Are eBay Labels still using last month's fuel surcharge?

fbriere
Community Member

Although I have never used eBay Labels so far (I always move on straight to Shippo), I couldn't help but notice how the rate it was quoting was always off by a couple of cents.  $16.98 for Tracked Packet USA 500g instead of $17.02.  $14.00 for Expedited Parcel 750g (rate code B3, +QST) instead of $14.06.

I eventually figured out that those were the correct rates, back in April, before the latest fuel surcharge hike two weeks ago.  I'm used to eBay often using an old fuel surchage when billing shipping to the buyer, but this is on a whole different level.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing?  Does the amount magically correct itself at some point?  Does Canada Post not mind that a label has been underpaid?  Does eBay benefit from a deal where it gets to pick whatever fuel surchage it fancies?

I'm confused, to say the least.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Are eBay Labels still using last month's fuel surcharge?

fbriere
Community Member

For the record, the "Buying on eBay you saved C $x.xx" amount is also in comparison to last month's consumer rate, so this is not simply an additional rebate that eBay is generously bestowing upon us.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hopefully somebody mentioned to the tech folks when they put it in place that the fuel surcharge changes every month 😉

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I've read a couple of posts that said they were charged a few cents more than what the label had indicated they would pay so it's possible that we are being charged the correct rate after the fact.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

fbriere
Community Member

Well, color me surprised!  The labels now properly use the May fuel surcharge.

They're still sometimes off by one cent (due to rounding errors, I guess), but they're getting there!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It will be interesting to see if they are correct next monday when it will likely change again.....

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

On June 7 the fuel surcharge for domestic will increase by 1% and out of country by 0.5% (Priority Worldwide is unchanged).

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I've had the opportunity yesterday to give eBay Labels a try (as I said, I usually stick to Shippo, but those Level 3 savings were too tempting to ignore), and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the current fuel surcharge (12.5%, domestic) was properly used everywhere, be it for the price of the label itself, the (calculated) shipping that the buyer paid, and even the "Buying on eBay you saved C $x.xx" message.

It might have taken a few months, but it looks like they finally got it right!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply