Anyone here who sells metal items?

A couple of weeks ago my husband helped someone move, and he wouldn't take payment, so the man gave him 2 metal items to sell on eBay.

1)There is a brass pineapple ice bucket, I found several on eBay, my question is, should I clean it? Most of the ones on sale seem to be really bright and shiny.

2) Second is what I think is a copper bowl, it is very well made, what I think are dragon handles, and it is on feet. quite ornate. I can't find anything even similar. I don't think I should clean this one, it has a lot of patina. It is 18" long and 9" wide. Anyone here have any ideas? I don't know where to even start with a title or description. All the man told my husband was that it was "very old".

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Anyone here who sells metal items?

If the second item is in fact bronze, cleaning will dramatically reduce the value.

Try the ebay.com antiques discussion board, with pictures, for loads of expert advice.

Canadians are allowed to post there provided you can prove you are not hiding any Vietnam war draft dodgers.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks, I'll try there. I promise I'm not hiding any draft dodgers!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

maybe in you put a photo on somebody may be able to help you.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks,  I haven't got any help so far. I need to have an accurate title so at least it will come up on a search.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

That is a nice bowl ! Have you had it looked at by an antique shop ? You might get some good info from a reputable one.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I don't know of any antique stores near me. I am disabled and don't drive, so I have to rely on my husband when he is available, so I don't want to go too far away. It is obviously hand hammered. Can anyone identify the handles? Are they dragons?

I presume it is made of copper, the inside is very shiny, the outside could be bronze I suppose.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply