American Sellers - please read this!

Just a bit of info you may or may not already know

when you choose the 'global shipping option' program, it automatically adds a duty/import/tax fee for international buyers.  As a Canadian buyer/seller, I personally stay FAR AWAY from the sellers using this option.  The fees that are automatically added to the total, are big.  Did you know that it is very rare that we have to actually pay import charges?  Perfect example - last week I received two brand name handbags with a value of almost $400 and guess what?  NO charges at all!  I know many of my fellow Canadian ebayers feel the same and perhaps there are some people out there that weren't aware of this!

Thanks for listening 🙂

C

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:
I guess this means buyers have been coming to the boards since 2013 and the situation hasn't improved when it comes to GSP.

Things have improved for GSP.   They have gone from bad to so-so.

One thing that is most important when it comes to shipping/distribution...Especially in Canada. It's never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup plan and make sure it's tested/reliable. A major issue with the size of Canada is how the population is either very concentrated or extremely spread out and with nowhere near the options we had 30 years ago.  (Mergers rarely make things better.) GSP/PB should have been able to discover this out for themselves. It shouldn't have taken 10,000's of complaints to improve to "so-so". 

-Lotz

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

One thing that is most important when it comes to shipping/distribution...Especially in Canada. It's never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup plan and make sure it's tested/reliable. 

I though one of your concerns about the GSP is that buyers had no idea what shipper would be used once the item reached Canada?  My interpretation of the various posts about the GSP in the past eight-plus years is that the program has never been wedded to one particular last-mile carrier.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

One thing that is most important when it comes to shipping/distribution...Especially in Canada. It's never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup plan and make sure it's tested/reliable. 

I though one of your concerns about the GSP is that buyers had no idea what shipper would be used once the item reached Canada?  My interpretation of the various posts about the GSP in the past eight-plus years is that the program has never been wedded to one particular last-mile carrier.

Many buyers have reported it as a concern to me when they were speaking about their frustrations. The not knowing how/when it was going to specifically arrive. Throw in  the  reports of repeated similar collection of issues it doesn't give one very much confidence in the program. Maybe the programs name could be re-branded to GSSSP (Global So-So Shipping Program) to more accurately reflect the service you should expect.

-Lotz

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Many buyers have reported it as a concern to me when they were speaking about their frustrations. The not knowing how/when it was going to specifically arrive. Throw in  the  reports of repeated similar collection of issues it doesn't give one very much confidence in the program. Maybe the programs name could be re-branded to GSSSP (Global So-So Shipping Program) to more accurately reflect the service you should expect.

Let's just stick to one point here.  You state in post 21 that the GSP should put its eggs in more than one basket, but the posts about the GSP's last-mile carriers in Canada suggest that the GSP does use several carriers within Canada and that's a concern for you.  What exactly do you mean by the "eggs in one basket" crack?

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

My concern is the many buyers finds out long after the fact who the last mile will be. Show it upfront (based on postal code) and/or find a another carrier (besides  Apple) to use in conjunction with Intelcom within Canada. If they can? Have they even tried?

Has anyone from eBay/PB ever shown up on this forum to address all the known issues?

-Lotz

As a side, I have suppliers I buy from and am able to specify MY carrier of choice. Buyers should have that option, especially when they are footing the bill. Might make it easier when a buyer is considering using GSP in the first place.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

So the way I'm reading your post, the GSP is putting its eggs in more than one basket and that is an "issue" for you.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Just saying they've put them in 2 baskets (that I'm aware of) that don't work so great(Maybe for some, but not for all). How many reports should it take before it's addressed and improved?

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I doubt there have been that many reports.  Most buyers just want to have their items handled by competent human beings who will deliver them without loss or damage.

Just like back in the good ol' days, most people buying records didn't care what pressing plant was contracted for their vinyl records as long as they weren't warped and sounded good.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013

The problem with zombie threads is that the advice may be out of date or incorrect.

For example, the duty free allowance from the USA has risen from $20 to $150 as of July 2020, and the tax free allowance from the same to $40.

GSP seems to use Canada Post, Intelcom (awful), Apple (worse), CanPar and very occasionally FedEX. There have been a few reports over the years of local couriers, which may have been used when the final destination was near to the Canadian arrival point (Mississauga).

And of course, as always, we hear about problems, not successes.

But Intelcom is currently horrible.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply