Another country - Norway - joins the "internet tax" crowd...

This might have been the case for a while, but I just noticed this today on a sale to Norway, the tax was added automagically as is the case for Australia, NZ, USA, GB Singapore etc.....more to come likely!

As a side note, I've noticed lately that the invoices for the UK do not appear to have the tax on them anymore, yet the ebay address has the "code paid" information imbedded into their address still - this makes me wonder if I'm supposed to be including it or not when I don't see any taxes added on the invoice (for any sized order).

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member

@ricarmic wrote:

This might have been the case for a while, but I just noticed this today on a sale to Norway, the tax was added automagically as is the case for Australia, NZ, USA, GB Singapore etc.....more to come likely!

It has been the case for Norway for a while, yes.  The EU is scheduled to jump on board at the beginning of July.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-ending--22-import-exemption--import-oss-returns....

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/modernising-vat-cross-border-ecommerce_en

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

As a side note, I've noticed lately that the invoices for the UK do not appear to have the tax on them anymore, yet the ebay address has the "code paid" information imbedded into their address still - this makes me wonder if I'm supposed to be including it or not when I don't see any taxes added on the invoice (for any sized order).

With this recent transaction to Norway did the VAT # and code paid display in Sellers Hub? To follow along, if it did display does it show up when you go to create a packing slip using eBay or if you attempt to create a label with eBay Labels?  eBay Label System currently skips important information like dollar totals including tax collected(In this case by eBay) customers phone number and an email address. A packing slip is required for shipping to many countries, needs to be complete/accurate and should not require generating forms in different areas within eBay. Past experience it did not show up for UK or Australia on the packing slip and I had to cut and paste to customs document.  It's definitely recommended to include this information for applicable countries to avoid the possibilities of customs delays and confirm tax has been paid as required.

-Lotz

PS. The information and format on the available forms and displays (eBay, EBay Labels, Shippo etc) has been modified - specifics added and removed, numerous times. (I have the screenshots) Really depends on what eBay is tinkering on at any given moment. What is most critical as far as a seller is concerned this information must be consistent/accurate between those forms at all times.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If you are referring to the code paid number, yes I think that should always be included somewhere on the parcel.

I've been trying to find direction on how to handle this too, I've had no trouble finding details around when UK Supply VAT is charged and who collects it but very little on the proper use of "GB 365 6085 76 Code:Paid". 

I've read some UK documentation that seemed to indicate that "GB 365 6085 76 Code:Paid" should be included with the customs declaration, and included on a physical paper CN22 attached to the parcel, but that was a fleeting reference made while discussing other aspects. Maybe just pasting on an address label containing the code is sufficient, I don't know?

I've been sending postcards by regular Letter-Post which of course includes no customs declaration, this sort of worries me from what I've read. I have been providing the code on it's own line as part of the mailing address. So, far these have made it through without any problems as far as I'm aware. 

The entire collection process is rather awkward, but I think ebay is probably handling invoicing properly. Remember that ebay is the entity that is UK VAT registered, not sellers using their marketplace. Since their sellers are not registered it would be improper, probably illegal for a seller to send customers invoices containing any VAT information. I feel this is the reason why ebay invoices available for printing on the seller side do not contain the amount of tax paid or any reference to VAT. 

If we were somehow able to review the invoice that UK buyers receive from ebay, I think we would find  the amount of VAT paid and ebay's registration number included. Those are the invoices ebay is likely required to archive and keep on hand and available for review, probably for years.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera 

The information I've been able to gather on this varies from eBay site to eBay site. I've included that number for every international shipment and haven't had issues to date. One explanation I got from UK eBay CS was that if is not included it would be up to customer to prove to UK customs that it had been paid before a parcel would be released. So the potential for delays.

See below: Accurate as of Jan/Feb 2021

Items sold to buyers outside the United States

Contact your local tax office for information on paying tax on items exported overseas.

Remember that as a seller, you may also have tax obligations in other countries

if you are doing business outside of the United States.

• UK & European Union: If you're selling to buyers located in the UK or EU, read our article on your VAT obligations in the UK & EU

• In 2021, there will be changes to the VAT treatment of imports into the UK and EU as well as certain shipments within the EU

• From 1 Jan 2021, eBay will collect and remit VAT on goods up to a value of £135 imported into the UK and sold to consumers

• From 1 July 2021, eBay will collect and remit VAT on goods up to a value of €150 imported into the EU and sold to consumers

• Australia & New Zealand: eBay is required to collect GST on orders up to AU $1,000 imported into Australia or up to NZ $1,000 imported into New Zealand
    The GST is added to the order total at checkout, then deducted automatically from the buyer's payment. eBay remits the GST amount to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or NZ Inland Revenue Department (IRD).

•  
  • Sellers must include eBay's tax details and the customs code on the package.

• Australia: eBay's ABN #64 652 016 681 Code: PAID

• New Zealand: eBay's IRD #126-101-678 Code: PAID
    • eBay does not collect GST on orders over $1,000. This is generally collected at the Australian or New Zealand border

• Norway: eBay is required to collect Value Added Tax on E-commerce (VOEC) on goods below a value of 3000 NOK imported into Norway. If a sale is within this threshold, the VAT is calculated on the order total (including shipping and any additional costs such as insurance).
      The VOEC is added to the order total at checkout, then deducted automatically from the buyer's payment. eBay remits the tax amount
      Sellers must include eBay's VOEC number on the package:
    • Example: VOEC no 2024926

-Lotz

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The "code paid" shows up as part of or the only part of street address line 2 in the order details page 

(this is where I copy the information from to fill out the online customs forms - this means you have to manually go in and update the customs form with the code paid line as the CP address lookup of course wouldn't ever have it).

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@ricarmic 

It took a mega deep dive to find out the above information and confirm for accuracy. The help info on dot com definitely is more detailed. A major portion of this confusion was caused by eBay's (paranoia) desire to remove information like phone numbers and actual addy's from eBay forms. Unfortunately that is required information in many situations and moreso for International or courier shipments. Yet when Canadian eBay sellers try to avoid something like optional SIN numbers or a specific request  from eBay for photo id it's a major to do. When something is optional it should say optional beside fill in the blank.

-Lotz

PS. Re code paid. That I is why I prefer the bonus custom form you get with Shippo vs an all in one label. It makes it super simple to add info like that or clarify that buyer is responsible for any duties, taxes and processing when applicable.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Norway is not a part of the European Union.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

On the topic of the VAT code showing up.......

I get them included in the address SixBit obtains from eBay but for some unknown reason Stamps.com does NOT retrieve the code although it does bring in a second address line if/when it exists.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply