Another Non-Paying Bidder

I am getting so sick & tired of all these deadbeat bidders repeatedly buying & then not paying. Just had another one to deal with. Buyer asked if I would combine shipping on 3 large lots of jewelry costing close to $500.00.  I agreed & they purchased & now have not heard or received any payment. The buyer has 3 negative comments (even though it shows as positive) from other sellers stating the person buys without paying. And these are only the ones I know about. So this person is in the habit of doing this. Why is eBay not getting rid of these people from their site? They benefit no one. So now my 3 large listings are being held hostage for 8 days till I can file a claim against the buyer & get my fees back & relist.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Another Non-Paying Bidder

Most UIDs are on auctions not Fixed Price, but most of your listings are FP.

You could try adding Immediate Payment Required to your FP listings and they would stay active until somebody actually paid.

This doesn't work with Auctions, nor with Best Offer.

Unusual for a special listing to become a UID, I think. Usually that customer is motivated.

The buyer has 3 negative comments (even though it shows as positive) from other sellers stating the person buys without paying.

Were those there before you agreed to the special price?

However, those sellers were at fault, since they chose to leave false positive FB (which the deadbeat can have removed) rather than the UID which gives her a Strike.

You can also set up your Buyer Requirements/Seller Preferences to automatically Block purchases from deadbeats with Strikes.

Good to know that you will be helping other sellers by completing the UID.

It looks like there will be a strong Christmas season among those who are in work at least, since they can't get out to shop and many have learned that they can do well with online purchasing during the Pandemic Surge in late Spring.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I do have my preferences set to block buyers with strikes, but if the other sellers never reported the person but just left feedback it wouldn't count I guess. I will definitely report this buyer for each purchase not paid for. But I think it will only count as 1 strikeagainst them instead of 3 like it should.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Yes when the Strikes are in quick succession AND from a single seller, three strikes do, I believe become one.

Sigh.

Still the deadbeat may have stiffed other sellers and have achieved the necessary two Strikes in 12 months that allow us to Block.

I believe that eBay will close accounts of buyer who have "too many" Strikes but they don't say how many Strikes that is.

I'm guessing the request to combine shipping came after purchase?  Because if it were a special order where you set up the listing, you can use FP and Immediate Payment. Even giving the customer a deadline after which the special listing closes.

I wish we didn't have to work around these annoying people whose eyes are bigger than their wallets.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The buyer actually asked about combined shipping before purchasing. I had sent offers to watchers for 2 seperate lots of jewelry & she wanted to accept the offers. She then bought a 3rd lot. I sent an invoice with combined shipping & never heard anything back. That was on Thursday.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It might not be the case in this instance, but we never know what is going on in the lives of the buyers we encounter.

I had a buyer that was days between things happening, and ultimately there was an issue, so to expedite things I called him.

It turns out he was only accessing eBay from the Library, so that was only once every few days to a week inbetween!

I've also had a number of folks delay their payment until their pension cheque arrives, sometimes that's a week or two too.

Sometimes being patient works out, sometimes it doesn't. I have a fairly safe crowd so my observations may not apply elsewhere....
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@ricarmic 

True, about not knowing what is going on at the other end. In the cases where a buyer purchases and then changes their mind, for whatever reason, it could be the embarrassment factor of honestly admitting their purchase was a mistake. How difficult would it be a buyer to be truthful and just message right after the fact to advise the seller? Or they forgot to look at the shipping cost? Best comparison I can think of is when someone dials a wrong number or pocket dials and then is too embarrassed to explain and just hangs up.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Unpaid Items are a pain in the (  )(  ), period.

But worse are those that pay and get Buyer Remorse...

Honestly, I have no respect for either.

And, I base my decision on how to handle èach`case based on eBay own `words``

---------------------------------------------------------------

Paying for your item

Buying an item or bidding on an auction on eBay is a commitment to complete your purchase. Even if you changed your mind or want to cancel your order, you need to pay for your item.

If you don't pay for your item, the seller may open an unpaid item case against you.

If the seller opens an unpaid item case, you can either pay for the item or state your reason for not making payment. However, if you don't make a payment, you risk having an unpaid item recorded on your account. Also, if you have excessive canceled orders on your accounts, we may limit or end your ability to buy on eBay."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the automated UIA and let that do its work, if a Buyer sends a message directly after an Unpaid Item case is automatically opened (I give 8 days to pay) with a `sob` story about why they cannot pay & and could I just `cancel` the purchase?

I reply with a simple

"Please respond to the Unpaid Item case as you have had 8 days to contact me to rectify this outstanding purchase before this case was opened by eBay. If you do not wish to honor your purchase, no worries the case will automatically close in a few days. Kind Regards."

"Even if you changed your mind or want to cancel your order" this is called BUYER REMORSE and should not be tolerated. No one forces a person to purchase something, the Buyer makes that choice, and if you "commit" to purchase it's because you did your research, read all the terms and conditions, and are ready to buy.

Changing your mind is not covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee... 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

My advice is that when reviewing an offer from a client or via messages, always have a look at the feedback they have left for others. If there's a pattern of negatives or neutrals I just block them and do not respond. Similarly feedback given to them by other sellers.
You are avoiding a lot of headaches.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I used to do this with Best Offer, but had too many low ballers and deadbeat non payers, so I switched to BIN with immediate payment. All that did was bring out the "cancellers" that have buyers remorse and want their money back. So, yeah, I can relist immediately, but I get a monetary penalty every single time that happens. Once a week, usually. Really chaps my a$$...
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

With Best Offer you can also set your parameters to automatically decline offers that are too low or accept those that are reasonable.

This saves a lot of angst over silly demands from entitled cheapskates buyers.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I have been selling jewelry also and it seems quite prevalent in jewelry auctions.  I am fed up as well.  Maybe I'll switch to Buy It Now with immediate payment required.  But it sucks.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Zombie Thread from 10-31-2020 01:39 PM

Message 13 of 13
latest reply