improved for GSP.   They have gone from bad to so-so for GSP USA.

GSP UK is on the expensive side, but very quick. My brother reports usual speeds of a week (or less) from time of purchase to time of delivery in Canada.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply